+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: May 17, 2021 Resurfacing with Dr Gross (L)  (Read 1697 times)

PalmettoGolfer

May 17, 2021 Resurfacing with Dr Gross (L)
« on: May 21, 2021, 06:53:54 PM »
I'm a 53 year M who found out I was bone on bone in April of this year.  The pain wasn't quite as bad or for as long as some on this forum have described, but It was starting to affect my quality of living.  My passion if golfing so once it started affecting my swing i knew it was time to do something. 

I went and saw Dr Gross in mid April where he diagnosed me and said I'd need a new hip in short order and that the pain I was feeling would not get better.  Hearing that and knowing that I could barely walk a city block without the burning, pinching and pain I needed to do something.  They had an opening for the 17th which I was nervous about taking (because it was so quick) but realized that if i may it for July (which was the original date) I'd just have that much longer worry about it.  I took the 17th

Surgery day Monday May 17th
The morning of surgery was a breeze!  I got in a 6am, took me back at 6:15 had me iv'd, shaved and prepped before I knew what was going on.  I talk a lot when I'm nervous so I'm sure they were tired of hearing me babble.  The last thing I remember is asking where the incision would be, I felt someone run their finger where the incision would be and then I asked "Hey!?! Did you already give me something?"  out............................................

I remember being told to lay still while they were trying to xray me.  Apparently I just didn't feel like laying still people were holding me.  After some inappropriate comments to the nurses, nothing serious, I just told them how pretty they were (don't we all need to hear that sometimes??) I went to sleep for a little while.  I remember the nurse talking with my caregiver for a little while.  I listened intently to everything she said KNOWING that I'd remember all of it.  I didn't.  They sat me up and tried to give me some food and I almost passed out.  They laid me back down they told me afterwards I was white as a sheet.  I felt it coming on so I knew to try and get flat asap.  They told me it happens and was nothing to worry about.  It didn't happen again.

They worked with me through the lightheadedness and got me up and moving.  It was probably 11:30 or so, the pain wasn't bad at all.  You knew when you were 100% with the weight you could feel a little "tightness" but definitely bearable.  Now the bad part.  Part of being released is being able to pee.......you guessed it, I was having a hard time peeing.  My nurse gave me sooo many chances but finally I got the ultimatum, you have to pee this time or we have to 'cath' you.....talk about pressure.  No Joy, by this time I was just ready to get out of there.  I had spent way more time in recovery than most for multiple reasons, not peeing was one of them.  I got 'cath'd' they drained a lot of urine, I mean a lot.  My nurse told me that at least now I'd feel some relief.  I told her I didn't feel any different, to which she responded "well that means you were going to get cath'd from the start", my bladder just wasn't coming around from the anesthesia.

We live across town from the surgery center so the ride home was quick (about 25 minutes) and uneventful.  I got situated in my bed and just as I was starting to get some good drug induced sleep, the home care nurse came by.  Nice lady, can't tell you her name or what she looked like but her voice was nice.  She checked my dressing which was soaked and got permission to change it.  easy peasy, then the words I DID NOT WANT TO HEAR AGAIN......EVER  If you can't pee by midnight I'm going to have to come back and 'cath' you.  I got up went to the bathroom and managed a little and she was satisfied.  It turns out that was the least of my worries on this first night.  I drank maybe half a bottle of water and peed every hour on the hour for the next 10 hours.  Literally.  My caregiver (my sister) got up with me the first couple times and I finally told her you really don't need to get up every time.  I was stable on the crutches and had it down to a science by the 3rd trip.

Tuesday May 18th Post op +1
Started icing.  Tuesday was mostly filled with sleep and occasional trips to the bathroom.  Home nurse came by again this morning, check my bandage, soaked again, changed again but she told me that the incision looked good it was just a little ooze and that that should be the last time they'd have to change it, and it was.   Getting around isn't as bad as you might think (at least not as bad as I thought it might be) more drug induced sleep, pretty uneventful.  I the back of my mind I'm waiting on the pain.  Taking all of the medications they prescribed, and there's a lot of them, is the most challenging part of the next day or two.  You get information from 3 different paper sources, so trying to combine the 3 was a chore the first day or so, but not horrible. 

Wednesday May19th post op +2
Getting a little more mobile, still pending a lot of time in bed, I wanted to get around more, i just don't think it was time I was listening to my body.  Still waiting on the pain.....not feeling it yet, based off of some of the comments here and what the nurses told me the spinal is a slow release....?  It would wear off tomorrow, more ice, more ice.  I'm making a conscious effort to spend a little time on my feet, nothing more than a trip to the window and back, I was getting stir crazy.  I took my long term pain med at 8:30 am and 8:30pm, the short term i took throughout the day. still waiting on the pain.  I started adding and hour between short term pills.  I read that you should wean yourself off the 12hour first then the short term. I'm not sure if that's the best way or not but its what I did.  Sleep is becoming an issue.  I'm not a back sleeper and its just not comfortable to me.  I took the stairs today for the first time since coming home.  Just stayed away from them until now.  Following the good up bad down rule with the crutch or cane, works well.  No problems at all, just hold on tight  :)

Thursday May 20th post op +3
I took my last 12 hour pain med last night at 8:30pm, took a couple short term pills through the night one at 10pm then one at ~3:30am, no more after that.  I'm not trying to be be tough or cool or prove that I don't want to take the pain meds.  I just didn't need them.  Thursday was a good day, getting much more mobile throughout the day.  I'm now making a little more effort to walk more, the walks (on crutches) have turned in to 3-5 minute walks adding a little more weight each time.  Pain is not there.  I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, why does this nor hurt more???  Not complaining just asking a question.  Down to Tylenol, Meloxicam for pain, plus the other 6 I'm supposed to take for varying lengths of time.  Starting to see some of the swelling.  It's painful but manageable.  able to put more weight on the operated hip.  I slept on my side for 2 hours last night (best 2 hour sleep of my life)  Wasn't the most comfortable thing ever but the body pillow was a good investment.  Showered today,  BOY DID I NEED IT!.  Would have been able to shower yesterday but the extra bleeding caused a 1 day delay. Felt 100% better.  Lightheadedness if not going away a quickly as I hoped but I'll give it some time.  I spent most of the last 3 days in bed on my back.  It's not the type that is close to passing out its more of a queasy feeling.  Appetite is take it or leave it.  No constipation issues, probably due to the constipation meds they have you taking along with pain pills.

Friday May 21st post op +4
Another day of improvement.  Able to walk with 1 crutch easily and would swap out the cane for short periods, no stability issues. Same medications going to try the side sleep again tonight if needed. Getting around well looking forward to 1 week follow up and getting muscles back in shape (and my walks for exercise)  Swelling is still an issue.  I'm still icing 4/5 times a day for an hour on hour off.  Hopefully this will subside in time.  The only real issue I'm having now if a little light headedness (queasy?) and the "involuntary jerks" that people mention.  It's the weirdest thing, my leg will just 'jump or jerk' while sleeping or right on the edge of sleep.  Being a new hip you get a little nervous about it but it hasn't cause any real pain just an unexpected 'jump of the leg'.

So far this is what I will tell you.

1 get good with your dressing stick, or have someone available to dress you.
2 Raised toilet seat with handles
3 the hip kit, whether its one from your dr's office or off of amazon.  I got the one with 2 grabbers, very convenient
4 try and clearly mark down your medications and when you take them.  There are a lot of bottles and the last thing you want to do is have to try and figure out what to take when in a hurry
5 get an ice machine, the swelling has been the worst part for me
6 listen to YOUR body, I saw videos and comments of people going without crutches or canes in the first couple days.  COULD I have done it?  Maybe, but I wasn't going to take that chance
7 Dr Gross's team was WONDERFUL in every way.  I can't thank them enough for how they helped my through that first day.

I'll update more tomorrow and Sunday and after my follow up.

I know its a lot to read but I wanted to get some of it down before I forgot it and please forgive all the typos that I'm sure are there.

If you have any questions just ask.  I know this forum helped me a lot leading up to my surgery and if i can offer that help to anyone I would be happy to.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:30:02 PM by PalmettoGolfer »

PalmettoGolfer

Re: May 17, 2021 Resurfacing with Dr Gross (L)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 07:28:26 PM »
Saturday May 22 post op +5

Another day of steady but slow improvements.  Using cane now, trying to rely on it for weight bearing less each day.  Feeling great,  pain meds are the normal Tylenol, Meloxicam concoction. Side sleeping is becoming easier each night.  Got a couple 2 hours side sleep sessions last night.  For some reason (probably pain in my shoulder from pillow height) I wake up after 2 hours, reset myself go back to my back for a while.

Appetit is slowly returning.  Queasy feeling is slowly dissipating

Main issue now is swelling has moved down from butt/thigh to thigh to upper calf, much easier up and down from bed.  Ice, Ice, Ice.  Icing after each walking session 1 on 1 off.  resting as much as I can, bored to tears  ;D

Excited for my 1 week follow up

Very impressed with what was done and the pain (or lack thereof) that I'm feeling.

MarvinB

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
Congrats, PG!  Sounds like your progress is very similar to what mine was.  Dr. Gross’s process is amazing, isn’t it?  I haven’t played a round in 4 years, but hoping to get back in the “swing” after my 6 month anniversary.  Keep up the good work and keep listening to what your body is telling you!
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
-LH (scheduled 6/10/24)

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
Monday, May 24 post op+7

Went for my week 1 checkup today, all was well, Had the bandage taken off (thankfully). 

Swelling is still there and moving around.  It's gone from my butt to my hip to my thigh to the calf and ankle over the last couple days.  Pretty uncomfortable. but hoping there's and end in sight.  This is what I would say is my biggest complaint.  Considering what was done during surgery to have this as my "complaint" is more of a blessing.   ;)

Still using one crutch as I just feel more comfortable distributing my weight that way.  Slight "pain" in hip flexor region.  I hesitate to call it a pain, more of a discomfort.  Not panicking just mentioning it because its happening  :)

Slight clicking and clunking occasionally.  Again no pain just a sensation.

Overall I'm glad I had it done and it's getting better every day

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 11:02:20 AM »
Glad you're doing well.  As you've read, this is a marathon recovery, not a sprint.  Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm now a Gross bi-lateral, and I'm curious about one thing.  Typically Dr. Gross sends you home with this silver something-or-other bandage over the incision that stays in place for a week that doesn't need to be changed and that you can shower with it.  I did both times.  Did you not get this bandage?

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »
PG-

Sounds like you're doing well.  One crutch, one week in is very standard.  I had most of my swelling in the quads on my thighs and it took a good 10 days- 2 weeks before I saw a significant reduction.  Was told to elevate the feet/legs and used a recliner with a wedge pillow while icing.  Was also told the swelling will evacuate through the feet- hence the elevation.  Not sure how that works but seemed to follow that course.  I retained a feeling of swelling in my knees for several months- and it took some work to kneel down on the floor or gym mats and sit on my ankles.  I got there but it took a while for it to be comfortable.  It's an important position for me as I use it to lean back to stretch the quads and back.  First couple of weeks are usually about small incremental advances so take your time.  Best wishes.

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »
Glad you're doing well.  As you've read, this is a marathon recovery, not a sprint.  Slow and steady wins the race.

I'm now a Gross bi-lateral, and I'm curious about one thing.  Typically Dr. Gross sends you home with this silver something-or-other bandage over the incision that stays in place for a week that doesn't need to be changed and that you can shower with it.  I did both times.  Did you not get this bandage?

He did, and you are correct they shouldn't have had to change it but mine was leaking through the edges both times.  Not sure if it was because it was an excess amount of blood or it didn't seal well...... when they finally took it off I had a blood stain about the size of a half dollar so it was basically done by the time the put the second one on there.

PG-

Sounds like you're doing well.  One crutch, one week in is very standard.  I had most of my swelling in the quads on my thighs and it took a good 10 days- 2 weeks before I saw a significant reduction.  Was told to elevate the feet/legs and used a recliner with a wedge pillow while icing.  Was also told the swelling will evacuate through the feet- hence the elevation.  Not sure how that works but seemed to follow that course.  I retained a feeling of swelling in my knees for several months- and it took some work to kneel down on the floor or gym mats and sit on my ankles.  I got there but it took a while for it to be comfortable.  It's an important position for me as I use it to lean back to stretch the quads and back.  First couple of weeks are usually about small incremental advances so take your time.  Best wishes.

Yes, the swelling is making its rounds.  Mine has really been focused on the lower knee and calf and some in the ankle area.  I'm icing several times a day with elevation.  It does help reduce the swelling for sure.

Although this process was very smooth and no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be (so far) I'm certainly not going to volunteer to have it done again or revised because i do something dumb.  I'm going to take my time, follow and instructions and take all the gains, little or big, as progress.

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »
Wednesday post op +16

Doing very well, still have some residual swelling which is being stubborn.  I am back at work (IT) so there's a lot of sitting.  I'm finding that I need to get up about every 30 minutes or so to work it out.  I also may be walking a bit more than I should, nothing major and it's not hurting during the walk but it may be contributing to the swelling hanging around.

Sleeping is still an issue, can 't get comfortable on my back, finding that I end up on my stomach during the night (not all the way but half way with the pillow still under my operated side.  Don't notice any pain but I'm trying to stay on my side it's just difficult to control at night.

Overall I think I'm on track and feeling better every day. 

EDIT:  Walking-I'm walking without either cane or crutch.  Slight limp but that's getting better every day as I continue to work on my stride.  Stairs are still good leg up and operated leg down.  Trying to work on that to build muscles.  I can go either way with a "normal" step with assistance from the hand rail.

Trying to maintain a slow and steady pace.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:16:37 AM by PalmettoGolfer »

Saddlepal3

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 05:48:26 PM »
If you can get your hands on a recliner or zero gravity chair, that will help with sleeping on your back. Also, I was told to continue with a cane until my limp was really gone.

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »
If you can get your hands on a recliner or zero gravity chair, that will help with sleeping on your back. Also, I was told to continue with a cane until my limp was really gone.

Thanks Saddlepal3

I've got a recliner in the other room.  If the sleeping doesn't improve I'm gonna give it a go out there.

I contacted Dr. Gross's office yesterday about my walking without crutch or cane.  She said as long as there was no pain I would be fine.  It's just a slight limp and I think it's only because of the "tightness" feeling I get.  I find that when I use the cane or crutch I inadvertently put a lot of weight on the device instead of trying to work the muscles on my operated side.

The swelling continues to subside.  I'm walking a little further each day and if feels a little more normal.  I'm trying not to push it too much to avoid the next day blues that everyone seems to get.

Still not even thinking about swinging a golf club.  Will talk to Dr. Gross at my 6 week checkup to find out where I stand.  I *think* I can hold out until then   ;)

jimbone

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
PG-

Sounds like you're on track.  IIRC at 16 days I still carried a cane and used it as necessary as my walks got longer.  The 1st 2 weeks- at your stage- I found the improvements were incremental and at that point they began to increased in strength and endurance.  There is a 20 step stair with handrail at the HS track I started walking at about your stage and I measured my improvement by being able to do those stairs 1 step after another and then with and without using the handrail although that was probably more week 3-4.  It seems to me that Dr. Gross uses the metric of 1 mile unaided  by week 6 which seemed reasonable to me and the gauge I used although it took me 7 weeks to do it without a brief rest at 3/4 mile.  Not meant as a comparison to your recovery just to indicate it sounds like your doing well and will continue to improve.  I found the recovery process fun and exciting- to see myself getting my life back free from the chronic pain and restrictions made me fell like a toddler with his first pair of Buster Browns who just wanted to walk, walk, walk.  Hope you're enjoying your new freedom.  Best wishes.

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
June 7, 21 days post op

Well today I can say was one of the setback days that I've read about on here

Swelling has picked up a little in my knee and ankle again.  I didn't do my second walk today.

I'm getting little pains in my groin, outer thigh and knee.  The knee is probably the worst.  It's a sharp pain very uncomfortable to go along with the swelling.  I'm going to take it easy the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow .  I'll try my walk after lunch tomorrow.  Not panic mode yet mainly because I've read on the forums that you'll have days like this.

Overall, I'm getting around well and up until today it's been a daily improvement.

I'll post again in a couple days to update how I'm feeling.

jimbone

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 01:34:36 AM »
PG-

Yeah setbacks can happen.  Elevate, ice and use the meds you were given if you need them.  Rest is a part of recovery.  Hang in- Gross is one of the best and knows his business- take a day and you'll be back on it.

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »
Ok, a couple days after my "setback" and I'm right back on track.

I'm not sure what caused the sudden pains in my knee and outer thigh but a day and a half of rest and ice and I feel recovered (to the point before the sudden pains).  I *think* it may have been either the sudden change of me trying to sleep on my operated side or overdoing the walking.  Whatever it was I'll be sure to keep an eye out for symptoms and take it a little easier.

I went on my walk today and felt GREAT.  I was even stopped by a man walking his dog who decided to tell me everything about his life....I was standing for 35 minutes just talking to him.  My legs started shaking a little bit, so I got back to the house and rested for the rest of the day.

A good nights sleep and I'll be ready for my walks again tomorrow.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »
Sounds like you are on the right track. Great to hear you are doing better. 
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 08:33:14 PM »
June 17, 31 days after surgery

Feeling better every day.  Went for a little extra walk for the last couple days, not too long just about 3 extra houses.  Swelling is still there, it feels great in the morning but as I sit for work and do my walks throughout the day its starts to act up a little (swelling wise).  Limp is almost gone completely I'm working on it every time I walk.  Its easy, and probably a bit of a habit, to 'protect' my operated hip, but I'm trying not to do that and walk with a normal stride.

It's getting a little easier to sleep on my operated side each night.  It's not the most comfortable position to sleep in but like pretty much everything with this experience, it gets a little easier each night.

REALLY itching to get back to the gym.  I know I won't be able to go full out but anything will help.

I've got my six week follow up in about a week and a half and we'll see where we are at that point.

Next step will be getting back on the golf course (or at least the driving range)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:43:58 AM by PalmettoGolfer »

LarryBud

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 06:52:23 PM »
Hope you are doing well dn are too busy golfing to post.

How about an update if you read this?

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 09:14:43 PM »
LarryBud - ask and you shall receive!

My appointment got pushed back by 2 days due to it being cancelled  :)  There was a mix up when I first scheduled my surgery.  I moved it up a couple months and in the confusion when they went to clean up the appointments attached to the first surgery date they cancelled my 6 week for the new surgery date.  No worries though.

x-Rays were 'perfect' and strength was 'excellent'.  Strength was probably more due to the fact that I only had symptoms for 6/7 months so the quads and associated muscles didn't have a lot of time to atrophy

I was released to phase 2 of my exercises, some of them which look painful   ;D

THE BEST NEWS OF ALL (besides everything still being in the right place) was that Lee told me I could hit golf balls!!!!

So to celebrate, I did.  I went straight from the Dr's office to the driving range.  I only hit about 20 or so and it wasn't pretty but just to hit some and feel that sensation again was WONDERFUL!!

As I was leaving, I saw someone in the office who picked up his 'Hip Kit'.  I knew immediately he was one of Dr Gross's.  He stopped me on the way out and we had a very good conversation about the process and how my healing and recovery was going.

I hope I alleviated some of his concerns, because I remember how I felt before my surgery.  New York, if you read this and have any more question don't hesitate to ask me or any of the folks on here.  They're all very helpful and I know from experience that having this forum to bounce questions off of or just reading the posts helped me a lot.

LarryBud

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 06:05:48 AM »
That's great news and congrats on the smooth recovery.

Hitting balls at 6 weeks or so sounds wonderful.  My countdown to surgery day is on and I love to hear success stories.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear