+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip pain when running  (Read 1721 times)

robbo1

Hip pain when running
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »
Hi all, it’s been nearly two years since I had the BHR , I am from a running background so I have been very careful on my rehabilitation, I posted on here early this year regarding hip pain when running,
If I run slow all seems fine,
If I increase the pace I feel an aching building up on the outer side of the hip,
I thought it would improve with more time but nearly two years on it’s still the same,
I’m sure there must be plenty of runners out there that are experiencing the same problem as me, your thoughts would be much appreciate thanks, Steve

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: Hip pain when running
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
Hi Robbo, I can relate to your predicament however, I am only less than 7 weeks' into recovery. I am also a competitive Club runner so I keep an eye on Runners' posts. I merely comment in order to keep the enquiry recent in the hope somebody can provide a possible explanation!
Good luck fellow runner!

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »

Try stretching the gluteus medius with exercises like the z-sit or pigeon pose. Those muscles will take time to lengthen. Keep at it for months.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

clarkembers

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 03:34:31 AM »
Hip pain after running?
I've been running on a treadmill for the past couple months. I took a couple weeks of break from heavy workouts, and today I went running outside for about 20-30 minutes.

It was nothing overly straining or impossible, just a light jog with some walking.

Now my left hip hurts? It only hurts when I walk, not when I sit. And it's not the kind of pain that runs up and down my leg. Just... the joint hurts? I'm not sure.

robbo1

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
Thanks Chuckm for that advice, i've been doing those stretches now since you told me and can feel the Medius muscle stretching.
my last three runs of 4.5 mile have gone really well with no pain.
however this morning out on a run the pain started to build at the 2.5 mile distance, 3 mile, walk till subsides then continue at a slower pace.
just got this dull ache now that will subside after a few hours.
Do you think it will improve over time if I continue with the z sit stretch? regards robbo.

tohandley

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »
Hi robbo1,

I have a very similar thing.  I can't go move than 3/4 of a mile before it starts throbbing.   I tried walk/run also.  If i push through it and go for a few miles, the hip really starts to ache and I limp for the next few days.

For me the doctor things it's the placement on the acetabular side.  There's a small gap behind part of the cup.  I'm going in for a revision this week.    Another round of rehab but hoping this let's me get back to running.

Best wishes on your continued rehabbing.     
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

chuckm

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »
robbo1 that's great that you see some improvement. But keep at it for months. Try all different angles.  Stretching a muscle can be done quickly. "lengthening" a muscle can take months or years. For some of us it becomes a maintenance issue if you want to have pain free running.
Chuckm 
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat