+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hamstring and Glute tightness  (Read 922 times)

joshb7_

Hamstring and Glute tightness
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
Hi All,

Has anybody experienced tight hamstring/glute tightness since the operation? I have hip impingement in flex position post surgery, with super tight feeling hamstring that does not really respond to stretch. Wondering if tight glute/hamstring is having an effect and what options are there to improve the hamstring?

Thanks,
Josh

jimbone

Re: Hamstring and Glute tightness
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 01:00:44 PM »
Hello Josh,

Yes to answer your question.  I had very tight glute and hamstrings issues following both my surgeries [ 8 weeks apart] about 20 months ago.  It just took a lot of consistent daily effort for me to work through them and I didn't think I made any significant progress for at least 5-6 months.  By that I mean I still felt significant restriction in ROM when positioning either foot into a higher position [like a step or ladder] and leaning into it- would cause considerable discomfort in the glutes.  One partial solution for me was working those muscles daily with isometric "butt squeezes" and the abductor & adductor machines at the gym 3-4 times a week.  Lots of daily stretching- band walking and foam rolling.  Same thing with the hamstrings- it just took a long time for them to come back and even now I still can't put my palms to the floor bending over with straight legs but I'm still working on it and a few other unresolved restriction that may or may not come back.  Overall my functioning is very satisfactory and I am enjoying the return to pain free life again but it took a lot of patience and perseverance, all well worth it.  Don't know how long you're out of surgery but keep in mind the body wants to function properly and without pain it's generally our brains that are the culprit for our impatience.  Keep at it- you'll continue to improve- it just takes time.  Best of luck.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:01:47 PM »
Hey Josh, how far along are you?  That may play into how tight it should / would be. Agree with everything Jimbone mentioned.

Just an extra thing, having done quite a bit of stretching - make sure you do it in concordance with your doctor.  You don't want to stress the joint itself trying to work out the muscles.

The glute and hamstrings are big muscles, and have to be stretched when they have been warmed. As jimbone mentions, any kind of pre stretch movements is a plus.  Otherwise the muscle is cold, and since it's much stronger than the joint, some stretches will put stress on the joint.  Which in our case, especially close to post surgery is not what you want.

Walking is a great warm up, get the muscles moving a bit and then stretch. But again, coordinate with your medical people for when that can start seriously for those specific muscles in particular.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

joshb7_

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
Hi,

Im two years post surgery. I stretch occasionally but feel the surgery has caused permanent neural or muscle tension in leg. Would also mention that my hip scans show my cup has apparently been inserted into a decent enough position, yet i have hip impingement post surgery and cant move my hip beyond 95 degrees.

I have lots of lower back pain and lots hip flexor pain, especially when trying to run or play sports. Continuing to look into every route possible for a return to sport given i am 30 yo!!!

Wondering if any of this resonates and if the back could be inhibiting my range of movement in hip or vice versa...

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 04:11:11 AM »
Hi Josh.
My surgeon made my legs 10 to 15mm longer to accommodate dislocation.
Seemed to work perfect and in 10 days they have stretched enough to be at ease. About 1mm per day.
I would say there could be something else going on to look at.
Cup angle - wear.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat