+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 weeks post Op Running progress to date  (Read 1202 times)

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
12 weeks post Op Running progress to date
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
I have just completed another full week of careful exercise including leg-strengthening gym work. For the first time I ran at an easy pace for 6 miles without stopping. The hip felt a little sensitive and warm afterwards. I walked 7 miles for the next 2 days and then completed a slower 7 mile run. I continued to walk and run each day for the remainder of the week however taking it easy! I completed 45 miles for the week (35 last week). I was amazed that I could return to almost normal running so quickly. I am really concerned about over-doing it and causing harm to the healing process! I have not received any guidance as yet regarding recovery restrictions, I do not have a follow up check until the 3 rd of Feb.
Any advice would be most welcome!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:44:32 AM by autoazure »

petemeads

Re: 12 weeks post Op Running progress to date
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »
Hi Autoazure - you are doing very well, and I doubt anyone on this site would be able to advise you on further progress. I reckoned I was fairly cavalier with my BHR, despite barely adequate bone quality, but I was only running 5k up to the 5 months mark. I was walking and biking a lot as well but obviously less impact involved. From that point I started doing 10k along the canal (flat, soft) for a while before pushing to greater distances on the road. Just before my 12 month check up I jogged a half-marathon so I could tell my surgeon, but that ruined my parkrun pace for a month so I did not repeat the distance until after my second hip 2 years ago. I was much more confident of not breaking the THR hip, surgeon said I would not be able to, so recovery to racing pace was much quicker (but racing pace is tailing off with the years...).
If what you are doing is causing no problems,  keep going and good luck!

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

autoazure

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
Thank you Pete for your advice! Pretty much in unknown territory here as I really do not know if I am overdoing it or not. I carried out some more internet research and came to the conclusion that perhaps I am. Dr Su recommends 6 months before any high impact for example. I may restrict my fast run training to once per week and see how the hip reacts. At 63 years' old I really should not expect too much surely! I will maintain my weekly mileage at 45 and continue with the gym to improve core strength etc!

blinky

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 08:47:03 AM »
I am glad it is going so well for you but caution you to be careful. Most docs ask you to wait 6-12 months before running and then tell you to build up gradually so your bones can knit to the prosthesis. Listen to your body, don't be afraid to take a step backwards if you hurt. (Story of my recovery: push push push, hit the red line, back off.)

I forget your history. If you were functioning at a high level before surgery that could be one reason you are able to bounce back so quickly.

chuckm

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
Autoazure, it depends. If you have had hip arthritis for a long time prior to getting resurfacing, the head and neck are more prepared for impact right away. But, if your arthritis was somewhat sudden or if you got your resurfacing before it go too severe, then the head and neck will require more time to reconfigure new blood supply to the neck and head.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

stevel

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 12:44:16 PM »
I have been using the treadmill at a fast paced walk at 4.2 mph at 8 weeks post-op.
I can increase to a gentle jog at 12 weeks but avoid jumping and training running until 6 months.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 04:04:38 AM »
Very impressed you are doing that milage so quickly. And at the age of 63! Would be very surprised if you didn't have an extensive athletic background but impressive none the less.

But I agree with the others, some caution would be well founded. 6 months is the general minimum time to start running at all. Clearly you dont have to stop running but I would decrease the distance for a while, just as a precaution. Look at it as an investment. A deposit in the time bank for later.

Spend the extra time on the leg strengthening. What you are doing is clearly working. A bit more of that will give long term benefits.

Good luck and again congratulations on the progress so far.

tohandley

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »

Congratulations, your progress is really impressive!  At 12 weeks I was biking and on the eliptical machine but not running.   I tried later but haven't been able to go longer than 1 mile before the hip starts throbbing. 

My advice as you've probably heard is to just listen to your body and do what works for you.       

RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

autoazure

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 09:12:51 AM »
I really must thank all of you who made the effort to respond to my request for advice. I have taken it on board and have reduced my running mileage and pace. I can see the sense of investing in a controlled and careful recovery (as not doing so could be jeopardising my future running). I look forward to my follow-up checkup in February and hopefully no lasting/if any damage has been done! I will continue with the gym work, leg exercises and walking.
Thank you!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal