+-

Author Topic: Need help finding a Surgeon  (Read 531 times)

PistolPete

Need help finding a Surgeon
« on: September 01, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »
So, I live in Massachusetts and I had my right hip resurfaced 9 years ago.  I met with my surgeon today and he is no longer doing any surgeries because of a blown out elbow.  I met with his other surgeon but they no longer do resurfacing or mini hip or anything.  They were showing me the smaller hip option but the implant is REALLY small.  I asked about dislocation possibilities and he said I wouldn't be able to do Martial Arts or bodybuilding any longer.  At that point I would rather just live in pain.

I'm now going to have to find a new surgeon and was looking for recommendations.  I prefer to stay on the East Coast if possible.  Not sure how a 9 hour drive will be after surgery but it is what it is.  Those that have had to travel for your surgery what was your experience?

PistolPete

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 01:16:08 PM »
I just found Dr. Marchand in Rhode Island on this site.  Does anyone have any experience with him?  Dr. Gross is about about an 18 hour Drive or a 2 hour flight.  Not sure about flying right after surgery though.  Dr. Marchand is only a 2 hour drive.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
Hi  I am sorry to hear your other hip is bothering you. You have a nice selection of very experienced surgeons fairly close to in NY. Also Dr. Brooks is in OH and of course Dr. Gross in SC.  Here is the list for you   https://surfacehippy.info/hip-resurfacing-doctors-over-1000-hip-resurfacing-surgeries/
Almost everyone has to travel.If you travel a distance, you just stay a day or two until you are ready to travel.  A lot of people have driven home from Dr. Brooks very quickly. I waited 5 days since I had to fly from Belgium to OH. I am sure many people will share their stories with you.

Almost all the experienced surgeons will do email consults.  Talk to a few and see how you feel about travel.  Most of us would rather have a hip resurfacing than a THR, as you understand.
I wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

PistolPete

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
Thank you Pat I appreciate it.  Thank you for this site as well as it's helped so many of us.  I agree about traveling instead of getting a total hip done.  I'm way too active for that.  I noticed Dr. Su is in NY so if I can get in there it would be a great option.  Only a 3-4 hour drive for me so def. doable.

moe

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 05:16:37 PM »
Hi Pete, more than 11 years on my hips from Dr Marchand, thousands of bike miles, hiking, weight training, all no problem.  He really is excellent. Did both of mine the same day. He is in great demand, so you may have to wait a while, but it will be worth it.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Jon

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
Ed Su at HSS has a great reputation.  Dennis Burke at BIDMC is awesome, but sticks to totals and revisions...
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

ahausheer

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »
Lot of good surgeons to be found on this site. Dr. Su, Dr. Gross, and Dr. Brooks would make my short list. This is a life changing procedure. If you have to travel to do it, then travel to do it. 2 years out and I could care less that I flew half way across the country. Your hip will thank you for seeing the best doctor you can, regardless of distance.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
I agree about Dr. Gross.  He did my right hip in 2011, and will be doing my left hip next month (October 2020).  It's a hike, but he's the best.  The others mentioned are, by all accounts, top notch as well.

My brother had his hip done by Dr. Brooks in Cleveland, which is where he lives and closer to you.  Read up on each surgeons approach to surgery (anterior, posterior, and others), whether they use cemented or uncemented implants, and maybe use some of those answers to determine what will be best for you.

There's tons of good information here:  http://www.grossortho.com/patient-education/explanations
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »
So, I live in Massachusetts and I had my right hip resurfaced 9 years ago.  I met with my surgeon today and he is no longer doing any surgeries because of a blown out elbow.  I met with his other surgeon but they no longer do resurfacing or mini hip or anything.  They were showing me the smaller hip option but the implant is REALLY small.  I asked about dislocation possibilities and he said I wouldn't be able to do Martial Arts or bodybuilding any longer.  At that point I would rather just live in pain.

I'm now going to have to find a new surgeon and was looking for recommendations.  I prefer to stay on the East Coast if possible.  Not sure how a 9 hour drive will be after surgery but it is what it is.  Those that have had to travel for your surgery what was your experience?

Hey Pete!  I think we had the same surgeon. He doesn't do resurfacing any more, but I still go back for my checkups every few years.  He did a mini hip for my brother in law about eight years ago, but since is not doing anything other than THRs.

I'd go to someone different. Marchand seems to have a good reputation, but I haven't had any experience with him.

Dr. Su and his group have a great reputation. I referred a friend's daughter to him for hip work.

She had a serious issue since twelve years old from a bad surgery at the time. Her hip was fused to her leg at the time to just have her walk (by the Shriners), so it was a complex surgery.

When I referred her to him she was twenty eight, so the surgery and recovery were complex and needed skill. Everything went great, she is now doing well after two years.

I mention this to give you an idea of the skill and care someone I know received. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but it was great to see her walk without problems.

I think his practice deals with athletes, so you can easily bring up concerns and issues that most people may not face.

Dr Gross seems also to be very good, other people have had direct experiences with him.

Anyways - I've had two for almost ten years now (my first in August 2010, second in November 2010). Have done very well with them; I think you stand a good chance of doing the same with two.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Philbrd

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
hi Pete,
I am from NH and had both hips done with Dr. Gross.   Feel free to contact me directly if you want to chat about the travel.  I flew on American Airlines from Manchester - direct flight to Charlotte. 
It was a difficult trip but they really know what they are doing.  I was wheeled from curb right to gate.  No problem.
Dan

Recent Posts

Re: FDA approved device and experienced hip resurfacing doctor by stevel
Today at 12:16:34 PM

Re: Dr. Domb hip resurfacing (Chicago) by gabesuto
December 04, 2021, 10:40:08 AM

Re: Dr. Domb hip resurfacing (Chicago) by AG
December 03, 2021, 05:46:48 PM

AVN and Healing Dr Gross L Hip by drmiabxh
December 03, 2021, 02:48:19 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal