Author Topic: Hip bend past 90° post-surgery?  (Read 205 times)

Joacchim

Hip bend past 90° post-surgery?
« on: May 10, 2020, 03:19:16 AM »
I could've sworn I saw a post somewhere saying you shouldn't bend your hip past 90° while recovering from resurfacing surgery, but I'm reading the Clinic's "Patient's Guide to Hip Resurfacing and Rapid Recovery", and it says "Unlike instructions given to patients who have had a total hip replacement....you are allowed to bend past 90° and try to touch your toes while sitting". 

I'm sure this will be explained to me as I get closer to my surgery date, but in the meantime, can someone clarify what the limit is for hip movement after surgery?  Does it mean 90° bend is okay while sitting but not while standing? 

Please feel free to elaborate on your own experience.  Thanks!

Kevman

Re: Hip bend past 90° post-surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
For me there was three restrictions- no bend past 90, no crossing of legs and no twisting on your operated side.

It applied to sitting and standing and I had to get chair/ bed/ toilet risers to meet a certain length. I also bought a second hand chair for the living room as my sofas were very low.

My surgeon was quite conservative and I had to adhere to these restrictions for 3 months. Every surgeon will be different but I think the norm is 6 weeks. The risk of dislocation is lower with resurfacing but if it does pop out i believe it's difficult to get it back properly again.

Post surgery I could not have touched my toes if I had wanted to. I think your body lets you know when it's ready :D

rday12

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:24:42 AM »
I also had the 90 degree restriction for 3 months. I was surprised when my surgeon did not lift the restriction at my 6 week follow up, as my understanding is that the 6 week mark is the norm. Just thinking logically, it would seem aggressive to allow a 90+ degree flex immediately after surgery, since the damaged tendons etc. have not even begun to heal. On the other hand, it’s not like anything approaching a 90 degree flex would even be possible for the vast majority of patients for a couple of weeks post surgery, so it’s a moot point for most. You will probably be a few weeks into rehab and you’ll laugh when you think back to the time you considered whether immediate  90 degree flex is a good idea. You’ll be doing well to get to about 70.

As far as sitting vs. standing, 90 degrees is 90 degrees. Honestly, you’ll have plenty of areas to strengthen once you get past the first few recovery days, and you won’t need to be the least bit aggressive in order to start to rehab effectively. Pushing towards 90 degree flex should be a minor concern, if a concern at all. Your recovery will not be a race, and resist any thoughts to treat it as such. Recovery is a 3 month process. Use the time wisely, not aggressively.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:28:37 AM by rday12 »

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »
I had the 90 degree restriction for 6 weeks. Like the others have said, even when that restriction is lifted it's not exactly like you can touch your toes, anyway. I can't remember if I was "allowed" to cross my legs or twist on the operated side. Probably not. Again, not that it mattered. It'll be a while before you can cross your operated leg over your non op one. There was a point when I wondered if I would ever be able to do that again. But bit by bit... now I do it all the time without even thinking about it.

Some of the restrictions and recommendations (like these) vary by doctor, and often don't matter. Your body doesn't always cooperate with your mind.

ahausheer

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »
I could've sworn I saw a post somewhere saying you shouldn't bend your hip past 90° while recovering from resurfacing surgery, but I'm reading the Clinic's "Patient's Guide to Hip Resurfacing and Rapid Recovery", and it says "Unlike instructions given to patients who have had a total hip replacement....you are allowed to bend past 90° and try to touch your toes while sitting". 

I'm sure this will be explained to me as I get closer to my surgery date, but in the meantime, can someone clarify what the limit is for hip movement after surgery?  Does it mean 90° bend is okay while sitting but not while standing? 

Please feel free to elaborate on your own experience.  Thanks!

Depends on the surgical approach (which muscles and soft tissue were cut/moved) and the surgeons preference. So a generalization can't be made.