+-

Author Topic: 16 week post op first 10 mile run  (Read 196 times)

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
16 week post op first 10 mile run
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
My progress to date has been amazing. I am running up to 40 miles a week (albeit, slowly and taking it easy downhill), today I ran 10 miles for the first time since my op. The hills near where I live are covered in snow so I took the opportunity to run with a lovely, soft cushioning of snow! I really have to hold myself back as I still feel apprehension  regarding doing too much too soon on the joint! I have a check up next week and hopefully I may be given the all clear to begin more (gradually) intense training. At 63 years' old I know it must be because of my decades of running at a high level that have enabled me to return amazingly quickly to trouble-free running! I continue with gym work including leg strengthening and have almost achieved full range of motion (about 150 mm to go until knee touches shoulder). I am still finding it difficult to improve upon this knee to shoulder distance and I do not know why! Do I need a physio to force it or is that a no no?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:31:03 PM by autoazure »

stevel

Re: 16 week post op first 10 mile run
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 03:56:40 PM »
Fantastic!  It's great to hear about a rapid recovery profile!  I am also doing well at nearly 3 months (Saturday) and will be able to start gentle jogging.  I have been fast walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes which breaks into a jog toward the end.  I feel no pain!
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:18:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply Stevel, the real challenge and proof of success/or lack of  will come when I attempt to resume race pace lol!
Best of luck to you as well!
Jim

Frazer law

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi Jim,

Fantastic news....You must be over the moon to be running again.. !!
Keep it up.

tohandley

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 03:55:46 PM »
Hi Jim,

Wow, this is a great post and gives me hope. I had a revision done last week and hope to have the same results you have had.
I too never quite got my operated knee up to my shoulder after the initial surgery.  Like you I got pretty close though.

If you get there please let us know.

Wishing you continued success!
Tim
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter