+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cheer me up with “my first weeks were hard too”  (Read 846 times)

Sander

Cheer me up with “my first weeks were hard too”
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:39:27 AM »
Post op now.
First 10 days were very painful. Developed a painful groin since day 3. Painful enough to wake me up at night.

Feeling down because I am not one of those painless recovery stories. Reality hit hard. Yet still very hopeful it’ll get better.
It is a new pain I didn’t feel pre-op , glutes and quads and wound are very acceptable pain level. But the groin/hip is not at all. (First suspect is irritated hip flexors - but pain killers are not managing it, seems too dramatic)

If I learn many passed this path before me and ended up being proud success stories , it will cheer me up and fill me with confidence.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:18:38 AM by Sander »

Ljpviper

Re: Cheer me up with “my first weeks we’re hard too”
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
Totally normal you will have pains come and go for the first six weeks to the 6 month mark. You are doing fine.

Regards,

Larry

Sander

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »
Thanks Larry 🙏
Even this strong groin pain capable of waking me up a few times a night , normal ? And last 4 days seem standing in place pain wise.
I trust my doc (one of top in USA) other patients in my batch are doing very very well only feeling muscle soreness...

Thanks again, will hold to all good ideas and hopes .. even if my recovery is the odd one .. I’ll take the long run result

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:18:40 AM by Sander »

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »
Sander-

What if any exercises are you doing?  I found it critical to get those basic PT post surgery done at least 2-3 times a day during the first two weeks.  Ankle pumps, quad and glute isometrics, abduction, tailor, heel drag, bridges.  I found excessive indolence counter productive and that it was best to push myself gently as well as getting plenty of rest and sleep.  If I skipped even one session of exercise I paid for it in discomfort and stiffness.  Were you given an exercise program?  McMinn's website covers this well.  Best of luck.

Sander

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »
Dear Jim
Current line of thought that it is likely an irritated psoas tendon.. it really didn’t want to do the leg raise and I kind of forced it, outch, since then leg raises are out of question  ... not 100% sure. I hope it is mild case of tendon issue or simpler condition, but it’s so painful , I didn’t expect it this early ... otherwise I hear it diff to deal with.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:37:49 PM by Sander »

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »
Sander, hip resurfacing requires the surgeon to cut through the bursa that cushions the psoas where it runs over the hip. So immediately after surgery, that tendon drops down and rubs right on bone and the new implant. Hence, that wincing pain when you try to lift your leg.
So if it hurts, don't do it so it can heal. And don't do it until it becomes pain free. It took me about 4 weeks before the leg lifting didn't hurt anymore. And refuse if you go to PT and they put you on leg lifts.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »
SanderEveryone has a different recovery.  Some people have very painful problems in the beginning. Are you taking your pain meds?  Many people start to feel good and then stop.  It is difficult to catch up if you stop them.  Sounds like you need a little help.  If you don't have meds left from surgeon, try over the counter meds.  if you have run out of meds from your doctor, give them a call to see what else they can give you.  When you are in pain, your body does not heal well. And, of course you can't sleep which doesn't help healing.
Are you icing?  You can also keep you leg up more.  Put some pillows under it at night.  Get in a lounge chair.  Like my surgeon said - toes above the nose.
Sometimes we just have to baby ourselves for awhile.  There are all kinds of muscles and liagments involved in the surgery.  It definitely takes time to get over the hump and back to a normal, pain free life.  No matter what you read about the fast recoveries, there are as many slow recoveries.  Some really slow.  There have been a few people that took almost a year to get back.  Not normally for most.  6 weeks is usually a milestone and things feel better.  6 months is when most people are geetting pretty much to normal. A full year is normally need to get back to heavy sports.
So don't feel bad.  We all have our own recoveries.  I hope you start to feel better soon.  Healing comes in plateaus.  All of a sudden you will start to feel a little better.  Then sometimes it is one step forward and two back.  But you will get there.
I wish you the best.Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
Post op now.
First 10 days were very painful. Developed a painful groin since day 3. Painful enough to wake me up at night.

Feeling down because I am not one of those painless recovery stories. Reality hit hard. Yet still very hopeful it’ll get better.
It is a new pain I didn’t feel pre-op , glutes and quads and wound are very acceptable pain level. But the groin/hip is not at all. (First suspect is irritated hip flexors - but pain killers are not managing it, seems too dramatic)

If I learn many passed this path before me and ended up being proud success stories , it will cheer me up and fill me with confidence.

I felt that my recovery was both good and fairly quick.  Does NOT mean it was painless.

You've had major surgery and your body needs to deal with it.  Pat had great advice - at first, don't let the pain get a jump on you.  Take what you need, no one gets any medals for pain. I had my meds in the hospital and then took high dose Advil pain pills (prescribed) for about a month afterwards.

I made sure on both hips that I hydrated as much as possible, did my exercises like ankle pumps, etc. I also iced like a fiend, making sure that I gave my poor body as much support as possible.

When I was lying prone, either on the couch or in bed, I put a pillow under the knee, to take some pressure off the hip.

My advice though is to let your body tell you whether something is ok or not. I didn't do leg raises for a while, and then only with a physical therapist. 

If something didn't feel right, I just said no. These people work for you, not the other way around.

I'd let the pain subside from that groin and just walk. 

Most of all though - be patient. This is a long distance run, not a sprint.  Your bones need to heal, your muscles need to heal.  You're not trying to get anything stronger right now, you are trying to reattach bones that were rearranged.

Your body will also need to realign itself after the basic healing of bones and muscles is done, since it has twisted itself to compensate for the arthritis.  Muscles will be atrophied and need to get back to normal shape.

A lot to do - but be patient. All of us had pain, I believe (will gladly be proven wrong if not) but it does recede if you're careful and kind to yourself.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

catfriend

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
My comments are similar to Pat's vis a vis pain meds. You need to take them. I was required to go to this hip/knee replacement seminar before my surgery, and the nurse that ran it made it clear that the best way to manage the pain was to take the pain meds in advance. Set your alarm if necessary, and take them on time. It is much easier to keep the pain at bay than to try and control it once the pain takes over. I made sure to take the meds.

I had injections in my groin/inner thigh area. My surgeon pointed them out to me. If I waited a little too long to take my meds then they hurt. Even after I tapered off the oxycodone I had a couple of spots that would spasm and cause pain. At my follow up I was given Tramadol to control these (I wanted something less strong than the oxy, but a lot stronger than Tylenol). I don't think your experience is that unusual. You will heal. The pain will go away. Just take the drugs! I realize there is a lot of publicity because of the opiate crisis. Well, surgery is on the top reasons to actually need them. I am amazed at people here who just get by with Tylenol. No way could I have done that.

Sander

Re: Cheer me up with “my first weeks were hard too”
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 07:01:42 AM »
I was managing with pain first 5 days and little by little was gaining mobility, till that groin pain took over then all went south.
Now I’m weaker and more bed bound, waiting for anti inflammatory drugs I added to the usual pain killers to do something.

Maybe my muscles/tendons was way weaker and couldn’t cope even with initial walking and exercises.

jimbone

Re: Cheer me up with “my first weeks were hard too”
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »
Sander-

You might have strained something as you implied but that wouldn't mean you "ruined" the operation or compromised the HR.  Leg lifts, if that was what you were doing, were far beyond my capacity at 2 weeks.  It was probably a good month to 6 weeks before I could get those started.  If it's a muscle/tendon/soft tissue strain let it rest and heal.   Massage can be helpful.  Leg lifts require a lot of core strength- if yours was diminished by inactivity leading up to surgery because of the OA it's only natural those muscles/soft tissues would complain from initial overuse/strain.  Taking your time and approaching it gently but consistently was what I found the best course to follow. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat