+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Right hip resurfacing with modified (slow!) recovery  (Read 1351 times)

jwall07

Right hip resurfacing with modified (slow!) recovery
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
First, THANK YOU for this website. The information and stories shared here are invaluable.  I wanted to share my story earlier but things have gone so smoothly I was afraid I would jinx myself!
-Background:  I am a 61 yr old female runner (21 marathons).  I had issues with my right leg/hip for years before running downhill became impossible due to pain.  I stopped all running and visited 3 different doctors before getting the OA diagnosis and offer of total hip replacement.  I sent my Xrays to Dr. Gross and he agreed hip resurfacing was a good option for me.
-Outpatient surgery was done 5/20/19: uncemented Biomet Magnum, 48mm.  The only snag was an extra day in SC due to orthostatic hypotension.  The last oxycontin taken was the morning of the 4 hour drive home as a precaution.  I have experienced very little pain following the protocol given.  Because of low bone density I am on the modified recovery program: used a walker for 2 weeks 10% weightbearing on operated leg; 2 more weeks on crutches still 10%; 2 weeks on crutches gradually increasing weigh bearing (all of this doing the simple PT given post surgery and functional walking only).  Also taking Fosamax generic to improve bone density.
-At my 6 wk checkup I was given the go ahead to use a cane, beginning with short walks.  The incision was fully healed at this point so I could also swim.  I used the cane for 4 weeks.  I was 10 weeks post resurfacing before I began walking unaided.
-Now at nearly 6 months I swim (~1k yards) each morning, walk about 6 miles each day and alternate weightlifting (<50#) and low-resistance bike spinning in the gym.  Generally the joint feels a little different from the unoperated left side, but just tight not painful at all.  I continue to do the prescribed leg raises and stretches.
-11/20/19 is my return to running date.  It will be 14 months since I last ran a step.  I am excited and anxious to see how the resurfaced hip performs.  I have a 3 day/wk program plan that begins with 2 min walk: 1 min run X 10 and builds slowly.  I am expecting progress to be slow since it was 5 months before I could dress standing up.  Balance, strength, and range of motion are all continuing to improve slowly.
Dr. Gross and absolutely everyone I encountered at his practice have been phenomenal.  Best medical experience of my life.
Dr. Gross, 5/2019

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: Right hip resurfacing with modified (slow!) recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 03:19:52 PM »
Thank you for sharing a runner's story! I do hope eventually you can return to THE sport! Take it easy and err on caution! I too have the running passion and I am now on 4.5 weeks post op. I will not even attempt running until 3 months have lapsed! I was doing 60 miles per week up to the day before my op so have excellent bone/muscle/ligs and tendons however, I will not rush it! Andy Murray (fellow Scot) is my inspiration post op however, he is half my age lol!
Good luck!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »
Hi jwall07    Congratulations on your recovery, even if it was a bit slow.  As you described, it was well worth it.
Thank you for your post and sharing your story. It is very helpful to new folks and really, everyone.

I hope your recovery continues well and you will be running soon.
Send me a photo or post one when  you are back in action.  It is so  nice to hear the great stories from females.  Surgeons will give them hip resurfacing if they are good candidates. You just have to find the small handful that still do women.
I wish you the very best and look forward to some more updates.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jwall07

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »
I have been running for 3 weeks now and have progressed to 1 min run: 1 min walk intervals for 30 minutes.  I have had no joint/hip pain!
The first run segment of every run feels a bit unstable but the running smooths out after that.  My spouse said I looked "like a runner."  :)
Afterwards I am sweating like a mule and all my muscles, head-to-toe, are voicing their opposition to the endeavor.  Basically it feels like magic.....to be continued
Dr. Gross, 5/2019

tohandley

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »
This is great.  Congratulations!

I had my right hip done a bit over 13 months ago and have not been able to get back to running.  BY the 1 mile mark, its throbbing and if I go farther, I pay the price over the next several days.   I'm scheduled to go in January for a revision of the cup placement since the xray shows a small gap behind the cup so it's not flush against the hip socket.  The doctor thinks this could be the cause of my problems.

On the one hand I'm not looking forward to going through another recovery but on the other I am hopeful that this second procedure will work and allow me to go back to it.

Stories like yours give me hope so thank you for sharing!

I wish you the best in your continued recovery,
Tim

RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

einreb

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
Congrats on the progress!  I was on the slow recovery program and can certainly empathize.

Is amazing how enjoyable 'good' pain is rather than the ache of a failing hip.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear