+-

Author Topic: Scar tissue in the hip  (Read 2896 times)

joshb7_

Scar tissue in the hip
« on: March 13, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
Has anyone suffered from scar tissue causing impingement in the hip post-op?

I am 2 years out and struggling with impingement and range of movement, despite scans showing as normal for both cup placement and psoas tendon. There is a suggestion that the impingement is from scar tissue in the hip and possibly I may get re-opened up by the surgeon to have a poke around to see what is causing my problem.

Anyone with any experience on this?

Ljpviper

Re: Scar tissue in the hip
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »
Got the same answer from an ortho at HSS yesterday. Best to have a scope surgeon do that. He can look for scar tissue and any issue with a tendon or muscle in the hip area. Also, u might look into psoas release as well.

Where are you located?

Thanks,

larry

joshb7_

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:21:45 PM »
Have scans showed this on you or are they exploring?

Im in Birmingham, Uk.

Sander

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
I'm 2 months post-op and recovery couldn't be farthest from a normal average recovery.

hip flexor or psoas is going crazy. I have to limit my daily steps for the bare minimum to avoid a flare up.
I tried taking it gradually 300 step up to 2000 step ( 2000 in all day is just bed to bath to patio a few times ) then it flares up and back to 300 steps again.
still on one crutch after two months !! is it a total failure ?!
Already had this cycle three times ,, each cycle about 4 weeks.

I have no idea what could be wrong.
I try to convince myself that everything is ok by the psoas tendon is acting up and preventing any progress .. hoping for it to magically settle. fighting desperation
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:59:53 PM by Sander »

BKB41

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »
what kind of symptoms are you having with your hip flexors/iliopsoas??

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 09:49:11 PM »
Sander-

While not as severe as your symptoms, my second HR produced some unnerving setbacks with concerns of potential psoas impingement.  It was a good 2 months before I could handle any leg raising exercise [laying on back lift straight leg, straight up].  Along with probably a good 4-5 months of recovery on the glute muscles.  This really only occurred with the 2nd operation, the 1st was 8 weeks earlier and recovery was easier.  I had many moments of profound concern the damage was severe and quite a few discouraging afternoons.  Best advice is probably consult with your surgeon and try to get some imaging to rule out orthopedic problems, see if PT will help advance your cause and keep in mind this is a very intrusive surgery that some people take a longer time to recover from but that the body will want to conform to good health in its own time.  Best wishes.

Sander

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »
BKB41 and jimbone

My symptoms.
painful walk and focal and strong pain in night in upper thigh/groin. still on a crutch after 2 months (other wise limp to avoid pain)
straight leg raise is out of question.

My next attempt is to keep walking below 1000 step a day for a weak to give psoas any chance for recovering.
Despite my post-op experience I still hope I need no further intervention because it so dam demoralising.

after this surgery, my hip cannot be the source of the pain. right ?  so it must be something else
I'll give it another month (3rd month) to see if there is any progress ( stop needing a crutch, being able to walk 500m-1km in a single walk etc )
if not, I'll go to the imaging and consulting again :(

BKB41

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
Did you have any problems with the hip "snapping" or a sharp shooting pain to the groin with any rotation? I had these symptoms with external rotation of the hip

Sander

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
I have groin pain that radiates along the thigh bone sometimes.

one particular move that extremely painful is:
lay on stomach ben knees 90 degrees in the air. try to squees them or an object between them,
I think this is a rotational move.

what is your condition what you learned so far ?
I have no idea , is it bone issue, small muscles, scars etc ...

Sander

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:45 AM »
continuing my reply: the painful move is called " prone heel squeeze or prone ball squeeze"

according to medical literature groin pain after hip surgery are caused by one of these:

acetabular loosening, stress fracture, and iliopsoas tendonitis and impingement.

the first two can be eliminated by imaging (will do)

the other two need trial and error approach that I'm afraid of.

jimbone

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 12:48:20 AM »
Those are hard prospects to face, sorry to hear it.  If it were me I'd probably want to know where I stood as early on as possible to get it addressed and move onward, but that's just me.  Best of luck.

BKB41

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
So with the sharp shooting pain that's I was having in my groin AFTER labrum repair and then labrum reconstruction... my physician thought it was related to iliopsoas. So this past christmas eve 2019, he did a iliopsoas tendon release/lengthening via arthroscopic approach.  Unfortunately, this was my 3rd hip scope in 14 months. I started up therapy a few weeks later after surgery, and I would say around February my symptoms progressed and replicated. He attributed my issues to OA of the right hip and "extra articular scar tissue" due to having 3 scopes.  The only way to remove it would be a more severe surgery of removing scar tissue, which would RISK me for conditions like avascular necrosis of hip.  Because of my age (33 at the time), he wanted me to see Dr Peter Brooks at the Cleveland clinic for an evaluation of hip resurfacing.  That way if/when that scar tissue is removed, then doing the resurfacing wouldn't be a problem nor a risk for avascular necrosis.  I am scheduled for surgery begin on June.  Would have got it sooner but was getting weekly injections of hyaluronic acid to hopefully provide relief for OA.

Sander

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »
Those are hard prospects to face, sorry to hear it.  If it were me I'd probably want to know where I stood as early on as possible to get it addressed and move onward, but that's just me.  Best of luck.

Yes but still some hope: I really think that fracture and loosening are very unlikely, because young age, excellent surgeon and type of pain.
My best guess is it's the psoas either its very weak or something is bothering it ( rubbing cup or scar tissue ... )
In best case scenario, psoas needs more than 2.5 months to adjust and I just wait.
Second best: injections
Worst: intervention.

hardest part is diagnosing it.

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Blurry vision post-op by rday12
June 29, 2020, 10:45:58 PM

Re: Blurry vision post-op by Pat Walter
June 29, 2020, 04:36:07 PM

Blurry vision post-op by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:41:11 PM

Re: 6 days post op how much swelling? by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats