+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any new data on hip resurfacing longevity for long distance runners & sprinters?  (Read 894 times)

Canadian-Ice

Hi Everyone On Here,

I was dx with OA in 2011. I was a nationally ranked runner previously but have not done so in any meaningful way since 2008. Man it would be wounderful to get back on the road in flats, although recently I have discovered the world of cycling to be great freedom too.

Any updated info on the durability of well-placed resurfacings for runners? BHR or other? By McMinn, DeSmet, Bose, or others?

jwiltse

I had left hip resurfacing with a BHR device in 2010 (at age 46) after athletic injury related OA. I've been very happy with the results and have played a lot of competitive Ultimate, run many shorter road and trail races, lots of mt. biking, hiking, snowboarding, volleyball, etc...  I'm not a high performance athlete but I love staying very active and have zero regrets about getting the surgery.

I came on this forum again after not looking at it for over 9 years because I, too, wanted to find out what the life expectancy of the BHR device is so I know what's likely in store for me as far as revision or THR. I haven't found any data on this but I'll keep looking and hopefully someone will jump on this thread to share some data or even anecdotal info on longevity of BHR, esp. among athletes.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
There are only statistics (as far as I know) of survivorship on a doctor by doctor basis.  The best doctors keep and publish their data. 

Here is a link to Dr. Gross' patient education website.  He's done about as many (often more) than any surgeon in the world.

https://www.grossortho.com/patient-education/scientific-publications

In particular, he has an 11 year retrospective comparison of over 4000 cases.  Maybe you'll find something there.

This surgery has only been done for about 20 years, so there's not a lot of long-term data anywhere.  I'm at year 9 on my first, 10 months on my second.  Short of bone density problems as I age, I really believe they'll last my lifetime.

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM