+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR recovery goal complete..... Ran Boston Marathon  (Read 1309 times)

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
BHR recovery goal complete..... Ran Boston Marathon
« on: November 07, 2020, 02:39:28 AM »
It was my recovery goal dream,  to run in the Boston Marathon. It took me over two years of hard training, every day to get to a fitness level required to make the qualifying time. I don’t think there is anything in my life that I have worked  so hard for.  I did make the qualifying time at the Newport Marathon and then again improving my time at the Mt Hood Marathon last summer and thus  gained acceptance into the 2020 Boston Marathon.
I am an avid distance runner, I love the sport,  it’s a big part of my life and is who I am. Perhaps the worst day of my life came when my GP diagnosed me with arthritis and I  was told that I would probably soon need a hip replacement, and with such, I was told, you probably should not run anymore. These were the dark, times in my life and quite a contrast to receiving a letter from Boston Athletic Association certifying that I was accepted into the 2020 marathon. This was the happiest times of my life.

Although the 2020 marathon was delayed and then ultimately turned virtual, I did run it! with my brother Gary in Seattle instead of Boston. After certifying my time, the BAA mailed me my 2020 Race medal. At my last check up I presented Dr Pritchett with my 2017 Medal  (as a proxy as my 2020 medal)  as it had not arrived in the mail yet. I'll swap it next time I go up there.

I have run in the Boston Marathon 4 times, but this time was the most meaningful, as it was a celebration that i can still run! 

Steve Mahoney , distance runner 

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: BHR recovery goal complete..... Ran Boston Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »
Love it! Well done! Born to run is what I believe (unless it is a fight lol). Hip Resurfacing is a life-changing operation not offered to those who need it in my opinion. I am 64 years old and running 60 miles per week with my Adept prosthesis (13 months post op).

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
That's fantastic!  What an awesome accomplishment!  I've never been much of a distance runner, but enjoyed a 3-4 mile run 2-3x per week.  Running is the one thing I've struggled with after resurfacing.  I develop a deep ache around the 1-mile point, though I've had some success after doing a lot of HIIT training. 

Your story is very inispiring!  Keep it up.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »
That's fantastic. So happy you were able to do it, even in Seattle. Congratulations. Great accomplishment.You give everyone hope that they can accomplish their dreams.
Thank You for sharing your news with us. We love to read those stories.
I wish you the very best and many more marathon wins.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Six stars

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
Hi Steve,
Well done - that is great!

Also exactly the kind of comment I need to hear as I'm due to have my right hip done on the 28th and whilst my OA is not at a level that most of the people I see here before their op, my objective is to get back to marathon running, not least as I have deferred my place in NY to 2022!

Is there anything specific that you would say helped you in the recovery?

Well done again!
Mark

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 02:21:18 AM »
a lot of hard work!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone