+-

Author Topic: POST-OP HIP/BONE CARE WITH CALCIUM  (Read 308 times)

tommyhip

POST-OP HIP/BONE CARE WITH CALCIUM
« on: January 17, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a standard/customary amount (mg/day) of quality calcium that should be taken post op - maybe even for life.  I have read recommendation of 300 - 1000 mg of high quality calcium -the best usually from iceland algae (no stone based calcium) - per day to keep bones strong. I have been taking about 400mg/day for the last three years but I want to start playing basketball again and perhaps I should increase the dose. Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has re-started full court basketball again. I know that this site has an athletic comment area but most posts are 10 years old or older.  My worry is that basketball may just be too much for the implant. Mine is MOM Biomet cementless with Dr. Gross. The other issue of course is "how much calcium is too much".  Thanks in advance for your comments.

catfriend

Re: POST-OP HIP/BONE CARE WITH CALCIUM
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
I have never heard of this. There is an RDA of 1000-1200mg of calcium per day, depending upon gender and age, but most people can obtain this through diet. Where have you read that people with hip implants require more calcium than the RDA? There have been preliminary studies linking high doses of calcium to heart disease and prostate cancer, so I'd be asking questions if someone told me to take supplements in excess of the RDA.

rday12

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:28:41 AM »
Iíve never heard of this either.

Interesting that youíd like to return to full court basketball. I have officiated basketball for two decades and am a year removed from right hip BHR. I recently had my one year follow up with my surgeon and I asked him about returning to officiating. His reply was that running, or any high impact activity ďis not the best thing for the implant, but if itís life or death for you to run, then you can do itĒ. I didnít know exactly what to make of that, and havenít decided yet whether iíll Return to the court next fall when the game hopefully starts back up. Just thought iíd throw that out as a point of interest.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
I'm not sure there's any evidence that taking more calcium supplements result in greater uptake.  In general, supplements can help, but the majority of the nutrients in our bodies come from our diets.  That said, I take the RDA of calcium every day just in case.  Also, if you're going to take it, get the calcium with vitamin D, which helps the calcium be absorbed.

If you're on the borderline with bone density, ask your surgeon about Fosamax.  It's a prescription drug to help improve bone density.  Dr. Gross recommends it for his patients over 50.  It's a once-a-week pill, and you take it for 6 months.  Dr. Gross said that the odds of a femoral neck fracture go from 1-in-100 to 1-in-1000 for his patients.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

dannythebeerman

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 08:05:01 PM »
I think your supplements could better be determined from blood work done in a physical exam.  As you are a patient of Dr Gross you can always have the lab and examining doctor forward report to his office.  I'm sure the examining physician may have an opinion too.

I drink plenty of milk, about 2 gallons a week.   I was told I lacked calcium and vitamin D, sometimes I'm surprised.
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

tommyhip

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 08:54:39 AM »
Thank you for all the great replies. I searched my notes to find the rec. regarding calcium and I found that Dr. Gross suggests that HRA patients take 1,000 mg of quality calcium (algae based) per day for the rest of your life.  My notes from 2016 state this precisely so it must have been in his "post op " treatment - at least at that time. As to Rday12's post - I did play a season of league volleyball last year - jumping and diving on the floor - with no issues but basketball - as you know - is the ultimate stress and I don't want to jeopardize any implant longevity. - just can't find any substitute for Bball. For now, biking, walking, skiing and volleyball will have to do.  I look at this "HRA post-op" like a reverse odometer on a car. Fresh out of the operation you have some amount - say 10 million steps - and this number counts down until the mechanical unit wears out. Sometimes slowly in the case of an optimally placed implant with little post op stress AND sometimes quicker in the case of less optimal placement and more rigorous use of the implant. ALL mechanical devices - just like our original cartilage protected hips WIIL eventually wear out.  Thanks again.

tommyhip

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
FYI I just lookup Dr. Gross's post op protocol. Its not easy to find but its under the "Bone Health Protocol for Hip Surgery" research area - Wherein he suggests 2,000mg/day of algae based calcium PLUS 1,000mg/day of Vitamin D for 6 months post op. I also remember - but have not found yet- some post op paperwork wherein he suggested that this regime should be followed indefinitely. Weight bearing exercise to promote bone re- growth/strengthening is also recommended.  Hope this helps.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats