+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calcium Supplement  (Read 807 times)

Optimistic

Calcium Supplement
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
Hello everyone,
I had recent right hip bone resurfacing surgery with Dr. Gross.  Let me start by saying that Dr. Gross and his entire staff are truly amazing and I would highly recommend him.

Since I had marginally low bone density, they recommended I take Fosamax once a week for 6 months also with a Calcium supplement (1500 mg) and Vitamin D (1000 IU) daily.  I'm struggling to decide on what brand of calcium/vitamin D I should take.  I was told to take a plant based supplement as the body absorbs it better and they mentioned AlgaeCal.  However, in researching online, I see there is a bit of controversy over the lead in the product.  Also, I've read your body cannot absorb more than 500 mg of Calcium supplement in a day.  In order to get the needed dose of calcium, I would need to take 6 pills a day, which seems a bit excessive and not even sure this is safe as the recommended daily dose is only 3 pills and I've read excessive calcium supplement can lead to other problems.

Has anyone done any research on this and found a calcium/vitamin D supplement that they would recommend?

Many thanks!

jwall07

Re: Calcium Supplement
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »
I am on Fosamax for a year and was given same supplement advice by Dr. Gross in May ‘19. I found Garden of Life myKind organic plant calcium on Amazon and take 3 tablets spread throughout the day to get 800mg.  I think the 500 mg limit you speak of is per meal not per day. I make up the other 200 mg of calcium with a tums if I have not had a good dose of calcium in my diet. I won’t do another dexa scan until I go back to Dr so I don’t know yet if this is enough to help my bone density
Dr. Gross, 5/2019

Optimistic

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply.  Just checked out on Amazon and this looks like a good option.  Hope all is well with you almost one year post op!

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:28:15 AM »
Have a look online into the role of vitamin K2 - apparently necessary to assist vitamin D3 in getting  calcium into the bones rather than the arteries. K2 is hard to get from diet alone but pills are small and cheap...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

frigator

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 06:43:46 AM »
I buy the New Chapter slim tabs whole food calcium....made from algae in Iceland I think, bought from Amazon.  I took the foamax for two years and my dexa scan scores barely moved. Dr Gross suggested Prolia, so now I get an injection every six months.

Optimistic

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:13 AM »
Thanks All!  @frigator - do you just take 3 pills a day of the New Chapter slim?  This would only be 780 mg of calcium or do you double and take 6 pills a day? 

frigator

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 06:47:51 AM »
 I was told to take two a day up until my 2yr checkup. I actually go to a doctor who treats osteoporis who says too much calcium is not good.   My bloodwork showed my calcium was too high after two years, so after starting the prolia I now only take one tab a day and skip every Sunday. If I had to do it all over I would not take the fosamax at all and go directly to the Prolia, but insurance may not cover it. But mine did because I tried the fosamax first and it didnt work for me.

Optimistic

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
I've tried the Garden of Life organic plant calcium and find they are very large and sometimes difficult to swallow.  Also, since the daily dose suggestion of 3 pills only gives you 800 mg of calcium vs 1500 mg suggested, does anyone else have any calcium supplements they would recommend that are fairly easy to swallow?  I also looked into the New chapter slim tabs but daily dose of 3 pills also only gives you 770 mg.

frigator

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 06:22:21 AM »
 I think the plant based  calcium absorbs better than the chalk pills which I started with then quickly switched. The first six months are the most dangerous for femoral neck fracture so you could swallow six a day if you want.  The are still pretty big pills but slimmer than most. I have osteoporosis and used a doctor who treats it to advise me and I was told the 1500 recommendation is too high for me and only take two, which I did with no problem. Of course he had checked my blood and used the level there to make his recommendation. You also get calcium through your food too.  Now I only take one a day.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:36:11 AM by frigator »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat