+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Considering second Hip for resurfacing  (Read 984 times)

Clyde44

Considering second Hip for resurfacing
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
Hello All,

I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr Gross in 2005 and it has performed well above my expectations. Now I have problems with my left hip. Mild to severe osteoarthritis near bone on bone. Allot of discomfort that a times goes to my knee. Regular otho’s recommend total hip replacement.  Prior to the hip going bad I was walking every day for hours, playing pickleball 3-4 times a week for hours and now I can’t do any of that.
My concerns are that I am older now (62) so I’m not sure how that will effect recovery and performance. 15 years between surgeries is a long time. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar issue? Of course if I knew the second resurface would be as good as the first I would do it in a heartbeat. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments

Clyde

Granton

Re: Considering second Hip for resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:54:23 PM »
Hi, I had my first at age 51, second at age 65. Both have been entirely problem free. Recovery from the second was even better than the first.
If it worked well before, why hesitate?
Good luck with it.
David Vale
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

jimbone

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
Hello Clyde-

Given the success with the first, the excellent results Dr. Gross provides and knowing the OA isn't going away surgery is probably your best choice.  A year and a half ago at 63 I had both hips resurfaced with an 8 week interval in between.  Dr. Pritchett did both and during consultation told me I was on the cusp regarding age, but like you, I was healthy and generally athletic and therefore an acceptable candidate.  I have recovered to at least my capacity as a 50 year old and continue to work on improving.  If your surgeon accepts you for HR instead of THR, I'd go for it.

stevel

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 04:58:17 PM »
I recently had my right hip resurfaced, 11 years after my left hip resurfacing, both by Dr. Su.
I was age 66 for the right and age 55 for the left.
In the last year the arthritis progressed to bone on bone, but cartilage thinning was progressing over several years as evidenced by x-rays taken for my left hip and pelvis, annually and biannually.
After strenuous activities I walked with a slight limp and had a chronic dull ache.
My bone stock was good so I scheduled a right hip resurfacing at the first available appointment, two months later, rather than let the bone continue to grind away.
I am happy with the results to date at 2 months, 1 week post-op.
I notice the recovery is much faster with my right since my muscles were in good shape pre-surgery and I wasn't as disabled compared to my left hip, 11 years ago.
Gait, stretching and muscle strength are great.
I basically waiting for the bone to heal before doing low impact sports and exercises at 3 months post-op and then high impact sports and exercises at 6 months post-op.
I was pleased my insurance (Aetna) covered since I passed the regular window for hip resurfacing (age 65) but I met their criteria since I was active and had good bone stock.
I downhill ski and play racquetball so hip resurfacing without limitations was still important to me vs hip replacement.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:00:24 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Clyde44

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:55:41 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging replies. I'm curious if any of you had other "related" pains when your second hip started to go bad. I'm concerned the bad left hip is causing some other issues. I now get some pain in my left knee....I'm hoping that is referred pain from the hip. I also get some achiness in my right resurfaced hip on the outside and around the ischial bursa. I hope and think these soft tissue issues that will go away.  With the left hip a problem I always sleep on the right hip, limp and generally use the right leg for everything. I'm in the process of setting up an appointment with Dr Gross to see if my left hip qualifies to be resurfaced. If so, I'll move on it quickly.

Granton

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:01:35 AM »
Mr McMinn told me that as the hip cartilage wears, the leg turns so that the foot points out. This causes knee pain.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

jimbone

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:55:37 AM »
Granton pointed out a symptom I experienced- outward foot turning and knee pain.  After my left [first] was resurfaced there was an immediate realignment of my foot and knee, almost an overcompensation.  It had been my habit before surgery to stand so that my left foot was turned in to relieve pain.  After surgery the condition was fixed.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear