+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 19 YearAnniversary Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross  (Read 1068 times)

dmharris

19 YearAnniversary Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Every year on 9/11 I get nostalgic. Not just because of the tragedy in 2001, but because I woke up that morning, at 40 years old, the day after my hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross, and watched the planes run into the towers on the news.

It's been 19 years and I've had virtually no problems with my cemented Corin device or the uncemented device I got from Dr. Gross on the other hip about 10 years later. I squatted 215 pounds this morning for 8 reps.

Back then there was a SurfaceHippy group on Yahoo sharing information. Dr. Gross's office gave me a fruit basket and tickets to the zoo when I got in town. There were still getting used to out of town patients. I hobbled around the zoo for a while in appreciation for their efforts but had to give up due to the pain. The head nurse gave us tickets to the college football game after the operation, which got cancelled due to 9/11. I realized later it would have been very difficult to attend a college football game 5 days after the operation. I had to check in to a hotel and stay around town until the stitches came out back then,about 10 days. We couldn't fly out anyway due to 9/11.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:18:46 AM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 19 YearAnniversary Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
Congratulations of your 19 year anniversary. Dr. Gross is the best! Thank You so much for sharing your story. 19 years is a real milestone. People, for some reason, don't think hip resurfacing can last. You are proof it can and does. Mine will be 14 years in a few months.
Thanks again for sharing. I appreciate it and I know many people will read your post.  I will share it on the main website also.
I wish you the very best and many, many more anniversaries!
Pat
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:19:04 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dannythebeerman

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 12:32:07 AM »
Thanks for posting.  Wow 19 years!  As far as sightseeing with a bad hip, I was happy to park at Lake Murray.  Interesting they use to give tickets. Handicap parking?
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

packman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »
Outstanding track record - well done
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
That's such great news!  I was 44 for my first, and 53 for my second (six months ago)!  I am hoping that I will take these resurfacings to the grave in another 30-40-ish years.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM