Author Topic: left hip in 8 days | second attempt  (Read 260 times)

johnny_canuck

left hip in 8 days | second attempt
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:10:23 PM »
So, as documented in another thread (https://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=6552.0), last summer, about this time I was supposed to have my left hip resurfaced, after having had the right hip done in 2018. But, squeak -> high ions -> waiting a year. Details in the other thread.

Waiting over. Despite COVID-19 restrictions, and since hopsitals here have restarted elective procedures, I'm going to bite the bullet, and get the left hip resurfaced after a 2 year wait. Its either that or find a more regular supply of pain meds. ;-) All I have remaining as part of the pre-op is a COVID-19 test next week (to rule out me being an asymptomatic carrier, or some such).  Standard BHR --  was hoping the highly-crosslinked poly stuff would have been in general use, but no such luck.

At any rate, at least this time I've got a good idea about what to expect, and what works. Only nuisance is that with COVID restrictions, there are no local pools likely to be open in the near (or far) future for pool therapy, which I found really helpful last time. 

jimbone

Re: left hip in 8 days | second attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:37:40 PM »
Good luck John.  I had mine both done during the summer months and found the good weather helpful being able to get our and walk as much as possible.  Not sure of your location but I am expecting the LA Fitness health club chain will be re opened by early June- at least I'm hoping so- I miss my swims and workouts- and you really won't be able to submerge it before mid July so good chance you'll be able to find a pool by then.  Again- best of luck.

johnny_canuck

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »
Sure -- having had my right hip done in 2018, during the summer, I know the merits. This particular summer those, has a rather interesting nuance that other summers haven't. Said nuance being 'pandemic' in proportions.

MaryEllen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:40:17 PM »
So did surgery go as planned and youíre on the other side? I sure am hoping for the best and look forward to your report!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11 revised 11/14 (BHR) Dr. Gross
RBHR 12/12/12 (Awaiting revision)

johnny_canuck

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »
Yes, I did. This past Wednesday. Been a little over 72 hours since then, and here is what I can tell you so far.

1\ for some reasons (anatomy, mainly) this hip (left) so far has been waaaaaay easier than the other (right) hip, which I had done in 2018. I'm basically already walking half a mile, no pain. So little pain, no pain meds after yesterday. At all. I have some incision area stiffness, and can feel the BHR device a bit in the groin,  but otherwise, hard to even tell I had major surgery (and since this is my second hip, and 11th othopedic procedure overall, I know what major surgery feels like).

2\ I can already raise my leg to 90 degrees, no pain. Lateral raises I can feel, but given the degree of release in the glutes during the procedure, no surprise there.

So, other than anatomy (my hardware for this hip with 2 mm bigger than right hip in 2018), what was different, that may be making it a lot better? I think the big thing was the anesthesia protocol was different. This time, they used a spinal block. I had a long chat before and after with the anesthetist, and one of the things they're discovering is that spinal blocks tend to do better at 'relaxing' everything in the pelvic girdle (why do you think they're popular for women giving birth? Same reason...), which may add enough flexibility to your knocked-out self to make the mechanically pulling, twisting and banding you go through less traumatic.  In 2018, those first few walks felt like I'd been hit with a bat. This time around, literally, no problem. I have to remind myself I've had the surgery, and not simply go directly to the cane.

So, one thing for folks considering the procedure (or scheduled for same) is to ask what kind of anesthetic they're going to use.

And, as per earlier thread, I'll be doing regular metal ion tests. I now have both hips with MoM, so this will be a regular test I have for the duration.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:45:31 PM by johnny_canuck »

MaryEllen

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
So good to hear!! Iím looking at my 2nd revision (I donít know how to change my signature!) in July with Gross. I had my right revised my him in 2014 and now getting my left. Both are revised to another resurfacing, thank goodness!!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11 revised 11/14 (BHR) Dr. Gross
RBHR 12/12/12 (Awaiting revision)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 12:48:49 PM »
Mary Ellen
You change your signature by: