+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 months after right hip resurfacing  (Read 1108 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
7 months after right hip resurfacing
« on: August 20, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »
I am posting this for bcmaughan from the temporary forum
What a shame the last forum was hacked. Why would anyone be so nasty as to do that to what was a very useful service/forum and source of information and reassurance for all of us who have had or are thinking of having this operation?!
Anyway I had a right hip resurfacing with an adept system in January this year so am now 7 months out. To be quite honest I am still a little disappointed and frustrated with it as it has not been the maracle cure I was hoping for. I am still in a fair bit of discomfort at this stage and wonder how normal that is? I have some issues with my  knee that were not there prior to the resurfacing. For instance when lying on my back with left leg bent to 90 degrees and then I try to place right ankle on left knee it feels like there are some real problems with the knee joint not moving as it should as I cannot get my right knee anywhere near to 90 degrees out and certainly can't grasp my left knee and pull both legs towards me. This very restricated knee movement was not there before the operation. I also get quite a lot of pain in the groin when I try to stand on one leg. The discomfort in the joint is fairly constant. It is not agony but it is certainly not completely comfortable either. Perhaps normal for this stage? I am a fit and active 47 year old with a physical job so am a little frustrated with the result so far.

I obtained xray images of the implant and on the previous forum was advised that there are surgeons who might take a look at the images sent via email just to do a second opinion on the implant. My surgeon was happy at my 7 week followup appointment that all was good with the positioning of the implant etc. Grateful if anyone might advise which surgeons might offer this service please.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

Re: 7 months after right hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »
Dr Gross would look at your hip xrays for a second opinion.

The knee. Has it lost mobility since surgery? The pain is new? Maybe it had some arthritis that was disguised by the worse arthritis in the hip? Maybe you were manhandled during surgery and are still recovering? I'm five years post op and have all sorts of new pains in new places. Everywhere but the hips!

Saddlepal3

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 06:54:11 AM »
I think you are smart to seek other opinions. Your situation doesn't sound quite right. Have you worked with a physical therapist? If not, I would recommend that.

Dr. Pritchett in Seattle will provide an opinion if you send your images to him.
Good luck!

rday12

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
I agree that the situation seems odd. I am about 7 months removed from a right BHR. I have had a few aches and  pains elsewhere in the leg (eg.- calf muscle strain, minor knee pain), but those quickly went away, and I wondered whether they had to do with my leg actually being positioned properly for the first time in years. Your situation sounds different, and possibly more indicative of a problem. Best of luck with this, and I hope everything works out well.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »

That doesn't sound right to me either.  At six months I was back playing tennis.  It took a fair amount of time to get any quickness back, but other than that I basically couldn't tell I had a fake hip by that point.

Who was your surgeon?  Do you know how many resurfacings they had done prior to yours?

I second the suggestion that you get a 2nd opinion from Dr. Gross.  He's the BEST.  He just did my left hip 8 days ago (right hip 8 1/2 years ago). 
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM