+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is there anyone who has had a revision to another hip resurfacing?  (Read 878 times)

joshb7_

Hi,

I had my BHR in June 2018 but have been unhappy with my outcome. I have impingement which has limited my return to sport and exercise, and still contributes to lower back pain in a range of different activities. I have received different views from various consultants having sent them my x-rays. Several have said that the hip cup looks positioned satisfactorily and have suggested that psoas problems could be causing the impingement. There has been no evidence of psoas problems showing up in any of my MRI, CT or ultrasound scans. Another surgeon has suggested that the cup is well placed and is as good as can be (almost) and that I will have to live with it, as revision to another BHR is too difficult as there is not enough space to place a new cup. Koen de Smet has said that there is not enough anteversion in my BHR and that is the reason for my impingement. He seems quite confident that he could revise me to another hip resurfacing, whilst my initial surgeon has warned me against revising to another BHR.

I look forward to receiving any feedback from people's experiences to help me make an informed decision.

Many thanks,

Josh

Saddlepal3

Re: Is there anyone who has had a revision to another hip resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
Hi Josh,
This sounds very frustrating! I did have a revision that remained a resurfacing, but mine was due to metallosis. The cup was positioned correctly, so Dr. Pritchett switched out the metal cup to a poly cup. Before making the decision, I sent images to 5 different very experienced resurfacing surgeons ( Pritchett, Gross, Raterman, Brooks and DeSmet) and was happy to have opinions from them all. Good luck!

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
Hi Josh.
Left hip done recently THR unfortunately from a Resurface device.
But ceramic on ceramic.
There is a web site look it up hiprunner. They are running on THR's.
You need a hip system that the revision is easy so I went for Zimmer and biomet due they replace the parts easy if required and due to the metal content is killing me.
My ball natural is 50mm and I have 40mm ball now so its do able. He added a spacer in it so I now fit the lager ball size.
Less impingement etc.

2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Pappy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:41 AM »
Hi, on July 2009 had BHR right side done by a surgeon he cemented the cup.  Never worked well kinda like was not designed to be cemented, nerve impingement, etc…  Cup broke loose February 2016, very painful, every surgeon I consulted locally said total only option.  Found Single component revision of failed hip resurfacing study on this site. Jim Pritchett did study, Jim Pritchett revised my right cup. Works great.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear