+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I travel for 6 Week Follow Up?  (Read 959 times)

Optimistic

Should I travel for 6 Week Follow Up?
« on: March 14, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
Hello,
I am 5 weeks post op and due to travel next week for my 6 week post op visit with my surgeon, Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC.  I am a bit nervous about exposing myself to Coronavirus while on plane and at airport and debating whether I should cancel my in person follow up visit.  Has any of Dr. Gross's patients done a 6 week remote visit  and do you think it is sufficient/nearly effective as in person visit or would you take a higher risk of Coronavirus and travel for the in person appointment?

Many thanks!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Should I travel for 6 Week Follow Up?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:10:33 PM »
Hi
I would talk to Dr. Gross's office.  In my opinion, I would not want to expose myself to the virus so soon after surgery.  Your body is still healing.  I would imagine you could put off your visit for a few weeks.  Maybe he would have you get an x-ray and send it to him.  I am not sure, but I think you need to talk to him.
Most of us that had surgeries overseas never had any follow ups in person.  So I am guessing, there will be a solution for you. 

Always talk to your surgeon when you have questions.  It is always nice to know other's opinions, but in the end the doctor should give you the answer you need.
I wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

frigator

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 07:55:52 AM »
I didnt even see Dr Gross for my first checkup, his nurse handled the visit. I also didnt see Dr Gross for my pre-op, his nurse also handled that visit.  So you may not be seeing Dr Gross on that visit anyway. I would get an x-ray and ask for a video visit. I think they explain the phase two excercises during this vist and look at the xray.

Optimistic

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies! 

I did reach out to Dr. Gross's office last week and they said at this time they are not recommending cancelling appointments but to follow CDC guidance.  We could possibly cancel our flight and drive (about 9 1/2 hour drive), but just not really sure this is worth it, especially given increased risk of blood clots in driving long distances.

@Frigator - do you feel the phase 2 exercises would be easy to learn from another local PT or do you feel you benefited by being trainined on how to properly do these by Dr. Gross's office?

frigator

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
I think the phase two exercise are easy to learn and you really dont need to be present to learn them. Mainly the leg lifts are explained and how you add weight as you become stronger. I dont think its worth it to go, they mainly want to make sure your implant has not moved and they can do that with an xray taken where you live.

blinky

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
I wouldn't fly for fear of getting stranded. Driving? With frequent stops you could do it. I took a nine hour driving trip three weeks out. We just broke it up. But with the rapidly changing situation, could you get stuck somewhere? Not to mention get exposed.

If you are feeling good, however, I don't think you need to go. Those new exercises are easy to learn. I say this as someone who, pre Covid 19, did go for the six week check up. We decided to make a victory trip out of it. I flew alone form Texas, had my check up, flew to NOLA to meet the family for a little vacay. It was reassuring to see Lee and Dr Gross, but it was not necessary. I scheduled that return appointment just in case I had issues or questions.

Would they let you FaceTime or video chat?

Joe_CA

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
Hi Optimistic,

It's your call of course. I didn't go to my 6-week post op mainly because I lived too far away from Dr. Gross's office. As long as you're able to get him the post-op x-rays so he can verify the device placement is still fine, that would probably be good enough. I haven't read all of your posts, but am assuming you're not having any significant issues.

-Joe
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:25:40 PM by Joe_CA »
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Optimistic

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses.  We finally made a decision last night to cancel the appointment and I emailed Dr. Gross's office last night to see what remote options were available.  They emailed me this morning and informed me they are now closing their office for at least 2 weeks.  Therefore, appointment would have been canceled anyway.  I now to see a local PT to do my hip exam/evaluation and help to teach me the phase 2 exercises.  I also need to get an XRay and then send everything to Dr. Gross's office, who will then reply back to me in the form of a letter.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat