+-

Author Topic: 6 days post op how much swelling?  (Read 929 times)

bcmaughan

6 days post op how much swelling?
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
Hi

I had my right hip resurfaced on 21/01/20 so only 6 days ago. I was out of the hospital on 23/01 and have since been recovering at home. My questions are really related to swelling. After the Op I was able to get out of bed and move around the next day and start exercises etc which I have continued at home. I have managed to walk about 200m with 2 crutches today. My issue is that the swelling is getting worse and not better. It is this that is making my exercise etc extremely uncomfortable. It is mainly my thigh that is huge and up around my hip I have quite a lot of stretch marks and a lot of bruising on the back of the thigh. I wasn't expecting this to be honest and was thinking things would be getting better rather than worse at this stage. Do I need to do anything about it? Also is exercise the right or wrong thing to be doing with this degree of swelling? Am I making it worse being up and about on my feet? Grateful for any help or advice please!

jimbone

Re: 6 days post op how much swelling?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:37:46 AM »
Hello,

Swelling is a regular occurrence after this surgery and can be both painful, limiting and a bit frightening.  Bear in mind that it's normal and is not at all unusual for it to increase about 5-6 days after surgery.  Your best aid will be ice and elevation.  If you haven't already, acquire some ice packs, or make your own.  Ice cubes in a plastic bag with a towel if needed.  Another trick is to soak down a small bathe towel/face cloth and freeze it in a plastic ziplock.  After application when it's melted just put it back in the freezer.  It was explained to me that the swelling will decrease and flow down through the feet.  It is best to keep the feet elevated and above the knee/hips.  Don't understand the anatomy of it but it worked for me for both hips.  I continued with retained swelling especially in what felt like my quads and knees for a good 6 months before it started to feel "normal".  Your surgeons office can probably advise you best.  Good luck.

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
Hi

I am 3 weeks post op on my second Hip , at around 7 to 8 days I was very swollen, I had a leg practically twice the size, I kept moving and resting and over the next couple of days it drifted at around 12 days i was pretty normal just bruised and tender in my muscles. I still have sore quad and glute to be honest and over use makes it swell still, by that i mean i walked 3 miles at the weekend and i suffered , to much to soon but it passed with rest and im back on it.

keep the resting and exercising going and use ice, meds and elevation, it all helps but remember  moving and walking does reduce it as well ..

Good luck
Chris
Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

bcmaughan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »
Thanks for reassurance guys. I didn't realise anyone had replied as had no email alert! Swelling is down a touch today but, as you rightly say, it's now going down to knee and ankle so I'm hoping that's a good thing. Walked about half a mile today and felt okish but swelling is always worst in evenings. Last thing I feel like doing is getting up and about as it's very uncomfortable but sounds like maybe that's what I need to do. I'm kind of worrying about all the things that might have gone wrong at this stage as it's so uncomfortable but I'm always a bit of a worrier! Stopped the codeine as doing my insides no good at all.

ahausheer

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 03:48:11 AM »
Contacting the surgeon or their PA, however, a surprising amount of swelling can occur and it can set in a few days after surgery and last 2-3 weeks, so I wouldn't worry.  It is highly patient specific and it depends on the surgical route/muscles cut etc.

My thigh got absolutely huge, with pitting edema, I was surprised the internal stitches held. I have had surgical incisions bust open before my eyes (not fun).  I also had severe deep purple bruising from the back of the groin down nearly to the knee.  - And I am fairly thin and don't have heart issues.  Some people just swell up a lot....but I got better :-)

Anthony J

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:33:23 PM »
Hello,

Iím post op 6 and 8.  I had a lot of swelling a couple of days ago.  I was super aggressive yesterday with ice and elevation.  One hour on ice one off.  That really paid off, swelling is down, pain is down.  Working my way off the narcotics, only using at night if needed. Ice is your friend, kinda got tired of it yesterday, but feeling it really paid off today. Iíve backed down to 30 minutes on 1 1/2 hours off today. I bought the ice machine with the dual hip pads, itís been worth it for me. Feeling so much better getting off the narcotics! Good luck with your healing.

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear