+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: just a couple things that helped your recovery  (Read 3167 times)

Angel Romero

just a couple things that helped your recovery
« on: October 04, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
Hello all hipster/hippies,

I am looking to have resurfacing done in my left arthritic hip in about 1 month. I am trying to prep for a successful recovery already as I am reading the recovery is half the battle. So I’m looking for advice regarding how to do that. For instance, I know sleep will be an issue for me as I am a light sleeper. Some people on here suggest a recliner for sleeper. Is it worth purchasing one? Also, with the over 90 degree restriction for hip bending, should I look into getting a raised toilet seat extension? I’ve also read muscle relaxants and ice  can help more than pain meds and that the hip and core system elastic band (crossover symmetry) can help immensely with PT.

Bottom line, I’m just looking for a couple of things that helped you the most with a successful recovery. Thanks in advance and I hope to pass your knowledge on to another hippie in the future.

Many Thanks!
Angel

blinky

Re: just a couple things that helped your recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 12:50:35 PM »
Yes to a recliner and raised toilet seat. A big yes to ice. I didn't use muscle relaxants so can't speak to that.

As soon as I scheduled my surgery date, my husband and I made a trip to LaZBoy. Honestly, he had wanted a recliner for years and I always said no, so this was his big chance. It isn't pretty, but I did and do like it.

A few other thoughts:

Put things up higher so you can reach them without bending over. This includes clothing and food. I was able to be more independent after moving things up where I could reach them without help.

Can you get to a pool? For swimming and walking and PT. Covid may make that tougher, but having access to a pool helped me come back.

Milk of magnesia. I didn't have much pain, but I had a lot of constipation.

Best of luck.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
You are getting ready. I like a recliner. Most people do. But you can just put a pile of pillows under your knees on the bed or couch. You just need to get you leg up - toes above the nose , Dr. De Smet saying. I lived in my recliner for 2 months after my heart surgery. More comfortable than a bed, unless you have an adjustable bed. Many people don't have a lot of problems or pain,just depends on your body. But everyone needs to take it slow in the beginning. Some get around easily, while others have problems. You just can't tell. If you in the middle, you will most likely take your pain pills for awhile, sleep in the recliner or with pillows under your knees and most people ice. I didn't have to, but we are all different. It is good your realize that it might be slow. Toliet seat riser is helpful. Other than that, you really don't need a bunch of stuff. some people have sock putter oners. If you have someone to help, don't worry. Or just wear flip flops or slippers. The will teach you to do steps, so you will know that. It will be helpful if you don't have to go up and down flights of steps very often.  I wish you the best. Sounds like you are mentally ready.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 06:53:29 AM »
After three hip surgeries, here's what helped me: raised toilet seat, zero gravity chair, big floppy ice packs that I could store in the freezer between uses, laxatives, forearm crutches (after I got off my walker), trekking poles for when I could walk independently. A hospital nurse taught me to avoid constipation by drinking 8 oz of heated prune juice first thing in the morning. That was a life changer!
I also agree with the pool recommendation, if possible, when your doc gives the go ahead to submerge the incision (won't be for quite awhile).

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 08:07:18 AM »
A car with automatic transmission unlike mine!
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:43 AM »
I agree with those that suggest a recliner chair; that would be my number one suggestion. Also, a reacher/grabber can be helpful.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:15:54 AM by bluedevilsadvocate »
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Jess

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
One little thing I found very helpful, especially in the first week post-op, was underwear/shorts/pants that have snaps on both sides so you can get dressed standing up, without having to bend, shift weight or lift your foot off the ground :-)

jimbone

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 11:07:15 AM »
Angel,
You can check on line for a hip surgery recovery package that has most of the paraphernalia you might need early on: grabbbers, a sock tool for getting dressed, a butt scrubber [yup] a strap for helping to move your leg in and out of bed.  Amazon sells a selection of them and they're cost effective <$50.  I didn't have a recliner on the first hip but did for the second and it was very helpful.  Found a great score on Craig's list for a new powered leather one the guy let go of for $200.  Did a lot of very comfortable sleeping in that and it helped to sort out the inability most people have sleeping on their sides.  A wedge pillow went well with it for additional elevation of the legs and comfort.  The toilet seat riser is a general must.  There will be swelling ad ice is what will be needed.  A lot of Dr. Gross's patients use an ice machine and stand by them.  Most use freezing cold packs.  I found hot/cold packs that used clay inside and it conformed well to body contour.  Another trick is to put a wet hand towel in a plastic bag and freeze it.  It too will conform well and all you need to do is throw it back in the freezer to reuse.  If you're not accustomed to using crutches you might want to find a pair and practice a bit before hand just to be familiar.  As someone mentioned trekking poles after a few weeks will challenge your glutes and rotators more and speed up healing.  I used a cane after the 1st week of one crutching it and was on that for about another 4-5 weeks each surgery.  Consider how you will be able to lower and raise yourself from the toilet.  There is a vanity and window sill in mine that gave me lifting power with my arms that I needed.  One of the things I did was to keep a daily journal of the recovery with a ton of detail on exercise, ROM, pain diminishment, walking distance, mental/emotional state, periods of sleep and medications.  I found it helpful to stay aware of the progress each day seemed to bring even when those steps are incremental.  If you think you will need/receive PT, you might consider interviewing some therapists now.  And swimming.  I use fins which seemed to give me a better leg/glute workout with less flutter and more controlled movement.  It's a big deal this surgery but you'll see how much better your life is going to be very soon.  Best of luck.

Ergo

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
Hi Angel. I had mine done by Dr Gross in February, and I'll second the "ice machine" he recommends. It's actually more of a cooler with a pump inside that circulates ice water through a pad you wrap around your body. It will stay icy cold for a long time and doesn't have to be swapped out like a typical ice pack. We drove eight hours the day after surgery and bought a power inverter so I could use it on the road, which was GREAT.

similar to Dr Gross' model: reg.com/products/cold-therapy/devices/kodiak-cold-therapy/
power inverter to use in car: amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDXS0U

When I was finally able to sleep on my (non-surgical) side several weeks in, I used this pillow for months to keep my knees apart, as allowing the thigh to cross over the midline was both painful and contraindicated. It has a strap to keep it attached to one leg and was a big help.

amazon.com/gp/product/B07RB7NRQX/

Best of luck and do update us on your progress!

dannythebeerman

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 12:35:44 PM »
I'll add Shower chair, in the days presurgery you are suppose to scrub your body multiple times with hebiclens to help avoid post operative infections, after that you probably wont shower for a week or 10 days as your bandage that's not suppose to get wet. and oversized slip on shoes.

As far as sleeping, I got off the oxycodone too soon so I could drive home, but I slept better once home taking 10mg before bedtime for the first 2 to almost 3 weeks. so I didn't have to sleep in a recliner, though I did for a hernia surgery.

I was able to borrow all of the equipment from friends and family.  I used a Breg pad with an Iceman chill unit switching a connector from an Iceman pad.  Iceman rates their appliance at 9.3v 900mA but it will run on 12v, the plug size is 5.5 x 2.1mm.  I had a 8 hour ride home and as mentioned above a power inverter is a good idea, make sure you have backups, I fried a smaller inverter. and ended up using this breast pump car adapter, but certainly a good inverter and having a backup transformer is more versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Lighter-Advanced-Approved-Replaces/dp/B01M9EMKPZ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=9v+car+adapter&qid=1602173079&sr=8-1
Practice using the equipment presurgery
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

Angel Romero

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:44 PM »
Wow thank you all. This is a great website! I actually just ordered a zero gravity recliner, pillow wedge, toilet riser, and hip kit (sock thing, grabber, shower scrubber with handle). I’m also thinking about one of the kodiak ice machines. Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks everyone and I will keep you posted on recovery after my operation.

Angel
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:27:29 PM by Angel Romero »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
Angel
Sounds like you are on your way to getting back to an active, pain free life. The members here are so great - helpful and supportive.
I look forward to hearing about your surgery and recovery. When you are back to normal hips, maybe you will visit now and then and answer questions for other folks wondering about hip resurfacing.
I wish you the very best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

catfriend

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
In addition to the great suggestions above, one thing that helped me early in my recovery was having nutritious snacks available. I'm also a light sleeper, plus I would wake up to take pain pills. Surgery really takes some energy out of you. Having a small snack, such as a handful of nuts, or a single serving of applesauce, or dried fruit, etc., was really helpful for me regarding energy and appetite. Keep a bottle of water with you, too, even in bed (or next to the bed). I also suggest going through your house and looking where the things you use most often are located. You're not going to be able to reach down into that bottom drawer or cupboard for whatever, so you might want to move your frequently used items, whatever they may be, to a counter or table or someplace you can easily reach them. That won't help you heal, but it will make your recovery life easier.

Mouse Potato

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 09:24:57 AM »
Essentials for me:
Raised toilet seat, Mechanical grabber, loose slip on shoes, marvellous Spouse!

I didn't bother much with pain meds aside from the aspirin to thin the blood.

And just to add... it was a life changing operation for me.  When I look back, I don't know how I managed so long with the pain and lack of mobility.

Russ

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
Hey Angel.  I'm not sure if you've had your surgery yet or not.  I had my 2nd hip 12 days ago, and am currently enjoying the Kodiak-style ice machine.  I got it for my first surgery, and am gladly using it again.  It is absolutely awesome.....I highly recommend it.

All the other suggestions are spot-on, particularly the slip-on shoes in the last post.  It's going to be a while before you can get down and actually tie your shoes.

Best of luck to you.  Post about your outcome!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Angel Romero

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »
Hello all. Just had resurfacing surgery on Thursday. Doing ok. Some stiffness and pain around incision site and front of thigh but minimal bruising and pain only really kicks in at night but narcotics work to lessen the pain. It feels best when walking with crutches.

Funny thing I tried recliner when I came home from the hospital but it wound up putting too much pressure on the hip joint due to my legs sloping toward the floor. Think I’ll hold off on that for now. The only thing I think is necessary at this point are ice packs and raised toilet seat but this is likely to change as I start entering civilization again and can’t keep wearing pajamas. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Angel

jimbone

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 11:18:41 AM »
Congratulations Angel.  You sound positive and in good spirits- that's great.  Lot's of good recovery advice here, most of which boils down to common sense and taking it at your own pace.  Just keep in mind this forum is a great place to find perspective and support from others experience.  You're going to love the pain free hip.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 08:42:53 AM »
Nearly two weeks post op for me. Still a bit swollen and sore in the thigh, both front and back.

I don’t know if you can get this in US, but I have been using Deep Heat cream, which makes things a whole lot better for me. You apply it 3 times per day, and it warms the area. They also do it in a spray, but I have found the cream better. Need to rub it in vigorously where the soreness is.

I’m guessing Ralgex and Radian B are much the same.

I don’t really need to use my crutches at all around the home, but will continue to use outside.

Hope this helps.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM