+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Second HR operation in 2 weeks, having fears  (Read 1800 times)

Johnster

Second HR operation in 2 weeks, having fears
« on: January 20, 2020, 06:48:11 PM »
Hi,
I had my left hip resurfaced just over 4 years ago, and with the exception of a still-painful iliopsoas tendon, it has been successful and I've had no issues moving around on it.  It's now come time for me to get my right hip done.  I have a different surgeon this time, and it is now about 2 weeks out from surgery.  My issue is that I cant seem to get "bad thoughts" out of my head regarding the surgery itself.  I lost my father many years ago when he did not recover from heart surgery, and I'm both younger and healthier than he was (56 years old, dont smoke, go to the gym 3 times a week, active with my two young kids) but I still have this terrible foreboding. It is most likely due to what happened with my father, but it also may be due to the fact that the new surgeon (who is actually far more experienced and has a much better result record than my previous one) requires feather-touch only on the operated leg for 6 weeks post-op, which is far more conservative than the last one, I also remember vividly the entire process of the last operation (which is not a fond memory either), but I need to be more positive about this, as my lack of enthusiasm about it is affecting my wife and making me miserable.  I am trying to just go on and get my pot-op equipment lined up, but it is very difficult, once you get a negative mindset about something in your head, to turn that around. 

Any advice?

hernanu

Re: Second HR operation in 2 weeks, having fears
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 07:43:28 PM »
Well, you have an idea of what the surgery itself is like.  It's good that you had a successful outcome (otherwise you wouldn't be doing it again).

Having the ilopsoas still an issue is an irritant, hopefully you can resolve that.

I'm sure your dad passing from a surgery does weigh on you, it's not surprising. The only reason to go through surgery is to improve a situation markedly in my opinion. 

Like anything that is significant, it carries its risks and those can't be downplayed.  The thing that calmed my concerns about that (which I did have) were that most people didn't face that situation. 

I was more encouraged after I had gone through the first, seeing that my body responded fairly well.

It's very normal to be concerned and even obsessed a bit. It is your body and a major surgery.  I'd try to remember that you have gone through it and you have a skilled surgeon working on it.

The goal for me was that lack of the pain and dread that comes with arthritis. Once I had both done (mine were within 3 months of each other), I could finally move forward as a finished product.

As to the conditions, they are different than usual, but I'm sure there are other hippies that had those constraints and are doing well.

I would talk with the surgeon about all of your concerns, to alleviate as much as possible the emotional drain. 

Your family is also affected by the surgery, since they probably also have their fears.  I'd talk to them about it and what your positive goals are for having it done in the first place.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

catfriend

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:23:52 AM »
I totally get it. I was terrified of having surgery. I think most of us are. If there was any way I could have escaped the pain I was in without surgery I would have done it. The day of surgery my anxiety levels were through the roof. I was given intravenous anxiolytics prior to be wheeled in. They hardly touched it. Even in the operating room, before I was unconscious, I seriously considered cancelling the surgery. Really. It was hard to make myself go through with it, but I knew I would not get better without it.

I will be having my other hip done in the not too distant future. Even thinking about surgery gives me the willies. I know I will be just as anxious this time as next. I'll still have it done.

I required a lot of IV valium for cataract surgery, too. And yes, I will have the other eye done soon, and I will be just as terrified for that one.

I think what you're feeling is common.

Johnster

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.  It helps to get other perspectives on this and to know that others experience the same anxiety.  My surgery is set for Feb 3rd, I'll post again to update on what happened.  On the bright side, I have to be there 2.5 hours before surgery and it takes 1.5 hours to get there, so I am allowed a tea on the way (no milk), provided I finish it .5 hours before I get there, I'll take it!

Cheers
John

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:04:06 AM »
 :) Makes you feel any better left hip fai operation fail - left hip resurfacing fail metalosis. left hip thr replacement. right hip fai failure x 2. right Resufacing failure x 1 metalosis. Thr replacement. 3 ops left 4 ops right. Not enjoying it but I have to suck it up. But the surgeries to date never had done any damage so that is ok. Good luck.
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding with FAI Hyperflexion

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:03:35 AM »
Johnster-

If it makes you feel any better consider some of the following:  If you woke up in a hospital ward after being hit by a bus and had your pelvis destroyed and offered a hip surgery that would save you from a life of pain and incapacity., you wouldn't hesitate.  Your current situation is not that different when viewed rationally.  The pain and incapacity of OA will eventually overcome your life and demand the operation.  Your life quality will deteriorate until you select surgery.  The overwhelming percentage survive this surgery with tremendously improved life conditions.  The rare and unusual failures of today's top surgeons with improved and proven surgical techniques, experience and skill are still no worse off than someone with OA that refuses surgery.
Took me 2 years to get my head around the idea of a bilateral prosthetic.  It was one of the best decisions of my life.  One i can honestly say gave me my life back and which I would not have had unless I'd accepted the risks and the outcome as my best rational choice.  The courage for it sometimes comes from facing the fear and sometimes from just letting it go.  Imagine waking up in a recovery ward and finding the OA pain was gone forever.  Recovery is a summer camp compared to a life of debilitating OA.  Best wishes.  Jim

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
 Karlos
It breaks my heart when I read your story. But, I am glad I think you have finally made it. Such a long, difficult journey.  I do appreciate you posting to help others and sharing your story.
Thank You.  I wish you the very best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
Johnster -  Everyone has doubts and fears. I am so happy others share theirs. You need to concentrate on the end game solution. Try to keep positive and plan your post op activities.  Think about summer. It should be good for you.
I hope to hear about your surgery and post op progress.
I wish you the very best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
 :) Thanks Pat.
No problems been a great help to get my legs working after 13 years.
De Smet this web site and all I gained in life even though I have ended up crook has given me a life I never had so I am grateful.
Just some money and more ops.... I have to be patient.
Unfortunately it is what it is for me but after 6 weeks I am walking well and on the move.
In 2 months I will be hopefully out of the red zone and back on track in life.
I am hoping the Ceramic on Ceramic resurfacing helps and does not fail as this would give others a decent shot at resurfacing without issues.
Hip runners web site gives me some hope I will be able to run again deciding factor is the surgeons opinion which was " he never has the type of patient"

So all in all I should not complain but my experience is something people need to look at and consider when looking at resurfacing MOM.
This has side tracked from the original post my apologies.

Cheers K
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:06:03 PM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding with FAI Hyperflexion

Ham

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »
Sounds somewhat similar to what I just went through.  56 year old male had first hip done 3 years ago. Started running after a year and the second hip started to kill me 7-8 months ago.  Diagnosed as a torn labrum.  I had a labrum repair prior to the HR and it was a total waste of about 15 months.  Got a second opinion and one dr. thought I might be a little premature on the HR, but some OA showing on the hip in addition to the torn labrum so I went ahead with it on Jan. 23, 2020. Sitting with some ice on the hip.  Was nervous in the week leading up to the surgery.  Plus had to travel by myself. But it all worked out.  Not much pain currently and I will be able to get back to my normal activities sooner.  Had been running ultramarathons pre-first surgery.  But after had worked up to 20-25 miles week running with increased biking and some light weights.  Go with your gut.

Johnster

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
Hi all,
Just updating.  My new surgical date is now this Thursday, and as far as I know, this will be the actual date (there have been 2 postponements).  I'm trying to keep positive and get the house ready for my return.  Hoping for positive results, and will post back here when I'm back home and recovering.

Cheers all

rday12

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »
Johnster, I might be able to help a bit. I had my right hip resurfaced Jan. 27, and I am on feather-touch restriction for 6 weeks. I was hesitant about this, as it seems like most surgeons allow weight bearing immediately. Itís been a pain (figuratively, not literally) as I canít help thinking about what Iíd be doing now if I were allowed to bear weight on the new joint. But, my surgeon (Dr. Schemitsch) has a great reputation (sounds like yours does as well), so I decided that I should be trusting him 100%. Iíve found that using a walker makes it easiest to focus on the feather-weight restriction. Going up and down stairs using crutches is easy. Basically, the restriction is really not a big deal, and I am confident that the jointís healing is benefitting from the restriction. I hope this helps to set your mind at ease a bit. Feel free to email me privately if there are any other details re: the restriction that concern you.

jimbone

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 06:22:14 AM »
Johnster-

Look pal and don't get it wrong.  I laid some heavy money at heavier odds you were gonna sail through this like a champion goal scorer tomorrow so don't muss this up.  See me?   Tomorrow or the day after, experienced and expecting people are expecting to hear about your "miraculous" passage.  Just the way it is mate and none of us want to hear different.  Tell me you didn't wake up feeling like it was a hammock on a tropical island with the best expectations of swimming in warm blue waters in the least amount of time and I'll call BS. Don't want to send Mickey around to get this straight,  Right?  Best of luck.  Jim

Johnster

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 08:39:32 PM »
Johnster-

Look pal and don't get it wrong.  I laid some heavy money at heavier odds you were gonna sail through this like a champion goal scorer tomorrow so don't muss this up.  See me?   Tomorrow or the day after, experienced and expecting people are expecting to hear about your "miraculous" passage.  Just the way it is mate and none of us want to hear different.  Tell me you didn't wake up feeling like it was a hammock on a tropical island with the best expectations of swimming in warm blue waters in the least amount of time and I'll call BS. Don't want to send Mickey around to get this straight,  Right?  Best of luck.  Jim

Never let it be said that I don't respond well to threats and intimidation! It was a piece of cake! A day at the beach! It was whatever it needs to be to avoid a visit from Mickey!

I'm 4 days post-op and hopefully the worst is behind me. They had a hard time freezing me (they used combination of spinal freezing and other drugs to knock you out without actually using a general anesthetic) which made the time to the OR and in recovery quite a bit longer but the surgery was successful and I'm on the mend.  First three nights were terrible; a combination of lack of decent pain meds, sciatica from the manipulations they no doubt did while I was under and not being able to get into a comfortable sleeping position at home or in the hospital, but last night was a decent sleep and today I'm not doing too badly (I even shaved).  They have me on a daily anti-coagulant (heparin) which is administered by self-injection, and that stuff is making me miserable.  I hated the pain meds they prescribed last time (dilaudid) so this time they went with Oxycontin, and that seems to work better for me, but I'm only taking them at bed time as that's usually the worst time for pain and they help me sleep.  I still get exhausted pretty quickly, I think from the heparin, and the incision runs right up and across my butt,(39 staples, I have photos if anyone is looking for a quick appetite-suppressant) so sitting can get pretty uncomfortable, but other than that I'm hopefully well on my way.  The doc dropped by after the surgery and said the Xrays showed the hip looked perfect, so now I'm on feather-weight only on the operated leg until my 6 week follow-up.  After that I should be back to driving and light workouts. 

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement, they were tremendously helpful. I'll follow up again as time goes by. 

jimbone

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
Way to go Johnster.  Congratulations.  Good timing as well.  With Spring no too far down the line you'll have all summer to get yourself healed up.  Best of luck.

Johnster

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 09:28:51 PM »
Johnster, I might be able to help a bit. I had my right hip resurfaced Jan. 27, and I am on feather-touch restriction for 6 weeks. I was hesitant about this, as it seems like most surgeons allow weight bearing immediately. Itís been a pain (figuratively, not literally) as I canít help thinking about what Iíd be doing now if I were allowed to bear weight on the new joint. But, my surgeon (Dr. Schemitsch) has a great reputation (sounds like yours does as well), so I decided that I should be trusting him 100%. Iíve found that using a walker makes it easiest to focus on the feather-weight restriction. Going up and down stairs using crutches is easy. Basically, the restriction is really not a big deal, and I am confident that the jointís healing is benefitting from the restriction. I hope this helps to set your mind at ease a bit. Feel free to email me privately if there are any other details re: the restriction that concern you.

Hi Rday.  E-mailed you privately as well. 

Small world, we have the same surgeon.  I was originally referred to Dr. Schemitsch several years ago, when he was at St Mikes, but I ended up getting my left hip done at LHSC.  When time came to have my right hip done, he was nice enough to fit me in when my original surgeon had to bow out. 

I'm glad that I re-read your post, please feel free to respond here or to my email so we can chat about our experiences.

Cheers
John

Johnster

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »
Way to go Johnster.  Congratulations.  Good timing as well.  With Spring no too far down the line you'll have all summer to get yourself healed up.  Best of luck.

Thanks Jim, that's exactly the timing I was aiming for.  We have a summer trailer and two young kids.  I likely would never have been forgiven if they didn't get there on opening day.

BTW, If you've ever seen the movie "Snatch" and recall the character of "Brick Top", you'll know exactly what image I had in my head of "Mickey". 

Cheers!
John

jimbone

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 04:58:52 AM »
Johnster-
 Snatch? Yes.  I'm a big fan of British humor in film and yeah that was the reference.  My surgeon, Dr. Pritchett recommends  common sense and a reliance on his skills.  Bit of a no brainer with that.  Do the same and you're going to be enjoying this coming summer like you haven't remembered in ages.  Gentle, steady and focused will get you there.  Did the doctor or hospital outline an exercise program?  If not, look up Dr. McMinn's- it excellent early stage stuff as is Dr, Gross's.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats