+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Successful Hip Resurfacing 1 week ago - recovery questions  (Read 3732 times)

DaveO

Successful Hip Resurfacing 1 week ago - recovery questions
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:08:12 AM »
All, it was officially last week that my right hip resurfacing was completed.  I consider myself extremely blessed to be well on my way to recovery.

No narcotics needed within 24 hours, honestly they made me wired and I did not notice a significant difference in pain.  I have been able to manage the pain by taking Tylenol every 4-6 hours as needed.  I do my PT exercises 2x a day with slight discomfort but its getting better each day.  I added a 1/4 mile outside walk to my routine in the AM the past 2 days

The hard part was going back to my work from home desk job on Monday and trying to manage to get up and walk around hourly and the discomfort of sitting in a desk chair.  I was able to move a spare recliner to the office and switch from chair to recliner at points throughout the day as well as icing occasionally.  That seems to make a big difference.

I am a back sleeper so no issues there but did have issues with constant pain and discomfort after first working night (pulling feeling on the hip from laying flat).  I seemed to solve that by sleeping with a pillow under my knees the next few nights.

So here are my questions.  1 week from surgery:

What is the recommended amount of walking per day?  I heard walking is the key to quick and full recovery but also do not want to overdue it.  Anyone have a recommended step count or total walking distance? 

I am down to 1 crutch around the house for the most part -- thoughts on how much to push no crutches 1 week out?

Anyone have good tips for hamstring/groin cramps?  They don't happen often (1-2 times per day) but unpleasant when they do

I have the auto inflate pumps for night time sleeping.  Thoughts on when I can stop using those?

Any other tips for stretching or exercise that will help and not overdue recovery?

I realize that this is a lot but just looking for tips/tricks/validation to help my recovery as I have some pretty lofty activity goals post-recovery (bucket list marathon)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Successful Hip Resurfacing 1 week ago - recovery questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
Congrats, Daveo!  You're doing great!

My surgeon (Dr. Gross in South Carolina) has a specific walking regimen.  In fact, he has phase I exercises (for the first six weeks) and phase II exercises (6 weeks to 6 months).  For week 2, no more than 1/4 mile, and then for each subsequent week add 1/4 mile.  He reccomends that you continue to use a crutch and/or cane on your walks for the first 4 weeks, or longer if needed.  Here is a link to his "forms" page:  http://www.grossortho.com/forms

If you scroll down, you'll find links to the phase I and II word documents.  Keep in mind, Dr. Gross is VERY conservative, but he also has the best long-term results possibly in the world.

I'm six weeks out on my second hip, and I kept the crutches/cane for about 3 weeks.  At about the 2-weeks point I didn't need the cane to putter around the house, but when I went anywhere I took it.  I stopped using the cane altogether at 4 weeks, but everyone is different.

I didn't really get cramps, but I iced basically all day, on and off.  I had one of the polar ice machines, and used in intermittently all day for the first 3-4 weeks.  Perhaps try icing more?  Also, can you work while reclined?  My first hip I didn't go back to work for 6 weeks, and even then it was uncomfortable to sit for more than 1/2 hour.  This hip has recovered MUCH faster, but sitting at 90 degrees was still uncomforable at 3 weeks.  At six weeks now I'm fine.

I did not have the auto-pump at all.  Dr. Gross suggests doing foot pumps (see phase I document), 30x every waking hour.  If you can do that, you probably don't need the pump.  This was for the first two weeks in order to prevent clotting. 

Anyway, go download those documents and you'll know what Dr. Gross recommends.  Other's might reply with different information, as some doctors are a bit more aggressive with PT.  Either way, take it easy and take your time.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Best of luck to you.  This will be a distant memory before you know it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:31:19 AM by imgetinold »
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »
Andy, congratulations on your second hip resurfacing. Been reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rday12

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 10:55:11 PM »
It sounds like you're doing great. Don't feel any need to push your recovery in order to reach your aggressive post-recovery goals. You'll get there, and you'll give yourself the best chance to get there if you stick to whatever routines your surgeon and PT provide. This takes a long time to properly heal, but at the same time, you'll be impressed by how much better things feel as time passes.

Re: walking, don't feel the need to be aggressive. You're just a couple weeks post-surgery. I'm writing this as a patient whose surgeon required no weight bearing on the joint for the first 6 weeks of recovery. So it always seems amusing to me to hear stories that involve walking within a week or so of surgery. I get it that you might be inclined to push things a bit to try to speed up your recovery, but it just isn't necessary. Whatever you've been told to do is the upper limit of what you should be doing. Cramping is often caused by dehydration, and it wouldn't be surprising to be somewhat dehydrated early in your recovery. Try to focus on hydration, and that may help.

Do what the pros tell you to do, and I'm confident that you'll be running that marathon when your body is ready to run it.   

dannythebeerman

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 08:27:05 PM »
+1 on not push oneself in the first couple weeks (if not months) of surgery.  Do enough activity to avoid DVT,  it's amazing how the body heals without pushing, there will be a time to play another day.
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

docseedhouse

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
Hi Everyone

First post here.

I had a RH resurfacing 5 days ago and immediately overdid it by walking - 2 crutches - into town. Bad idea.

I have read the advice here and it makes good sense. I think it is important to move if you can, to elevate, to ice and to expect swelling. My leg is definitely swollen but I find walking helps, but not too much.

My biggest issue is frustration and how not to feel guilty for asking for help. My partner is an ex-nurse and very knowledgeable but asking her for help all the time is doing neither of us any good.

Any suggestions?

Good luck to all. This is not a minor op, that's for sure.

MarvinB

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »
Hi, Fellow Hipsters!

First post for me as well.  Had my right hip resurfaced a week and a half ago on Jan 4 by Dr. Gross and his incredible team at Midlands Orthopaedics and Neurosurgery in Columbia SC.  An AMAZING experience.  Still some pain and problems sleeping like most of you and thought I would seek out some advice from the Hippie Community and share some as well.

Definitely don’t push it.  Your body has been through serious trauma and needs time to heal.  I watched too many videos on YouTube of people walking 4 miles on the third week and pole vaulting after bilateral hip resurfacing and thinking this would be a walk in the park.  You’re awesome Tim Fouts and Kay Glynn, but the rest of us mere 55 year old mortals need to work within our abilities!  :). Everybody is different and YOUR body needs to heal at it’s own pace.

Take your time! Doctor’s orders! Check out Dr. Gross’s recovery protocol at grossortho.com and see how he paces stuff.

Docseedhouse:  don’t fret about asking for help.  From what I’ve read here on SurfaceHippy so far, these folks have the hearts of teachers and want to lend a hand.  Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need to.  Pat runs a great ship!   :)

Any other sleeping tips would be greatly appreciated.  Proud to be in the company of folks like you who are willing to share and help.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:31:33 PM by MarvinB »
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
-LH (scheduled 6/10/24)

dannythebeerman

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
docseed, hopefully the swelling goes down.  I found things got better when I was off the blood thinner eloquis or elevating my feet and knees 2 sofa cushions high overnight, these events happened simultaneously.

Marvin, I found that taking 5mg of oxycodone before bedtime really helped to sleep, and did not give side effects of constipation and nausea.

Go ahead and start a new forum post, ask a question or tell us your story!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:48:37 PM by dannythebeerman »
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

MarvinB

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
Thanks, Danny!  I was considering what to put in a new post, including asking dannythebeerman about his beverage likes/dislikes.  :)

Just off the oxy’s last friday (codone and contin), don't want to get back on them.  I really don’t like pills.  A refreshing Sierra Nevada Celebration the evening before last  netted me my best night of sleep in 3 months!  Not having a beer in the last three weeks made me a cheap date, according to the Mrs.  I don’t condone alcohol use as a painkiller or medicine, but I have to admit, there is something therapeutic about a pint of deliciousness with a good meal.  Great for flushing the kidneys, too!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:47:57 PM by MarvinB »
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
-LH (scheduled 6/10/24)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM