+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bone Health  (Read 950 times)

frigator

Bone Health
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:31:49 AM »
I was diagnosed just prior to my resurfacing with poor bone health, -2.5 at the femoral neck. So after almost 2 years of weekly fosamax use,  a recent Dexa scan on the same machine at Dr Gross's office, had me at -2.3, so very little improvement. Dr Gross is recommending I go on the injections of Prolia. I havent investigated the drug yet but was wondering if anyone here has been put on it for poor bone health.  My dad broke both his hips right at the femoral neck so it appears poor bone heath may run in my family.

Saddlepal3

Re: Bone Health
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »
Hi Frigerator,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have struggled with significant osteopenia for years. It hasn't progressed to osteoporosis yet, but has gradually moved in that direction. I took Fosomax for 5 years as well as daily calcium/vit D. After my revision surgery in Sept 2018, Dr. Pritchett suggested a 4 month course of Tymlos. Tymlos has been shown to actually stimulate bone growth and is normally prescribed to patients with significant osteoporosis. My dosage would be "out of protocol," so insurance wouldn't cover it. I decided to go ahead with it and paid for it myself. My next bone scan will be early 2020. Will let you know the results. Maybe something to discuss with Dr.Gross?

frigator

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 10:20:21 AM »
Yes, my insurance is denying the Prolia....will be 1173 to pay it myself every 6 months and they usually do 2years of treatment. So I may go that route.  I see the Tymlus is also a newer medication. Did you have any side effects from the Tymlus?

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 03:36:57 PM »
your prolia price is less than what I paid, but I just did it for 4 months. I was paying about $1600/mos. The first time I took Tymlos, it was mid-afternoon and I got very nauseous very several hours. I reported that to my doctor and he suggested doing the injection right before bed. That worked great. No problems at all.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:38:30 PM by Saddlepal3 »

frigator

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
Well I got my prolia injection 2 days ago and so far no side effects. The nurse told me they been using this for 10 years and she has never seen any major side effects. The final cost was 1173$ and I must do it twice a year for two years. This is so much easier than having to take that fosamax every week which didnt work well for me.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
Good luck!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat