+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: HIP RESURFACING ONGOING ISSUES  (Read 1056 times)

Ljpviper

HIP RESURFACING ONGOING ISSUES
« on: February 24, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »
Well after almost 4 years into my HR by Dr.Gross I am still having ongoing issues no one can figure out. I had my surgery April-16, I recovered nicely till month 11. Out of no where I started having glute pain and weakness in my hip. I also get daily swelling upon weight bearing in the am.

The pain is chronic throughout the day and radiates in my entire hip. I measured my HR hip today to my non HR hip and it swells 3 inches in circumference. That is measuring the adductors highest point and around my hip.

I had blood checked several times over the last 3 years all my metals are low. My last one in November-19 I had cobalt at .5 and chromium at .7. All other markers were low for infection.

I have had CT,MRI,Xray and a bone scan nothing shows. All seems normal. At this point I don't believe its a muscle or tendon issue. Also, tried PT,ART, etc. Nothing worked. The swelling is concerning.

I have an appointment with a surgeon at HSS in there new Palm Beach facility in a few weeks. I don't want to remove these components and I am still in the same boat. Maybe I need an exploratory surgery to see what is going on.

Only other thing I can think of is I a am super sensitive to metals. After three years of trying to convince myself this will correct itself its apparent it wont.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated

Thanks,

Larry

blinky

Re: HIP RESURFACING ONGOING ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »
I am so sorry.

If it is swelling, could it be a lymphatic issue? Something to do with how fluid moves in your body?
Have you tried myofasial massage?

Ljpviper

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
I tried different types of massages over the years, nothing seemed to help. In speaking to a few orthos and sports medicine doctors they stated the swelling and pain upon weight bearing in the morning is definitely not normal.

Lets hope HSS can figure out what is causing this.

Thanks,

Larry

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
I am sorry to hear you are having problems.  Have you been back to see Dr. Gross?
Are you in Florida?  You could also send several emails out to the other surgeons with your x-rays and describe your problems.  Dr. Pritchett and Dr. De Smet often do revisions of others.  Maybe with all they have seen in the past, they might have some suggestions.  It is free and worth a try.
You definitely need to find out what is causing the problem. It would be terrible to go through revisions and find you still have the same problems.
I wish I could help, but my best advice is always talk to the top surgeons and get several opinions.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ljpviper

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 02:33:30 PM »
Yes, I have been back to Dr.Gross twice he could not figure it out. I am in Florida actually. Lets see what the surgeons in the new HSS facility can recommend. You are correct, you have to be sure 100% what is causing the chronic hip pain and inflammation before any type of revision is even considered.

I am going to reach out to Dr. Pritchett after I meet with the surgeons at HSS in 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Larry 

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
Larry-

Sorry to read of your difficulties, it must be disappointing and I do hope you get it worked out.  As a bilateral Dr. Pritchett patient 20+ months out and doing gratefully very well I am a bit biased in my choice of surgeons but will tell you he is something of a wizard.  Taking nothing away from the tremendous successes of many other doctors, Dr. Pritchett seems to have a strong history for technically challenging revisions and a deeply insightful perspective on anatomy.  As Pat recommended it would be worth the effort to consult with him.  Best of luck.

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 03:46:24 PM »
 :) Hi Larry. Get an opinion from Dr Pritchett in the USA is that where you  are I think. It could be what you suspect.... Cheers K

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:46:49 AM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz