+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Questions on procedure  (Read 1016 times)

PeterK

Questions on procedure
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Hello All,

I need to get my left hip resurfaced and I was researching some of the available options.
I would appreciate any insight or advice on some of these issues..
I’m considering DR. Gross and I see that he does most of his surgeries as outpatient. Has anyone done this? If so, how was your experience?
I’m also debating between an Epidural with sedatives or just regular anesthesia. Any opinions?
If I have the surgery on my left hip, could I drive within a few days?

Thanks!

catfriend

Re: Questions on procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 03:50:58 PM »
Epidural with sedatives over general. That's an easy one.

Different doctors have different protocols regarding driving. With mine (Pritchett), patients are released to drive after their first follow up appt. after the surgery. This is about 10-14 days post surgery. Now, just because you're released to drive doesn't mean you will be able to drive. If you're having your left hip done, and you drive a stick, you're not going to be able to shove that clutch pedal with your left foot. Or, as the old saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Something to keep in mind.

Mikek

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 01:40:06 PM »
Joshua Hickman in Bountiful, Utah, did my left 11 years ago and my right just over a year ago.  The last one was outpatient, and that was great. 
You won't be driving in a few days.  10 days if you're recovering really quickly.

Ham

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »
Just had my second hip done on Jan 23 by Dr. Mont in NYC.  Was in the hospital for three days.  I can't imagine leaving the hospital the same day.  When I had my first hip done at the Cleveland Clinic three years ago, it was the same thing - three days.  I could not do more than barely stand up the first day both times. As far as driving, my left hip was done this time, so I was driving 8 days after operation.  I was off the opioids.  Need to be very careful getting in and out of car.

jimbone

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 01:02:27 AM »
Ham-

That's very interesting that your surgeries needed that much time in hospital.  Seems most of the most experienced HR surgeons are doing procedures on an outpatient basis.  I'm speculating your surgeon was less experienced and therefore being more conservative/careful?   If so, I think it's great the new surgeons coming up to take the place of the pioneers of the procedure are establishing their boundaries, self established perspectives and paths forward.  As patients undergoing surgery we can be deeply challenged by the implications.  It's easy to overlook the level of responsibility our surgeons accept when they lift up the tools to help us.  That there are those willing to do so speaks well for the future patients that need and seek this treatment.  Best wishes.  Jim

jwall07

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 05:36:34 AM »
Dr. Gross resurfaced my right hip in May of 2019.  It was outpatient surgery with spinal anesthesia.  I stayed 2 nights afterward at the Marriott Residence Inn.  This was an extra day over the normal procedure but what my husband was comfortable with.  A nurse checked on me the first night and Dr. Gross himself checked on me the following day.  I followed the dr.'s orders to the letter and had no problems with the travel afterward.  I could not drive until I graduated to the cane at 6 weeks but I returned to work at 2 weeks and feel like I could have driven if the surgery were on my left. 
Best wishes for your decisions/recovery!

Dr. Gross, 5/2019

SW27

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »
 I did both hips last year with Gross out patient. They were done 2 months apart. First was the right , I was driving second week but not a whole bunch . Just local trips to the store and what not. I would much rather be at the hotel in 6-8 hours then stay at the hospital. Nurse checked in that evening , Gross comes by the following morning and off we went. We drove from Fort Lauderdale area ( about 8.5 hours ) . I kicked back and hooked the ice machine up ( Ice machine is your friend ). Stopped about 3 - 4 times to get out and walk around some ( with crutches of course ). They give all the meds , take em as scheduled ( I got off them both times around day 4). I always say if I can do it anyone can , best thing I ever did just wish I did the first one about 2 -3 years earlier. Back on the bicycle , playing ice hockey ( I can sleep without my hips and legs aching after ), work ( construction) and actually been running about 6-8 miles a week on the treadmill !
right side Bio-Met Gross 1/4/19
  left side Bio-Met Gross 3/4/19

Clyde44

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »
Thanks for all the good information. It seems that those who went through the outpatient procedure preferred that to the hospital. Also glad to hear the epidural worked well. Regular anesthesia makes me nauseated. The driving in a few days appears to be optimistic. I'm told I can drive an automatic as soon as I'm off narcotics since it is my left hip. I think I'll just stay 5 or 6 nights at the hotel to make sure I'm comfortable with the drive.

Fireeducation

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »
Surgery on 2-11-20 with Dr. Fowble at Midlands Ortho as outpatient, spinal epidural and home at 6 pm
Each Dr. has different protocols and criteria for resurface as well your location.

Hope this helps!

Optimistic

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Hi Peter,
I just had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross a couple of weeks ago.  I would highly recommend him and rely on him and his staff to tell you what is best.  I had a spinal with sedatives and it worked great.  At first, I was a bit nervous when I heard that I would not have general anesthesia but they assured me I wouldn't be awake or remember anything.  They were right!  The last thing I remember prior to my surgery was moving myself onto the operating table and them asking me to get in a position to administer the spinal.  However, I was completely out of it before they administered the spinal so I did not feel any pain at all.  Dr. Gross and his staff and the surgery center really know what they are doing.  They have thought of every last detail and really have perfected all of their methods and procedures.

In terms of driving, I cannot drive for 6 weeks but this is only because my surgery was on the right hip and I am NOT comfortable braking with my left foot.  If surgery is on your left side, Dr. Gross says you can drive as soon as you are off the narcotics.  I was not in much pain at all.  I had my surgery on a Friday and stopped all narcotics on Tuesday and then switched to Tylenol for about a week.  I probably would have stopped my narcotics sooner but had to fly home and wanted to make sure I had pain well under control for my flight home.  Also, Dr. Gross administers some type of pain management injection during surgery that supposedly lasts 72 hours so I wasn't sure if I would experience more pain after 72 hours when it wore off, but was pleasantly surprised at how little pain I had.  Best control for the pain and swelling is really the ice machine you will use every hour for first week or so.   

If you have any other specific questions about Dr. Gross and what I experienced, please feel free to email me. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear