+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing after failed FVFG/AVN?  (Read 492 times)

atheo27

Resurfacing after failed FVFG/AVN?
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
I was curious if anyone here has had a resurfacing after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis (avn) or had a free vascularized fibular graft (fvfg)?
I am 22 years old, diagnosed with avn at age 12, and had a fvfg surgery. The operation provided a tolerable amount of relief for 7-8 years, but these last few years have been tough. I am told my only option is a total hip. However, I wanted to explore the resurfacing route. I am not sure if my bone structure will allow for a resurfacing. I have contacted Dr. Su and Gross for appointments, but wanted to know if anyone else has a similar experience in the meantime. Thanks!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Resurfacing after failed FVFG/AVN?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 10:35:45 AM »
Welcome to the group!

I don't know where you live, but Dr. Thomas Gross in Columbia South Carolina specializes in difficult cases.  I cannot say with 100% confidence that he has done resurfacing for someone with your kind of condition, but I'm sure I read something about that that makes me think he has.

Go to this page:  https://www.grossortho.com/patient-education/scientific-publications

He has two pulications that deal with necrosis.

1. Comparison of Cemented and Bone Ingrowth Fixation Methods in Hip Resurfacing for Osteonecrosis
2. Comparative study between patients with osteonecrosis and osteoarthritis after hip resurfacing arthroplasty

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with him, and he does phone consultation for free.  You might need some recent X-rays to send to him.  Contact his office and they'll tell you what they need.  I could go on and on about how awesome they are, but I'll spare you.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

dannythebeerman

Re: Resurfacing after failed FVFG/AVN?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
Welcome to the site.  Sorry to hear you had AVN.  I found that an appointment weren't necessary with the doctors who are predominately mentioned in this forum and ended up shipping my xrays for a free consult, saved a lot of time.  Dr Gross told me about my condition from my xrays, including leg length condition without me telling him. 
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat