+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip  (Read 749 times)

PistolPete

9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip
« on: August 19, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced 9 years ago.  Things with it have been OK.  I have decent flexibility with it but nothing to brag about.  It does click fairly often mostly when I bend over and then stand upright there is always a click.  I haven't had much pain with it at all which is great but my strength never fully came back with it.  I was still leg pressing 1000+lbs. but not where I would want it to be.  I've been super active once healed and I work out 6-7 days per week and I'm a bodybuilder so I lift super heavy. 

The past year or so I've been doing less and less legs to the point where I basically just do leg extensions etc.  The past few months things have gotten much worse.  It's at the point the pain is really bad and it's very difficult putting my left sock on and tying my shoe etc.  Basically, it's time and I'm going to call my surgeon within the next week for the initial appointment.

I'm curious if things have changed with Resurfacing over the years?  I'm thinking about possibly the mini-hip as I like the idea of the ceramic cup.  I had an issue years ago where my hip was squeaking going up stairs and my metal ion test was slightly elevated.  I never went back to have it rechecked as I honestly didn't want to know.  I am a bit nervous that it could be elevated but I will cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Anyways, just wanted to reintroduce myself as it looks like it's time to be a bilateral hippy.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Hey there PistolPete.  I remember your handle from way back then.  I, too, had my right hip done 9 years ago.  My left hip is scheduled for October 28th of this year (2020).  My left one went bad VERY quickly.  I went from bootcamp workouts 6 days a week to barely being able to walk or sleep.  It was horrible for about 2 months, and since has subsided to be mostly pain-free.  I had the same sock issue for sure.  Now, I still limp a little and can't run or jump without pain.  So, in short, it's time.  Best of luck to you!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »
Hi Folks

Hope you are all doing well in these uncertain times.

It's just gone 11 years since I had my right hip resurfacing, and post surgery I followed my surgeons advice to give up road running and stick to walking, golf and cycling.

For the past 6 months or so I have been experiencing severe pains in left hip, and a clicking noise in right knee when walking.

Had X-ray done, and it's done.

Booked in for surgery 27th November.

Having Birmingham this time.

That said my dodgy DePuy one seems to be holding up just fine after the scares that cropped up.

Was hoping that the procedure had improved a little since 2009, but alas not!!! At least I know what to expect.

Put off surgery until November so I can see out golf season. Can't walk 18 holes now without being in severe pain and unable to bend to put ball on tee, so have become a buggy rider. My friends call me "Ironside".

Get the op done, don't keep suffering.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat