+-

Author Topic: Left Hip Surgery scheduled for 2/10/21 with Dr. Marchand  (Read 5083 times)

PistolPete

Left Hip Surgery scheduled for 2/10/21 with Dr. Marchand
« on: November 17, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
I had my Right hip resurfaced 9 years ago almost to the day and now it's time to do my left.  I had my appointment yesterday and surgery is scheduled for 2/10/21.  Nervous about going thru the entire process again for obvious reasons but will be glad to get my range of motion back.  I "may" not be eligible for a BHR depending on the size of my Right hip implant.  They are reaching out to my previous surgeon (he's no longer doing surgery) to get the surgery notes from my previous surgery.  They said if it is smaller than a 68mm they will NOT be able to do another BHR and I will need a traditional replacement.  Def. worried about that.  Apparently, the smaller implants are the ones that have been failing.  I also need to do a metal ion test but fingers crossed I can get another BHR so I don't have any restrictions in the near future.

catfriend

Re: Left Hip Surgery scheduled for 2/10/21 with Dr. Marchand
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
If your need for a small implant makes you ineligible for a BHR, but you still want a resurfacing, then I suggest consulting with a surgeon who uses a device that will fit you. Two surgeons that spring right to mind are Dr. Pritchett in Seattle and Dr. Gross in SC. Dr. Pritchett performed my surgery with the synovo preserve device. Dr. Gross uses the biomet device. Both of these surgeons perform resurfacings on smaller boned men as well as women.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »
I'm having my left hip resurfaced on 27th November, 11 years since I had my right one done.

I only had an X-ray carried out, and that was enough for the surgeon to tell me that it was done. He also said that that my DePuy implant still looks good as well!!!

Whilst I'm getting a little nervous again, at least I know what to expect post op this time.

I'm having a Birmingham this time.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »
I am sorry to hear your other hip is bothering you. If you are too small for a BHR, check out the other surgeons that use other devices. Dr. Gross and Dr. Pritchett are two every experienced surgeons who still do women and small men with devices other than the BHR.  I would send some emails off with a copy of your x-ray in a digital format. Find out what they think. Of course, the overseas surgeons are still doing women and small men with other devices.  If you want another hip resurfacing, take some time to find an experienced surgeons still doing them. You will probably have to travel to have it done.
I wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »
He's not concerned I would need a smaller implant for the left hip he's concerned the right one might be smaller.  I have no idea why he wouldn't do the left one if the right one is smaller?  I'm def. willing to travel to get what I know will be a better option long term.  Right now I can only wait to see what size my first hip is.

Any idea why the size of my right hip replacement would impact if they can do resurfacing on the left?????  I found Dr. Michaund on this site but will def. make the trip elsewhere if need be.  Thank you for the help.

I am sorry to hear your other hip is bothering you. If you are too small for a BHR, check out the other surgeons that use other devices. Dr. Gross and Dr. Pritchett are two every experienced surgeons who still do women and small men with devices other than the BHR.  I would send some emails off with a copy of your x-ray in a digital format. Find out what they think. Of course, the overseas surgeons are still doing women and small men with other devices.  If you want another hip resurfacing, take some time to find an experienced surgeons still doing them. You will probably have to travel to have it done.
I wish you the best.
Pat

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 07:29:49 PM »
I can only comment that Dr. Gross routinely takes on "difficult" cases - like small women - because he is confident in his ability to have a positive outcome.  He will consult for free over the phone if you send an X-ray, so you have nothing to lose. There are THOUSANDS of happy customers that will attest to his skill.  I'm 8 1/2 years out on my right hip, and 20 days out on my left, and if I had a third hip......I'd have him do it.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

PistolPete

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
I will def. reach out of my surgeon won't do it.  I'm not a smaller person by any means either.  I'm actually 5'7" and 215lbs and all muscle.  I've been weight training forever.  Thanks for the support here.  I will def. exhaust all my options before I go with a traditional hip replacement.  I don't even know if there will be any issues as I have no idea what size my original implant is.  I'm just trying to be prepared if there is an issue.  I'm obviously to travel if I need to.

He's not concerned I would need a smaller implant for the left hip he's concerned the right one might be smaller.  I have no idea why he wouldn't do the left one if the right one is smaller?  I'm def. willing to travel to get what I know will be a better option long term.  Right now I can only wait to see what size my first hip is.

Any idea why the size of my right hip replacement would impact if they can do resurfacing on the left?????  I found Dr. Michaund on this site but will def. make the trip elsewhere if need be.  Thank you for the help.

I wish you the best.
Pat

stevel

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 11:57:58 AM »
I believe the femoral size restriction is less than 48 mm rather than 68 mm for the BHR implant in the US.  You should be OK as it seems you are large boned, mesomorph male since you are a solid 215 lbs for 5 ft 7 inches tall.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

PistolPete

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:54 PM »
I'm just under 4 weeks out from my surgery and getting really nervous.  Mobility is becoming harder and harder but I'm concerned about going thru the recovery process again.   I can't recall how long I was walking on crutches and then a cane.  I want to do things differently this time around.  I want to get back in shape way sooner than I did last time.  Any tips for this?

catfriend

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 03:25:29 PM »
I sooo understand. I will be having my left hip resurfaced, and it's one of those things I've both elated about and dreading simultaneously. I wrote down a lot of my recovery experience at the time of my previous resurfacing, and it's nice to look at that now for a reference (https://hipresurfacingwomandotcom.wordpress.com/ if you're interested). I wish I had written down more specific walking info. I can't remember exactly how many days it was before I was walking up and down the street, or exactly when I started walking in parks, etc. I remember being very antsy towards the end of my 45 days of 90 degree restrictions.

Everybody wants to bounce back immediately. That's unrealistic. Your mind and body may have very different ideas about how long it will take you to get back to where you want to be, and in the end your body will win. Listen to it. The good news is you know that you WILL get back in shape.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »
Hey PistolPete.  You and I had our first hips done at almost the same time (I remember your handle from back then).  I just had my other hip done on 10/28/2020.  I TOTALLY understand your anxiety as it approaches.  The mandatory downtime for recovery really had me "regretting" having it scheduled.  It's really easy to justify the pain level, dismissing it as "not so bad" because we don't want to be out of the exercise game for so long.

I will say this.  Even though I'm almost 9 years older this time, my recovery was 2x faster.  I believe this is because my legs and lower body were in WAY better shape due to the boot camp workouts I was doing 5x per week.  Before my first one I ran 3-4x per week (until I couldn't), but otherwise skipped "leg day".  With the boot camp workout, it is probably at least 50% legs.  I was able to lift my leg into bed without assistance by day 7 this time, among other things.

I'm at almost 3 months, and time is going by quickly.  I joined the local gym, and I can do the elliptical, the stationary bike, and do all the upper body machines.  So after the first, say, 4 weeks (or whatever your surgeon says you're allowed to do) you can get back to a fair amount of exercise and still stay within the prescribed limits. 

In other words, I felt exactly the same way as you, and don't regret it now that I'm 3 months out.  Just think about how much more awesome your summer will be with a new, recovered hip!

Best of luck!
Andy

BOILER UP!

PistolPete

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 09:11:27 PM »
Wow, this is very encouraging.  Thank you for the follow up I greatly appreciate it.  The past month or so has been really challenging with regards to mobility etc.  Definitely been difficult bending over and I think it's messing with my other hip because I'm favoring how I walk.  I haven't done legs in a while aside from calves and leg extensions etc.

Hey PistolPete.  You and I had our first hips done at almost the same time (I remember your handle from back then).  I just had my other hip done on 10/28/2020.  I TOTALLY understand your anxiety as it approaches.  The mandatory downtime for recovery really had me "regretting" having it scheduled.  It's really easy to justify the pain level, dismissing it as "not so bad" because we don't want to be out of the exercise game for so long.

I will say this.  Even though I'm almost 9 years older this time, my recovery was 2x faster.  I believe this is because my legs and lower body were in WAY better shape due to the boot camp workouts I was doing 5x per week.  Before my first one I ran 3-4x per week (until I couldn't), but otherwise skipped "leg day".  With the boot camp workout, it is probably at least 50% legs.  I was able to lift my leg into bed without assistance by day 7 this time, among other things.

I'm at almost 3 months, and time is going by quickly.  I joined the local gym, and I can do the elliptical, the stationary bike, and do all the upper body machines.  So after the first, say, 4 weeks (or whatever your surgeon says you're allowed to do) you can get back to a fair amount of exercise and still stay within the prescribed limits. 

In other words, I felt exactly the same way as you, and don't regret it now that I'm 3 months out.  Just think about how much more awesome your summer will be with a new, recovered hip!

Best of luck!

PistolPete

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »
I'm 2 weeks out from surgery and super anxious.  Not looking forward to it nor the recovery but I know it is best for me to get it done.  I met with Dr. Marchand last week and everything looks good.  He was concerned because I previously had high Cobalt levels but my reading came back at just 0.9 so that is great.  He said surgery only takes about an hour which is crazy.  Thought it would be much longer.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »
Deep breath.  As I said before, I felt EXACTLY the same.

I'm at 3 months now and doing spinning classes, lifting (on machines), hiking 4 miles easily, and otherwise back to normal.  Range of motion is still an issue, but I CAN put on my own socks and tie my shoes.  So, other than high-impact stuff, I'm pretty much back to normal.  Including a normal gait (no limp).  And no pain.

Stay the course.  I don't know about you, but at age 53 a year will go by and I barely notice it.  You'll be back to kite surfing, skinny skiing, or going to bullfights on acid before you know it. (Please tell me you get the reference.....)   :-)
Andy

BOILER UP!

moe

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 03:15:53 PM »
I had both hips done by Dr Marchand almost 12 years ago, when I was 56, same day! Nothing but positive results and I am suoer active, weights, road and mountain bike, kayak. I think you will be fine, don't rush the healing and recovery. Good luck. moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

PistolPete

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 06:34:56 PM »
I had both hips done by Dr Marchand almost 12 years ago, when I was 56, same day! Nothing but positive results and I am suoer active, weights, road and mountain bike, kayak. I think you will be fine, don't rush the healing and recovery. Good luck. moe

Oh wow, this is very encouraging.  Excited to be done and recovered.  Just really nervous about going thru the process all over again.  Have you had any issues since having them done?

PistolPete

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 06:37:46 PM »
I'm hoping to be on the same path.  I'm 44 and I workout every day.  I'm in good shape and I'm super strong so I think that will def. help.  3 months and you're already doing all that?  That's very encouraging.  Hopefully the range of motion will return. 

Deep breath.  As I said before, I felt EXACTLY the same.

I'm at 3 months now and doing spinning classes, lifting (on machines), hiking 4 miles easily, and otherwise back to normal.  Range of motion is still an issue, but I CAN put on my own socks and tie my shoes.  So, other than high-impact stuff, I'm pretty much back to normal.  Including a normal gait (no limp).  And no pain.

Stay the course.  I don't know about you, but at age 53 a year will go by and I barely notice it.  You'll be back to kite surfing, skinny skiing, or going to bullfights on acid before you know it. (Please tell me you get the reference.....)   :-)

jimbone

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 09:57:18 AM »
The reference was for the film "The Hospital" circa 1972?  Pistol- your lifelong athletic pursuits will make a world of difference in your recovery- being strong going in is everyone's best option.  As well, people with athletic back rounds have usually already developed coping mechanisms for recuperating from the injuries of their sport and accustomed to the aches and pains of body trauma.  Not everyone is returned to their previous levels of elite performance but the vast majority of HR patients DO report wonderful outcomes and in the hands of a highly experienced HR surgeon and with your athletic past your future looks promising.  Best of luck and keep us informed.

PistolPete

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »
I agree.  When I was training BJJ the majority of the time was after I had my right hip resurfaced.  There were some minor limitations but I was able to still outwork everyone at the gym.  I was doing Muay Thai, heavy lifting, and just living a normal life.  I actually got into the best shape of my life with super low body fat (around 6-8%) and absolutely shredded.  I know it can be done again.  I will be diligent with my recovery and def. think I will be better off than most due to the fact of what you mentioned.  Thank you

The reference was for the film "The Hospital" circa 1972?  Pistol- your lifelong athletic pursuits will make a world of difference in your recovery- being strong going in is everyone's best option.  As well, people with athletic back rounds have usually already developed coping mechanisms for recuperating from the injuries of their sport and accustomed to the aches and pains of body trauma.  Not everyone is returned to their previous levels of elite performance but the vast majority of HR patients DO report wonderful outcomes and in the hands of a highly experienced HR surgeon and with your athletic past your future looks promising.  Best of luck and keep us informed.

moe

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 07:23:23 AM »

Oh wow, this is very encouraging.  Excited to be done and recovered.  Just really nervous about going thru the process all over again.  Have you had any issues since having them done?

No issues other than crashing on ice on my mountain bike and breaking my right femur and having to be rescued. The BHR survived though, that experience was much worse than the surgery. Other than that no problems, only solutions.  :)
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal