+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Outer thigh numbness triggered by posture?  (Read 656 times)

Grahamn746

Outer thigh numbness triggered by posture?
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:39:17 AM »
Hi everyone, I had a left hip resurfacing 14 months ago and so far my recovery has progressed without a hitch (fingers crossed) but I have noticed something, which first became apparent during a Pilates class, and wondered whether anyone else had experienced similar issues.

The outer left side of my knee on the operated leg has always had a small area which I would describe as desensitized rather than numb, and it has been this way for about 20 years (fell down a storm drain in the dark and bashed my thigh on the concrete edge...no I wasnt drunk :-).

However, since my operation whenever I am in a kneeling position, body upright for any length of time, the small 'numb' area grows until the entire outer portion of my thigh has gone quite numb.

I dont have a total loss of sensation and there is no degredation in the strength/control of my leg. As soon as I change position the feeling slowly returns.

I did some research and I have put it down to trapping of the lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh? But I am not sure and wondered if anyone had an insight into this issue.

My hip resurfacing was a metal on metal BHR done via a lateral approach.

If this is all I have to put up with then I am certainly not complaining as i have been pain free since I woke up from the operation and I am fully active, cycling, swimming, gym, walking...no running yet though...I might give that a miss for a bit.

If anyone has had or is having a similar experience I would be grateful for any insight you could give.

Many thanks

G
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:40:34 AM by Grahamn746 »

jimbone

Re: Outer thigh numbness triggered by posture?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »
No insight to provide but have you tried foam rolling the IT bands? 

Grahamn746

Re: Outer thigh numbness triggered by posture?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Hi jimbone and thank you for your reply.

I have been using the foam roller quite a bit as my IT band and Adductors were really tight following the operation but it definately seems related to my body position.

I will keep at it and speak to my surgeon at my followup appointment in May, hopefully this minor but annoying issue will resolve over time.

Best Regards

Graham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat