+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery tommorrow! 1st Post Dr. Gross  (Read 948 times)

Bassmaster

Surgery tommorrow! 1st Post Dr. Gross
« on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
This is my first post here, but I have been lurking off and on since my diagnosis and surgery was scheduled with Dr. Gross.  I have waited to the last minute to post, like I tackle so many things in life, but I'm here now.  What a wonderful place for those of us getting or having had HR!

I have my pre-op meeting at Dr. Gross office in 2 hours!  Then surgery tomorrow first thing at 7 am.  So I am <24 hours out! LOL

I am having my right hip done.  I'm a 49 yr old male (50 in February 2020), and in relatively good shape, although I'm not as light as I should be today.  I am an Ultrarunner, but it has been 1 year to the day since my last race (100k).  I noticed in January I was having serious tightness and fatigue in my right quad/hip.  And lower back pain and stiffness.  I went to doctor about back, and while x-rays of my back were clear, he noted by chance arthritis in my right hip.  So I went to see my ortho.  He confirmed through x-rays and an MRI that I had moderate OA and an FAI.  I continued to train 40-50 miles per week until April.  In April, I got a cortisone shot, which initially helped, and began rigorous PT 2x week, and pulled back from running all together.  After 6 weeks of no running and PT I decided to begin running again.  I continued PT through the summer while running again, working up to the 1 hr mark.  But after 45 min -1 hr, everything felt as it had before meaning pain, tightness, etc.  So by end of summer I decided I needed surgery, thinking it would just be for FAI.  1st doctor said he would do scope for FAI but it would not address OA and he would still have to dislocate hip to do it.  I said no.  Second doctor said oh no, you need THR!  I said, crap.  Then, my running coach, who is a bilateral patient of Dr. Gross, said you should really send your stuff to him and consider HR.  Especially if I ever hoped to return to Ultrarunning.  I sent my stuff to Dr. Gross.  He said I was a prime candidate.  Surgery was scheduled for January 2020.  Then in early November Nancy called, we have to reschedule you.  It was either December 6, 2019 in 4 weeks or February 2020!  I said let's do it, and here I am.

I'm worried about a bunch of things, but actually least of which is the act of surgery itself.  I'm worried about getting around, I'm worried about peeing and pooping, I'm worried about it taking longer to recover than I think, I'm worried that I'll make a mistake during recovery and damage it somehow.  Lot's of silly worries.  I look forward to sharing my experiences, learning from others, and becoming a part of this 'community'.  I wish I had spent more time reading all of these stories and threads about tips and stuff, but it is what it is.  I should have continued to go to gym, ride bike, etc.  But instead I kayaked and fished (my other passion), lived daily life, worked in my yard, just normal stuff.  Letting my hip rest.  It was a mistake I think, but too late to go back now and do more strengthening etc.  I know my core is weak, my glutes, psoas etc. don't fire.  It should be interesting, and I anticipate it taking me longer to get back my strength.  We shall see.

I know I'm rambling, gotta run to my appointment with the magician, but I'll come back and try to post tonight about how pre-op went!

Thanks for listening.

Mundy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery tommorrow! 1st Post Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
I wish you the very best.  Dr. Gross is one of the most experienced hip surgeons in the world.  You are in good hands.  Stop worry and focus on the positive - you will be out of pain and walking soon.  You will have a great summer. Worrying and trying to force healing don't work. Your body has its own schedule and you are along for the ride.  Keep positive and all will be well.  I look forward to hearing about your journey.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jimbone

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
Mundy-

Dr. Gross wasn't my surgeon but he's really one of the best by all accounts.  Anxiety is part of the process for most folks.  All the worries you mentioned are common if not universal to some degree.  I understand many Gross patients use an ice machine his office recommends.  If you don't go with that have an alternative ready- most pharmacies will have a selection of freezable packs to reduce the swelling.  Stay ahead of the pain- take the meds as prescribed, it will help the first few days and you'll know intuitively when to stop.  Expect constipation for 2-4 days.  Lot's of ruffage will help with that.  Amazon sells a hip replacement kit- buy the premium package for $40- the sock aid is essential, the grabbers as well.  Do the easy bed PT you'll be shown at the hospital 2-3 times a day.  You won't likely be able to do them all fully [most struggle with abduction] but even the intent and mental effort to send the leg the signal will be useful.  Recovering and healing is an individual process never a race.  It begins with inches and soon [within the week] progresses.  Most people of your age with your physical back round recover faster and more fully than a lot of others.  The opposite side of that is some of them push themselves too hard too quickly and some have damaged themselves doing so.  The key is patience, perseverance and common sense.  The surgery and the devices have come a long way now as has the technique and skills of the top surgeons.  They have this down pretty well and with a healthy candidate like yourself and a surgeon of Dr. Gross' caliber you'll do great.  The forum has lots of answers though others experience and makes for good reading when you get home.  Best of luck and let us know how you're doing.

tohandley

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Mundy,

I had my right hip done a little over a year ago.   The first few weeks are hard but the advice you'll find on this site are invaluable!  You'll have plenty of down time to read so might as well take advantage of it.   :)

Wishing you the best of luck to get back to ultras!

Tim

RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

Bassmaster

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:01:46 AM »
Pre-op was smooth and uneventful.  Meeting Dr. Gross, Lee, Nancy and the whole staff helped put my mind at ease somewhat.  Bone density values were good, not great, but good enough to anticipate 'fast recovery' track.  I did get put on Fosamax and Vitamin D supplement.  Got a decent nights sleep.  Wife and daughter arrived last night too, so happy they are here.  Leave for surgery in 1 hour!  Here we go!

Bassmaster

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
Surgery was textbook. Bone on bone he said. Recovery also smooth. Was out of surgery center and back to hotel around 1:30 pm. Last night was ok, Peeing good, eating good, sleeping some. No nausea, doing my exercise and polar unit. To be honest the worst part has been my quad on the surgical leg. It remains so sore, tight and locked up. Just laying around today, lots of TV. Flying home bright and early tomorrow am. Home in VA by 11 am. Can’t wait. Went and bought a toilet seat for here because trying to poop is pretty uncomfortable. Nothing yet, but lots of rumblings. Anyone got advice on the quad thing?

jimbone

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »
I too had a very tight quad on my first hip, less so on the second.  Doing the quad isometric exercise [with a rolled towel under the knee if needed] worked a lot of the first week soreness out.  After that about week 3-5 or so I found standing on on leg with my hands at the ready in front of a counter surface also helped to strengthen the quad and worked out some more kinks.  In all though it took me many months- 6-8 or so- before I found significant reduction in quad tightness and a feeling that it was swollen as when I wanted to kneel on the floor and sit on my heels.  It might help to look into psoas stretches in a few weeks as well as that muscle is often affected by the surgery and when contracted will pull/shorten/affect the quad.  Congratulations on the surgery, best of luck.

tohandley

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »
My quad was sore for a few weeks.  I remember worrying about it but it just took time.  What they do during the surgery is pretty traumatic but it heals.

Good luck! 
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat