+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 year anniversary  (Read 596 times)

Tri Hard Alan

4 year anniversary
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »
Recently celebrated my 4 year anniversary for my right side BHR with Dr Treacy. I held off till today to post as this morning I had entered my biggest race to date, the Ballbuster Duathlon which consists of 5 x 8 mile loops, 1 run/3 bike/1 run with the last 2 miles of each loop uphill. But the weather was awful and the race was stopped after the 1st lap of the bike. That's England for you  :)

But generally speaking this has by far been my best year. Everyday life has always been great but racing has been inconsistent with some pain sometimes but no pattern or any way of identifying the triggers. So at the beginning of the year I saw yet another different physio and whilst costing a small fortune he really worked the hip area to increase strength and flexibility. I also adjusted my run form a little and also use Rock Tape help muscle position. The benefits came pretty quickly.

I did my second half marathon in March, took 5 minutes of my time clocking 1.34 on a windy day and whilst a little sore at the end was back running, doing a track session, on the Wednesday. Same time last year it took me over a week to recover. In May I took part in the World Duathlon champs, for the 2nd year on the trot, and on hot day in Pontevedra with a 4.00pm start on a tough, hilly course with a 10k run, 36k bike, 5k run I didn't perform terribly well but didnt have  twinge on the hip and in terms of atmosphere was probably my favourite event representing GB. After that I took part in many Triathlons, all with no pain what so ever. High lights were Windsor where I had a great bike and better run to come 59th in field of 1200 and 4th in AG and my last Tri in September, in a small field of 163 came 8th clocking the 5th quickest bike leg. Also bagged a prize for being 3rd in the over 35 wave, which at the age of 52 is nice!

On a non running (sort of) note I also did a Tough Mudder, the Urban version which doesn't actually have any mud but much the same obstacles. And I honestly thought I might struggle with mobility when swinging my right leg over obstacles. And mentally I just can not swing my left leg. My brain simply wont send that command! But I was fine, no problems at all. And I did a Parkrun a couple of hours before the Tough Mudder too :-)

I have no set plans for next year yet. We were meant to be getting married this year and had to postpone due to my (future) mother in law having some health issues. All better now and we simply put the wedding back a whole year. I have no GB events, for the first time in 3 years. I hope to do a Half Ironman at some point (said that this time last year and it didn't happen!) and may, possibly, do a marathon. But only if I can increase the distances without issues. Apart from that I plan to qualify for the 2021 World Triathlon Champs which are being held in Bermuda. But qualifying, taking place in June, will have to be scheduled to not interrupt with our July wedding!

All in, whilst its personally been a tough year, sport wise (which has been an escape at times) has been great and as I say every year, the surgery was one of my best ever decisions.

blinky

Re: 4 year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »
Congratulations for many things!

petemeads

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
Great to hear that things have come together for you, Alan - I do check your blog from time to time and had seen you were having a few niggles last year.
It's my 5th anniversary in a fortnight, will celebrate with a list of achievements which is considerably less impressive!

Cheers, Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Congratulations on your 4 Year Anniversary and marathons. Great to hear you are really getting back to the things you love and doing well.
Look forward to more updates and more anniversaries.
Wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat