+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing, running and other questions  (Read 1039 times)

Six stars

Resurfacing, running and other questions
« on: October 01, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
HI - firstly thanks for taking time to read the post.

I am 48 and have osteoarthritis in my right hip and after a year of physio although I have managed to get my hip extension to +12 from -9 the hip has continued to deteriorate and my consultant has suggested that HR would be an option. Although apparently I am relatively young (!) my objective is to be able to run at a similar level as before as well as the standard needs of sleep at night, stand still for more than 15 minutes without pain. My father had the same problem and had a hip replacement at 55, but this was too late to avoid him giving up the farm he had spent 35 years building up. Resurfacing is attractive to me as the general opinion is that you can return to high impact activity such as running.

As the more observant will have noticed my username alludes to the 6 major marathon, I've done Chicago and London and have deferred entries for NY and Berlin. (no plan for Boston yet!) I would describe myself as a competent runner at best (1.40 for HM and 3.40 for a full) I've been running "properly" for about 10 years and on average will do 30 - 50 miles a week depending if I'm preparing for a race.  My questions would be similar to others before me I'm sure.

- Have you returned to a similar level of performance before the op?
- What was the recovery time? I've seen here that some doctors recommend 12 months before running again and others suggest 6 months
- How quickly can you drive again?
- On the assumption that at some point the hip will fail again, is it feasible to then have an actual hip replacement?
- The consultant suggested the Birmingham method? Seems to be quite common but does it make a difference?
- Appreciate this would just be an opinion but would people wait for a while (still chuckling at the thought of being too young)
- I now understand that my thigh and groin pains are in fact the hip but has anyone else had calf injuries as another side effect?

Again thanks in advance for your time and thoughts
Mark

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: Resurfacing, running and other questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
I am now almost at 1 year post-op stage and will post my progress next week. I am now almost 64 year old and almost your age (when 47) I was running Half Marathons in 1.15 to 1.19 depending upon the course and conditions, my Marathons were usually sub 3 at around 2.54 ish or slower! In my mid to late 50s I was experiencing pain in my right hip and I was diagnosed with severe bone on bone OA. I kept on running and racing and was still able to achieve sub 1.45 Half Marathons and my final Marathon was 3.20 or thereabouts. I was training up to 60 miles per week right up to the day before my resurfacing. I will keep this short, check my postings regarding my recovery regime, I am now back to running up to 55 miles per week however, it is the rest of my body that prevents me from doing too much. I have not raced this year due to Covid but I have completed the Half Marathon distance twice in training in under 2 hours.
I am really combating age so therefore cannot give you an account based on just recovering from the resurfacing. One of my best decisions was to have this done and in Scotland it was free on the National Health System Bless Them! I have my annual hospital checkup next month and I will be reporting this on the site! I wish you all the best of luck as I know how serious runners feel regarding returning to their passion!

Six stars

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »
Thanks for this and I have seen your other posts so am looking forward to the next one.
I now have approval and a date (24/11) so am officially very nervous and scared.
Out of interest do you feel that a marathon distance is too soon for you now or are you sticking to a half for another non hip related reason? Frankly right now I'd be happy with a park run right now.
My physio is going to give me some specific exercises pre-op but is there anything you would recommend?

tohandley

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm 55 and had my right hip done in January of 2020.  This was the second time for that same hip.  I originally had it done in October 2018.  After the first time I was not able to run more than a mile without any pain.  However, after the revision I have returned to running and triathlon training.   So far I've kept my runs mostly under 10k but I'm presently coming in around 8:10 min per mile using the walk run method listed on Dr Su's return to running program.  I'm up to 8 min run 1 minute walk.  I've also gotten my mile time down to below 7 which is as fast as I have gone in the last 4 years and that time is after doing a complete hip rehab workout so I am happy with the results so far.

This hip rehab routine I found online has been very helpful for me.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XaI-ZIVSM 

I continue do it once each week and have added sprints and a few other exercises.

Wishing you the best of luck!  If you have questions, this site is a such a great source of help!   

I'm also happy to answer anything that I can help you with.

Tim 
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »
Hey Mark.  I had my first hip resurfaced in 2012, and now my second to be done in two days (October 28, 2020),

I'll share what had been my exeperience

Q: Have you returned to a similar level of performance before the op?
A: The answer is basically yes.  My surgeon has you be very restricted for six months (walking ONLY).  After that he says no restrictions.  When I got back to playing tennis, I was noticeably less quick.  I'd say it took 6 months of activity to get back to full-speed, but - in general - I did get back to 100%). 

Q: What was the recovery time? I've seen here that some doctors recommend 12 months before running again and others suggest 6 months
A: This will be doctor-dependent.  Dr. Gross says not restrictions after 6 months, unless you have low bone density.

Q: How quickly can you drive again?
A: Dr. Gross says as soon as you can do it comfortably and are not on narcotic pain medication.  I was done with pain meds (except Advil) at 7 days post op.

Q: On the assumption that at some point the hip will fail again, is it feasible to then have an actual hip replacement?
A: Yes.  In fact, it's even better because you have all your bone intact.  It's just like getting a THR (total hip replacement) for the first time.  If you get a THR the first time, then they need to dig the post out of the femur and take away more bone.

Q: The consultant suggested the Birmingham method? Seems to be quite common but does it make a difference?
A: That is - from what I understand - the generic term for resufacing.  But, the BHR is also (I think) the name of the device?  Not sure entirely.  The BHR is cemented, where Dr. Gross does uncemented (bone ingrowth).  I highly recommend you go to his site to learn about it (www.grossortho.com)

Q: Appreciate this would just be an opinion but would people wait for a while (still chuckling at the thought of being too young)
A: I was 45 when I had my first done.  I wasn't in pain when I didn't exercise, but would battle 10-14 days of terrible pain when I did.  I figured that if the resurfacing ever fails (I don't think it ever will), and IF I had to get a revision at, let's say age 65, I'd rather settle for being more sedentary at age 65 than at age 45.  Best.....decision.....ever.

Q: I now understand that my thigh and groin pains are in fact the hip but has anyone else had calf injuries as another side effect?
A: I have not, but gait problems seem to screw everything up.  If you're like most, your foot sort-of points outward, and that might do it.  A good PT could answer this.

Best of luck.  Check out Dr. Gross.  He's the best.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 02:27:12 AM