+-

Author Topic: Pain when running. Revision to BHR. Cup sitting too high  (Read 560 times)

tohandley

Pain when running. Revision to BHR. Cup sitting too high
« on: December 02, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
Hi,
In October of 2018 I had my right hip done (BHR) at Hospital for Special Surgery.   Prior to the surgery I was still able to run distances up to about 6 miles but my hip would bother me if I went more than 10.  Playing basketball also became painful.    I was hoping that by 6 -9 months after the surgery I would be able to go back to the court and running.     

During the rehab period I stated to bike.  I also used the opportunity as a chance to learn how to swim and even did a couple of short triathlons, walking on the run portion.
Since the surgery, I just have not been able to run more than a mile before the hip starts throbbing.  If I try to go longer it really starts throbbing.   

Today I had my 1 year (13/1/2 months actually) follow up.   The doctor believes my problem is the cup portion of the device is sitting up from where the hip socket was routed.  There looks to be a gap of about 4 millimeters.      I'm left with 2 options: live with it and restrict activity; or another surgery to go back in and replace the cup.
I was wondering if anyone on this site had any similar experience.
Thanks,
Tim

RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

MikeBee

Re: Pain when running. Revision to BHR. Cup sitting too high
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:26:50 AM »
Hi Tim,

I'm more than 5 years out from having my right hip done (BHR) and have had, essentially the whole time, a somewhat similar problem with running to what you describe. I'm able to hike (even multiple weeks trekking with some weight on my back), climb, play badminton, etc, but, for whatever reason, I just can't run. After about 5 minutes, the hip start throbbing and it builds up from there. I've tried brisk walking to warm up, but nothing seems to work.

Given that, otherwise, things seem to function pretty well, I've pretty much resigned myself to this reality. I hope that things work out for you.

All the best,

Mike

tohandley

Re: Pain when running. Revision to BHR. Cup sitting too high
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note!  It's always good to connect with people who have similar issues.  I do know a few people personally who have had the resurfacing and they seem to be doing fine, without any pain.  A few even returned to playing basketball.

I'm not sure that's a possibility for me but the doctor seems to think that the gap behind the cup could be the cause of my discomfort when I push it.

I know have to decide whether it's worth is going through another surgery.  I don't look forward to the downtime and rehab but I'm leaning towards giving it a shot.

Best wishes,
Tim     

RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

Recent Posts

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 19, 2021, 05:42:06 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by catfriend
October 18, 2021, 06:08:25 PM

Re: Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by LarryBud
October 18, 2021, 10:43:42 AM

Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by gray horse