+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Year Anniversary; Dr. Schemitsch Right BHR  (Read 803 times)

rday12

One Year Anniversary; Dr. Schemitsch Right BHR
« on: January 05, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced in January 2020 at University Hospital in London, ON. Here is a link to my story...

https://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=6705.0

I had a follow-up by phone with Dr. Schemitsch this morning. Late in 2020, I had X-rays taken at my local hospital (Chatham, ON) and sent to Dr. Schemitsch. He said that the X-ray looked perfect, which was no surprise given my experience since surgery. After my 12 week restrictive period ended in mid-March 2020, I began to be more aggressive about exercising. I walked several km almost daily, used the elliptical machine at home regularly, and began playing golf as soon as the course opened in mid-May. Walking 18 holes was never a problem, and I played about 4 times per week throughout the season. I continued my PT prescribed exercise routine throughout the golf season. It was great to do all of this pain-free; something I hadn't experienced in years.

Later in the fall, I transitioned from my PT exercise routine to a half hour daily (well, almost daily) yoga routine. I felt that more aggressive stretching was appropriate, and that it would help me in other areas (especially golf, as at age 54, I am fighting the battle against time and declining swing speed). I began to play some weekly pickleball with friends. That was my first real test of aggressive stopping and starting on the hip joint, and it gave me no problems at all. Unfortunately, COVID restrictions here in Ontario kicked in in late December, so pickleball is now on hold. I'll definitely pick it up again when allowed. One thing I have not gotten back to is officiating basketball, which I've done for two decades. Due to COVID, we do not have basketball right now in Ontario. I was planning to get back to it this winter, but it doesn't appear that COVID will allow this to happen. Dr. Schemitsch did advise me today that higher impact activity, like running, "isn't the best thing" for the implant, but that if I really want to do it, it's fine to do. Maybe I'll return to that next fall when it starts back up. I asked him about the expected lifespan of the repaired joint. He said that it can vary quite a bit depending on the person, but that if it gets to the 5-year mark with no issues, then it tends to last a very long time. After viewing the X-ray and talking with me about my experience throughout the year, he didn't see any reason that mine wouldn't reach that point. 

My left hip was also X-rayed, and it shows "moderate arthritis". I've had no issues with it, and Dr. Schemitsch doesn't see any reason we'd have to take action on it anytime soon. I'll continue to see him once a year going forward, and we'll monitor that left hip as well. I was very happy to hear that if/when I do start to have left hip issues, I won't have to go through the referral process to see him. Maybe that's SOP in Ontario, but it's just another reason why I hold him in such high regard. From the time I met him in December 2018, I've been very impressed by his demeanor and skill. I feel lucky to have had him as my surgeon, and won't hesitate to go the BHR route with my left hip (if needed), as opposed to the full replacement route that would require less wait time and travel. 

To summarize year one, it was a tough slog for 6 weeks post-surgery, partly due to the high level of restrictions placed on me by my  surgeon. After week 6, progress was rapid. It was fantastic to be as active as I liked throughout the summer and fall, and to do that pain-free.     
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:58:07 PM by rday12 »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: One Year Anniversary; Dr. Schemitsch Right BHR
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
Congratulations on your one year anniversary. Thank You for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you are well on your way to an active, pain free life - as it should be.
I look forward to updates in the future.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

packman

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »
Great review - Not many Canadian Dr. Schemitsch stories on here but he is very professional and in high demand. Consider yourself fortunate to get in his queue. From My signature, you will see I chose Dr. Gross in Columbus SC for my left hip - that was out of necessity as Dr. Schemitsch's queue was over 18 months and my left hip was in such a debilitating state that I could not walk 100 yards without a bone on bone spur. Dr. Gross gave me an estimate on my right hip at about 4-5 years and he was spot on. As soon as I recognized the symptoms I got into his queue. The out of pocket costs for a Canadian having surgery in the USA are quite prohibitive. My advice, is if you recognize pain in your other hip, see him ASAP and get in the queue with his admin. Amanda.
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »
For what it's worth, Dr. Gross saw that I had moderate deterioration in my right hip when he did my left.  I ended up getting 9 more years out of it.  The downside is that the right one went to hell VERY quickly, where the left gradually got worse.  Congrats on the 1 year!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

dannythebeerman

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
Congratulations!  I didn't see Dr. Schemitsch on the list of hip resurfacing surgeons, maybe the moderators would add his info?
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear