+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Adept system  (Read 1965 times)

bcmaughan

Adept system
« on: December 16, 2019, 04:09:15 PM »
Hi all. Just had my Preop appointment with Mr Eastaugh Waring in Southmead Bristol and was a little surprised to understand that he now uses the Adept system as opposed to the Birmingham system. I have read up on the Adept system and it sounds like it is basically the same as the BHR but has a couple of advantages - mainly in size increments of 2mm as opposed to 4mm and some better tools in the theatre for doing the procedure. Looks like revision rates etc are pretty much on a par with BHR. Anyone have any firsthand experience of or knowledge of this system please?

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: Adept system
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 03:43:50 AM »
Hi, I am now 9.5 weeks' post-operation and I had the Adept system fitted in Glasgow by Prof D. Meek. It has been amazing to date; I am now training every day doing very slow, gentle jogging and walking over steep, hilly terrain ( up to 35 miles per week) and doing gym sessions three times a week. I fully intend starting normal running after 12 weeks (I am a long distance runner).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 03:45:09 AM by autoazure »

Frazer law

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Hi bcmaughan,

I too have this device fitted. Again it was done in Glasgow by Prof Meek, I don't have too much in the way of constructive info about one device over another. All I was told was, it has a slightly higher 10 yr survival rating than the BHR. ??? And as you mentioned the surgical tools seem to be more precise for correct fitting, which can't be a bad thing. !!

Seems to be the same guy who engineered the BHR that came up with this design. Was developed to improve upon any design flaws the BHR had.

I'll be 12 weeks post op this Saturday, and with the exception of running or any full impact I am able to train when I like and do most of what I used to do before all this hip business started. Amazing to come so far in such a short time.... Not sure when your surgery is.. ? All the best for a speedy recovery and a new lease of life on the other side.

toby

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »
Hi there,
Yeah I've got a 10 year old Adept. It was the device my surgeon ( as a few others in UK) switched to many years. Prof Cobb explained to me ( as others have mentioned) that it was designed by Mike Tuke who designed the BHR with Derek Mcminn. It's almost identical to the BHR but with some additional minor developments and surgical tools. Yes too I noted in over the years that the data in the National Joint Registries showed almost identical performance to the already excellent BHR.
Best
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

toby

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:09:43 PM »
Sorry I should also have mentioned that I sure I'm right in saying that Mike Tuke also owned Finsbury Orthopaedics who originally engineered/ manufactured the BHR for Mcminn before Smith and Nephew bought the design.
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat