+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 days Post Op, What I experienced in the first 3 days! Doing great!  (Read 1055 times)

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
I have now undergone my resurfacing at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow! Don't let this put you off, it is only an account of my experiences!
I merely list the unexpected experiences I had, some positive, some negative!
1) I reluctantly opted for the spinal block and sedative initially thinking that a general anaesthetic would be better! I fell asleep immediately upon being administered the sedative. I slept through all of the procedure and woke up in recovery! Brilliant!
2) As I continued to race and run prior to the op so I was race ready at time of op. My very low Blood Pressure and Resting Pulse Rate was a concern during recovery and the first 2 to 3 days.
3) My resting pulse was 35 and triggered the monitor alarm and my blood pressure was too low post op!
4) My body was numb from waist down, couldn't feel a thing, nor urinate!
5) When I tried to raise myself up and out of bed I was fainting, sweating, seeing flashing lights, light headed and feeling sick!
6) I required 6 bags of intravenous drip over 2 days!
7) I required a catheter to urinate!
8) I could not move my bowels for 3 days!
9) Upon first use of crutches, I was very dizzy, dry mouth and weak and unsteady!
10) Fitful sleeping with operated joint 'jolts' for 2 nights (I would feel a blow like shock), not painful!
11) I had to take the extra liquid morphine as required ( I tried without it however, I could sleep).
12) Staff were wonderful!
13) I turned a corner on day 3 and have not looked back!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 10 days Post Op, What I experienced in the first 3 days! Doing great!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Wow Jim.  Does not sound like a great begining. Glad things have gotten better.  It is never fun having major surgery.  It is always strange how different we all react.  I do thank you for sharing your experience.  I think most people plan for the worst and hope for the best.  Usually somewhere in between.  The nice thing is that 6 or 12 months down the road, it all becomes fuzzy and life really gets better.
I do wish you an easy and quick recovery.  I look forward to reading about your progress.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
Seconding what Pat said. Onwards and upwards... listen to your body and enjoy the recuperation. My greatest joy was not having that old pain.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Frazer law

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:08:45 AM »
Hi Jim..
Glad to hear its all over. Think I had most of what you experienced. Same anesthesia procedure, Couldn't pee, the bowels had shut up shop for best part of a week. Blood pressure on the low side...
However im nearly 4 weeks out now, the hospital and surgery experience seems like a long time ago. Kinda fuzzy recollection probably due to pain medication. Now walking quite happy unaided. Still have pain around the incision and the operated side butt cheek. But its manageable pain..... Every week has brought something new, a little easier to do a few things. Seeing Mr Meek again in a couple of weeks hopefully get the all clear to start my life again.
Fingers crossed we both make it through without too mich drama.
Frazer.

blinky

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »
Helpful list!

I had many of the same problems, low BP being the most troublesome, followed by constipation. It does get better.

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
I am now on day 10! After day 2 to 5 my operated leg was quite swollen (my consultant already told me that this would be so). On days 7 to 10 my operated leg is now a little thinner than the normal leg at the upper thigh (quadraceps) lol! I am now off all pain killers however I may have to take some at night. I am walking for 30 minutes each day outside with two crutches and going very slowly! I do stretches, sit ups, leg movements but I am keeping it all very easy for the first 3 weeks. Feeling great and l can't believe how hungry I have been, eating more than normal. After 2 weeks I had a few beers and wine at the weekend, great taste after doing without! Good luck Frazer when you go for your assessment with Mr Meek!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:27:12 PM by autoazure »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat