+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week check up. Im free......!!!!  (Read 964 times)

Frazer law

6 week check up. Im free......!!!!
« on: November 14, 2019, 07:35:50 AM »
Hi All,

Well.... I met my surgeon last night in Glasgow for my 6 week check up (actually 7 weeks on Saturday).. All restrictions lifted. I'm free to use my new hip as best I feel I can. No running and avoid unnecessary impact untill at least 12 weeks was all that was left on the table..

I haven't felt that intense burst of happy for such a long time. I knew things were going in the right direction, but to hear it officially was just the news I was needing. I can actually put socks and shoes on normally. Can even cut my toe nails without dislocating my ankle. Amazing, absolutely amazing... Small things I know, but when you've been unable for such a long time.... So happy.!! 
Before surgery my range of movement was zero. Flexion was 60% on a good day, no internal rotation, 10% external and about 20% abduction.
Feels quite surreal to be able to move it which ever way I want without the pain of moving it back... Not that anyone needs to know this, but even getting on and off the toilet is a breeze. I can just sit down and spring back up..... Small things but so awesome.

We went over my before x rays in quite some detail. My surgeons view is I've always had slight dysplasia in my right hip. Just born that way I guess. Never been enough to hinder my sporting life in my younger years but seems I was destined for osteoarthritis at some point in my life. My left hip is fine thankfully, and still has reasonably good joint spacing all round..

The goal now is to get strength back into the legs and regrow my right butt cheek. All being well I can hopefully enter the over 45's squash masters tournaments come April.. I know its still very early, and im still healing. But I know my body and it'll tell me if im pushing too hard. Well thats the plan..????

Thanks again to Pat and everyone on this site who have posted and shared their stories and advice. Think ive read just about everything over the last few years. Cant express how much its helped me get to this point.. I cant say Its been a fun journey, and dont think its fully sunk in that its almost over. 

Anyways, I just wanted share my news. Its currently freezing outside but im off for a decent walk to celebrate.

Onwards and upwards.

Frazer.

Matty S

Re: 6 week check up. Im free......!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
Awesome report Frazer! So great to hear. My journey starts next Friday. I hope I do as well as you. I laughed out loud at your "clipping my toe nails without dis-locating my ankle comment"....The little things are so important to people like us. I see Dr Ball for my Pre-Op tomorrow.
I also want to thank Pat and this forum for helping me along the way. It REALLY helps to read other people experiences.

Cheers,
Matty

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: 6 week check up. Im free......!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
Great news Frazer! I will be following you in a few weeks to Prof Meek and hopefully get the all clear! My recovery is going to plan and it's great to actually not have that permanent, dull ache in the right hip. Best of luck in your Masters tournament!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat