+-

Author Topic: sitting to standing  (Read 162 times)

RockyA

sitting to standing
« on: May 25, 2020, 07:55:51 PM »
I am 11 weeks post op tomorrow, 5/26.  I am progressing nicely both walking and riding bike daily as well as some fairly aggressive PT twice a week.  I do however experience a fair amount of pain when I stand after having been sitting or even laying down for a period of time.  It seems to take me about 15 or 20 steps to "walk off" the pain and not limp after I stand.  As if I need to stretch the tendons each time I stand to reassume a pain free walking posture. I am curious if this is normal and what others experience may have been?

catfriend

Re: sitting to standing
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »
Normal. The longer you sit, the more you'll feel it. For example, about 3 1/2 months after my surgery I took a road trip of around 900 miles each direction. After several hours behind the wheel (sitting) it was painful to get up. On the way back I did it all in one day and paid a brutal price. Granted, that's pretty extreme, but even sitting at your desk or wherever for a bit will bring it on, as you've discovered. This is something that will gradually diminish over time, but it takes a good long while. I can't remember how long that pain and limp took to disappear completely, but it will.

RockyA

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:31:22 AM »
Thanks, sometimes it feels like I have stalled out so it's good to hear from those farther down this road.

rday12

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »
I am 4 months post op. I have had no recovery issues at all, and am walking long distances most days. But, I still have a lot of stiffness in the hip joint after sitting for even a short period of time. It works itís way out after 5 -10 steps. My understanding is that this is completely normal.

jimbone

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »
Does your PT  have you standing on one leg for balance and strength?  If not, I would ask about it and plan to progress toward balancing on one leg on the Bosu ball, moving up to squats on the bosu ball.  I found this exercise very helpful in reducing and finally eliminating the stiffness and pain from getting up from a sitting position.

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
I am almost 8 months' post op and yes, still, slightly have this sensation so do not worry!

Rn2md

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 12:38:28 AM »
I had a hip resurfacing in March 2019 with Dr Gross.
I had similar issues, but I felt more of a soreness and stiffness than pain, per se.
Like the others, mine went away with walking and stretching, but still felt a little tight at times.
I havenít noticed it for a couple months now.
I think doing the post op exercises and stretching as recommend really helps, and also resting adequately when it feels sore, is probably a recipe for success.

spartacus

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:15:38 PM »
I haven't had my procedure yet (scheduled for June 26th) but I had a very similar experience recovering from hip fracture surgery. That was quite common from as soon as I was allowed full weight bearing (6 weeks out) to at least the 3-month mark, probably more but it did diminish rapidly. Most motions were fine but sitting in certain positions could easily trigger it. Keep in mind that during the procedure several important muscles were likely cut open. It will get better with time and regular exercise of the joint.

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Blurry vision post-op by rday12
June 29, 2020, 10:45:58 PM

Re: Blurry vision post-op by Pat Walter
June 29, 2020, 04:36:07 PM

Blurry vision post-op by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:41:11 PM

Re: 6 days post op how much swelling? by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats