+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 31 yr old male unsure of what to do  (Read 3424 times)

NorCalNos

31 yr old male unsure of what to do
« on: January 31, 2021, 06:29:11 PM »
Hey Guys,

I’m a 31 year old male that has been suffering with fai/torn labrum in both hips for 8 years now. I used to be extremely athletic playing high school and college basketball, but I am now In constant debilitating pain in my hips/lower back sidelined from all activity. For years I’ve dealt with this and never pulled the trigger on surgery because through the research I’ve done always felt the arthroscopic repair was inconclusive and did not lead to satisfactory results. Both arthroscopic surgeons I’ve seen over the years seemed like salesman trying to push/rush me into their procedure without digging deeper for a better solution or even a valid explanation. Terrible experience with both of them completely turned me off to surgery. At this point my mental health is suffering greatly, I am no longer happy as I am in constant pain and can no longer enjoy the physical activities I used to. I didn’t realize how important exercise was to mental health until I could no longer partake.

Fast forward to now, I have always followed pro basketball player Isaiah  Thomas’ journey with the same injury and recently viewed his Inspirational story on hip resurfacing. I didn’t know the procedure existed until recently when I viewed his video. I know from following Isiahs experience that he had a failed arthroscopic procedure before moving into resurfacing. It seems to have helped him greatly and his renewed my hope to maybe someday live an active pain free life again.

My question is, does anyone know if you can have move directly into the resurfacing procedure without trying the arthroscopic first?

Sorry for the long winded back story for such a simple question. I’m really grateful I found this forum as it has given me a glimmer of hope. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much if you made it this far.

Bioguy501

Re: 31 yr old male unsure of what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »
Hello... I have had a similar story. Developed hip pain in both hips and finally diagnosed with FAI in both hips. Did the left hip first arthroscopically and had pretty good success. Two years later, had the right hip done with a different doctor due to insurance. Went a couple of years without issues, but then right hip started getting bad at around 6 years. Then the left joined the pain about 2 years later. Started seeing the doctors again to learn what could be done. Local doctors all recommended total hip replacement... but I learned about hip resurfacing. After a year of intense research, given my age (55), I thought HR was better... IF... you get a good, experienced surgeon. I was scheduled to get my right hip done with Dr. Ball (SD area)... and Covid hit the hospital one week before my surgery.

Given your young age, I would not recommend total hip replacement. Even the high cross-linked poly will probably not last 25-30 years... BUT... if a HR surgery is done with the BHR implant (or possibly the Biomet with Dr. Gross in S.C.), then I think it could last 40 years or more.

A key consideration is your size. If you are big or tall, the BHR lasts longer. I could go on and on, but talking is easier than typing.

Give me a call if you want... any time from 1 pm to 9 pm PST...  I am in California. Cell: (951)760-3138. Gary

dannythebeerman

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:11:02 AM »
At 31 you are young but 8 years is a long time for both hips.  If you have had an orthopedic surgeon write up a recommendation for a hip replacement I think for insurance purposes you don't have to try alternative procedures, treatments or therapies.

But, If you still have adequate spacing between your acetabular cup and femoral head I would search for doctors performing a newer treatments.  In the past 2 years BCBS began covering surgery for autologous chondrocyte implants in shoulders and knees, in english those are your own cartilage cells that are cultured and stitched in to repair.  https://www.fepblue.org/-/media/PDFs/Medical%20Policies/07-10-2020/70148%20Autologous%20Chondrocyte%20Implantation.pdf  maybe they will allow for hips.

I don't know anyone that has had this procedure, my brother sought it out for his shoulder, he ended up having a rotator cuff surgery.

But Maybe your condition lends itself better to hip resurfacing as both of your hips have issues.

I found that doctors will post anything on their websites to drive appointments to them.  I don't want to pay any doctor for a job interview consult.   So, if you find a doctor who may mentions chondrocyte implants on their website, I would email them, ask their staff if they have done the procedure in the last month or two to find out if they regularly perform the procedure.

I have been down the path of cortisone shots, synvisc, double spin prp, and was too far gone for autologous stem cells (Dr Don Buford, Dallas Tx honest man) without great outcomes.

But you are at the right place to find hip resurfacing surgeons with many years experience, and some of them can produce years of data showing great outcomes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:17:15 AM by dannythebeerman »
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:40:05 AM »
I suggest that you send x-ray images and an inquiry to several of the experienced re-surfacing surgeons on this site: Pritchett, Gross and De Smet. They will consult for free and will advise whether re-surfacing is a good option for you. I have had two surgeries with Dr. Pritchett, and I can assure you that he anything but a salesman :)  Good luck!

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
When I had my first hip resurfaced 10 years ago I first met with another surgeon.  I had orthoscopic surgery scheduled but after researching more and more the results seemed less than beneficial.  I then, met with a surgeon that does resurfacing.  He took one look art my X-Ray and said we are booking into October.  I asked what my options were and he said you need a new hip.  I told him I had the other procedure scheduled and he said you will cancel that because it won't work.  As others mentioned you can send your X-Rays to several surgeons and they will give you honest answers.

I'm one week out from having to have my left hip resurfaced and nervous as hell but I'm confident life after recovery will be much greater than what I'm dealing with now.

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 01:18:28 AM »
Hi NorCalNos.
Yes correct. Had this done made me worse. If your pincer dominant your in for a worse ride. If you are cam dominant maybe a go, as this has more proof but dont get them to resect the cups. Touch the socket or cups I have been told and its all over. Or you could go the new ceramic on ceramic resurfacing I dont know how thats going? with dr Desmet. You can try the metal on metal like I did and failed due to the body not liking the cobalt and chrome. That almost killed me, Or you can try ceramic on ceramic THR like mine the largest size which is revisable very much so and has caused me nil issues. I can run still and it does not seem to cause an issue with the running. Had 4 operations right and 3 left side with more poor hips and. Have my choice again it would be ceram on ceram THR revisable if the parts ever wear out and to the largest size you really want. they make thin liners for these now. They can also make sure that if doing THR that they put your hips back exactly in the same spot and or slightly longer to stop dislocation if this happens which you have to weigh up the resufacing sometimes they lose 5 mm or so when they operate in different areas then the hip is not in the same spot so the muscles are at different lengths. Quite an art if you ask me and a good surgeon can get them now real close so be aware of all the ins and outs. Good luck.
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
I've read a lot on this forum about labrum and other arthroscopic repair, and have yet to read one saying it was successful.

Dr. Gross will give you a free evaluation and is VERY persuasive when it comes to justifying the procedure to your insurance company without the need for extensive and expensive alternative therapies and treatments.

You're an excellent candidate for this surgery, and you get your live back almost in an instant.  Go here: https://www.grossortho.com/  Everything you need is there. 

Don't live in pain.  Many of us felt some level of despair when needing such a surgery at young ages, and there's no need.  Best of luck, and keep us informed!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM