+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Typical Stay Length for Resurfacing w/ Dr. Pritchett  (Read 642 times)

BillyH

Typical Stay Length for Resurfacing w/ Dr. Pritchett
« on: June 10, 2021, 04:03:15 PM »
Hi All!  So I'm getting close to needing surgery.  If I load my bad side "wrong", I'm getting a sharp pain in the hip.  I've been limping along (often times literally) for too long.  It's fascinating though to see how we adapt to move and avoid pain.  I had a somewhat cheap pair of house slippers that I was wearing indoors for the past year or so.  I took a look at them a few weeks ago and the right one (my good side) was demolished!  Not a surprise but still interesting.  Time to go Bionic!

My question is simply around what a typical trip duration looks like for a hip resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett for those who have had one with him.  I had a video consultation with him a couple of months ago. I thought he said it was somewhere in the 5 day range but I didn't jot that down.  I've been in contact with their office and was told it would be 10 days and my caretaker would need to be there the entire time.  My caretaker is my wife and she won't have a lot of PTO after a trip we're taking soon.  Does 10 days sound right?  If so, I might have a family member take the caretaker "baton" on the latter half. 

catfriend

Re: Typical Stay Length for Resurfacing w/ Dr. Pritchett
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 03:16:13 PM »
I assume you're travelling in for the surgery, although you don't mention from where or how long the trip is.

I would clarify this with Susan. The surgery itself is outpatient. I had my second resurfacing with Dr. P on March 1. I checked into Swedish at 5.45, and was out the door the 2 o'clock hour. Your post surgical follow up visit is in 10-14 days. At that visit your bandage is removed and you're x-rayed again. You meet with Dr. P as well. It's not a long visit, unless you have a lot of questions. This is probably where the ten day quote is coming from. I don't know if some out of state patients are allowed to skip it and have the follow up by a surgeon at home. My guess is not, so plan on the ten days. (I'm local so this was not an issue for me.) If prepared you could get away with being by yourself for a few days (I'm single and live alone; I never had a caretaker, but I did have neighbors with keys who would come running at a moment's notice), BUT you're going to need someone to help you travel. You won't be able to carry your luggage, you'll be swollen, etc. The second baton carrier might as well show up before/when your wife leaves. Good luck!

Saddlepal3

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »
Hi there,
I traveled from Florida for my surgery with Dr. Pritchett, and, as Catfriend advises, spent about 10 days in Seattle so as to be there for the follow up visit. I stayed at The Baroness Hotel which was old, not fancy, but walking distance to the doctor's office and cheap. If you are driving a long distance or flying, it could be a challenge to travel before that time. This is major surgery and it takes awhile to start feeling like yourself again. I definitely needed my husband's help for the first 4-5 days and was more independent later. That being said, I was grateful to have someone around for "just in case" scenarios. As Catfriend said, Dr. Pritchett's PA, Susan, is a wealth of information and good advice.

Chris_RS

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 04:03:19 PM »
I traveled to Dr. Pritchett from St. Louis for surgery in Oct 2018. Surgery was Tue AM (out patient) and follow-up appt. was in Dr. Pritchett’s office on Fri. Flew back home on Sat. I am under the impression that this is a std schedule for those traveling to Dr. Pritchett from afar - I didn’t request any special timeline. My rock of a spouse was there with me the whole time for aid/assistance - I couldn’t have done it w/o her.  Everything went well and was actually quite easy, I don’t hesitate to recommend the same to anyone. My wife and I are both “planners” so that helps too - just have modest expectations for what you’ll be able to do and read the multitude of posts here for guidance. I was 50 at the time of surgery and in good health otherwise if it matters to the schedule. I was not on any weight bearing restrictions following surgery (based on bone density/quality) - that may impact if/when Dr. Pritchett wants to see you back in for a checkup. As others have recommended, check with Susan - she was a saint in answering all my questions.

Good Luck!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »
Just throwing this out there as an alternative.  Dr. Thomas Gross in South Carolina is - like Dr. Pritchet - one of the best in the world.  He's a bit closer, but does not require a 2-week follow-up X-ray.  He also does the surgeries outpatient.  You stay in a Marriott right across the parking lot from the hotel overnight, and he comes and checks on you in the morning.  They he sends you home.  You might want to limit the drive to 3-4 hours a day, but you'd be home in, say, 3 days or so.  I'm assuming you have recent X-rays.  He'll do a free phone consultation. 

Just an option.  Both surgeons are amongst the best there are.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

BillyH

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 02:47:36 PM »
Hi Andy - I actually did a teleconference with Dr. Gross a few months back.  It was his "itinerary" duration that I remembered and what had me confused with Dr. Pritchett's procedures.  The main difference is that Dr. P requires the post-op to be done in person which adds on to the trip.

All good though.  We got scheduled with Dr. P the week of Thanksgiving so my wife will be in good shape for her PTO given the holidays.

Can't wait to join the club and get my quality of life back up! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat