+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal ION test  (Read 760 times)

claudia

Metal ION test
« on: November 25, 2020, 04:35:40 PM »
Hi,
I'm having issues with my resurfaced hip that was done about 28 months ago, Dr Gross.  Posted my issue under problems topics.  But I have an additional question regarding the metal ion test.  The script says it must be through a Quest Lab.  The problem is that 1. The quest labs in our area are the only ones doing covid testing and they also happen to be the dirtiest, nastiest labs in the area. 2. I do not want to expose myself to these labs.  They have always had a bad reputation in jacksonville and I am immune compromised so no way am I using them.   I have a Mayo clinic lab right around the corner that is not a public covid testing site.  I am a patient there as well.  From what I have read, the protocol is the same for drawing and processing the metal ion test using whole blood.  WHy must it be through Quest?  I seriously can't risk going there.  ANy feedback would be helpful.
Thanks
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

stevel

Re: Metal ION test
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »
I requested the lab test through my regular doctor when I had my annual physical.  It was evaluated by MedTox Labs in St Paul, Mn.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Angel Romero

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »
There really is nothing special about testing blood for cobalt and chromium they are standard metals to analyze for. Do you have a primary care Dr. you can ask?

Angel
Left hip - Biomet - Dr. Su 11-19-20

claudia

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »
The RX that Dr Gross's office gives says that I MUST go to Quest Diagnostics only.  Not an insurance thing as I can go anywhere.  Just curious if anyone who has had Dr Gross do a resurfacing knows why he wants it from Quest?
Thanks
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

jwall07

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 08:42:23 PM »
Per Dr. Gross’ website: “ If patients use other labs, results may not be comparable.”  The site also says that before joint replacement surgery metal ion testing is done to establish a baseline for later comparison.  So it makes sense that if he used Quest Lab testing to get your baseline levels then using Quest now will give him the most informative data about your current ion levels.
Dr. Gross, 5/2019

dannythebeerman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
Sounds like you have reasonable concern to go elsewhere for your test.  Did you ask Nancy Smith of his staff?
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »
There are Quest labs everywhere.  Maybe it's worth an hour drive to go to a different one?  I'm sure they're not all the same.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat