+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Beginner Yoga Stretches - What’s safe and approved?  (Read 4567 times)

MarvinB

Beginner Yoga Stretches - What’s safe and approved?
« on: February 22, 2021, 09:26:24 PM »
Prior to surgery, I was practicing Downward-Facing Dog, Cat and Camel, Child’s Pose (VERY DIFFICULT with the impingement), Tree Pose, Cobra, Warrior, and doing plyometric exercises like planks and dips.  After the 6 week followup, I’m working some into my rehab exercises, taking it slow and easy of course!  Since I’ve never been able to sit cross-legged in my life, my goal is to do so in front of the Christmas tree this year to open presents instead of asking my wife to hand them to me in my recliner.   :D

To all of the Yoga Hippies out there:  what is safe and doctor-approved during your recovery?  What do you find easy and what is difficult?  What could you do safely at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:20:44 AM by Arthur Skoppie »
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
Ready for fun in ‘21!

dannythebeerman

Re: Beginner Yoga Stretches - What’s safe and approved?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »
Dr Gross' limitations:  No inward rotation,  crossing legs, or piriformis stretch for 6 months.  He detaches and reattaches 3 tendons with his operations, he advises to take it easy for 6 months and not mess up healing.
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

MarvinB

Re: Beginner Yoga Stretches - What’s safe and approved?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
Definitely avoiding those, Danny!  I found a Child’s Pose online with knees spread instead of tucked under.  Much easier!  I didn’t exceed the 90 degree rule until after the first 6 weeks, per Dr. G’s rules.  Found the Warrior I and II great for psoas stretches.  I stopped doing my prescribed back exercises for deteriorated lower disks that I had been doing for about 30 years when I started Dr. Gross’s regimen.  Adding in the light yoga and I really don’t miss them.  Something to be said about core strength.

To all you Future Hippies, start doing the exercises that you CAN do before your surgery, especially upper body strengthening.  You’ll thank yourself later (getting out of chairs, off the floor, off the potty, in and out of bed, etc.)!
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
Ready for fun in ‘21!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat