+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back at it!  (Read 4067 times)

PalmettoGolfer

Back at it!
« on: July 07, 2021, 07:16:09 PM »
Just got the 6 week approval to start hitting balls again.

I went straight from the Dr's office to the driving range.  It wasn't pretty, but hitting that little white ball again does feel great.

I'm in the early stages, I know, but I have a lot of hesitation swinging.  I know this part of the board isn't visited that often but can someone give me an idea of when they felt they could really go at the ball again?

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Back at it!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »
I gave up golf ages ago, so can't comment on that.  But, I can comment on when I got back at it in earnest, which is basically the 6-month mark.  As you know, that's how long Dr. Gross says to take it easy.  But, golf isn't really an impact sport, so it may be different.  I was biking pretty decently hard by 3 months......I'd guess that's when you can unleash on the ball. 

For golf, it's probably more of a tolerance thing.  If you can swing at, say, 80% and you're not sore afterward or the next day, you're probably good to go.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 12:34:55 PM »
Well, I played my first round today.......

Wasn't great wasn't horrible.  85 with a lot of trouble with the short game.  I've always heard its the last part of your game to come back after not playing for a while.  It showed today.

I'm just happy I can swing pain free and I'm thinking it's only going to get better.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:59 AM »
Well, that's probably my BEST round before giving it up, so way to go!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

DonFromCT

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 11:52:10 AM »
I'm at 3 1/2 months and am cleared to do pretty much anything other than run. 

The key is rehab.  I've been obsessive and have full strength in glutes, quads, hamstring.  I've got nearly full strength in abduction and adduction. 

I'm working internal and external rotation and coming along.  They are weak but getting stronger. 

The only issue is my psoas (hip flexor) which is still "angry" so I can't work it hard.  Every couple of weeks I try a flutter kick when swimming and can only do it for a few minutes.  Then back to the breast stroke. 

I've done a combination of hiking, walking, cycling, and swimming in addition to gym work.  I do at least one activity every day and often 2 items. 

I'm satisfied with my strength progress.  I still need a lot of work on flexibility. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:53:16 AM by DonFromCT »

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 06:01:27 PM »
Don

Regarding the psoas and swimming.  Prior to surgery my psoas and the other frontal muscle attachment at the front of the hip/thigh junction [don't have the anatomy book with me at the moment] were very troublesome.  I found using swim fins very helpful.  They slowed down the kick and gave a nice resistance that always helped to relieve the pain kicking caused me when I swam.  The other was a stretch I learned at PT:  next to a bed put your knee up on the mattress, other leg a little forward and then stretch into it, torso upright.  Very much like the kneeling psoas stretch but much easier on the knees.  The bed should be just about knee high when standing next to it.  I also found doing squats on the Bosu ball a great way to build strength in the rotators and helped the smaller glute muscles for balance and strength.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear