+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Anderson - New  (Read 798 times)

RKPortal

Dr Anderson - New
« on: December 22, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
Hello -

This is my first time posting.  I had a left BHR done in November of this year so I'm almost 2 months out.   The procedure was done at the Aurora Sinai Medical Center in Milwaukee by Dr. Michael Anderson.  Just wanted to thank Patricia Walter for starting this website and her continued work in monitoring it and everyone else for all the great information. I can't begin to describe how helpful it was to me when I was researching this.  It's a big decision to have surgery!  I had pain for several years prior which I was dealing with using Advil etc.. but really started thinking seriously about surgery when I noticed my gait was changing and I was more prone to tripping.  I bought a recliner for my recovery which worked out great as sleeping in bed was not that comfortable at first. 

I'm just in the beginning stages of physical therapy now but have ditched the crutches (still use a walking stick when my muscles get tired.)  I've started using an indoor bike and walking in the pool as well.   Still have a long way to got but feel I'm through the worst of it. The only complication that I've had it some numbness in my right thigh (opposite site of surgery).   I'm hope it will go away as time progresses.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dr Anderson - New
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
Thank You for the kind words about my website.  I am glad it was helpful. That's the reason I do it - to help people learn about hip resurfacing since most doctors don't tell you about it.
You are early in your recovery, but sound like  you are doing well.  I look forward to your post as you become more active and pain free.
I wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Matty S

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:44:36 AM »
I am about 5 weeks Post-Op
I too have numbness is my non-surgical thigh
Dr Ball told me that he uses some sort of clamp to keep my pelvis aligned
during surgery. That clamp some times presses on a nerve that can cause this numbness.
My numbness is starting to fade away. The first thing I noticed is that it started getting itchy....
then the feeling started comping back.
I wish you the best of times during your recovery.
Matty

RKPortal

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »
Thanks Matty!  I mentioned it to my surgeon but he didn't seem to know why.  That's one reason this forum is so helpful!  :)  Sometimes I think the numbness might be fading but its hard to tell.  I'm hoping as I start putting more pressure on my surgical side then that might relieve the numbness.  For the first three weeks or so I would wake up with that pins and needles feeling in the leg but thankfully that has disappeared. 

Bill

Matty S

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 11:05:44 AM »
Yes..I had the pins and needles too. After they faded away the itchy feeling started. Once I started being able to sleep in different positions everything started to subside and began to get better. I still have a little numbness but not to bad. I am now walking a few mile a day un-aided and riding the stationary bike for 20 minutes at a time at 5.5 weeks Post-Op.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Matty

RKPortal

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »
That's good to know.  Thank you.  My leg has been itchy lately so I suspect that might be part of the healing.  I've been going to PT now - have a list of about 10 exercises to do daily and also walking about 2 miles each day (unaided except when I worry about slipping) and doing the stationary bike as well so it sounds like we are on a similar path.  I've been water walking as well which I think has helped.  My next big milestone will be to walk up stairs with both legs.  I can do smaller heights but 6" -7" just doesn't feel comfortable on my new hip.   Also still using my sock tool for that leg but it feels like I'm getting closer to doing it unaided.

Bill

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat