+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain post op  (Read 4370 times)

obxpelican

Pain post op
« on: July 08, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
Greetings all,

My brother in-law is going in for a THR middle of this month, I was wondering what was your pain level post op?

-Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

PalmettoGolfer

Re: Pain post op
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 03:57:08 PM »
I don't know if I was the exception or the rule but I had almost zero pain post-op.  I had  HR on May 17th and was off the heavy meds by the 19th and probably could have gone off sooner.

For me it was more of a tight feeling and just an overall inconvenience but pain was negligible. 

MarvinB

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
Hi, Chuck!

Jan 4 of this year for me.  Pain level went from varying between 4 to 8 pre-op to a steady 2 post-op for a couple weeks, then 0!  Muscles get a little sore with heavy activity, but the Polar Cube and a little Tylenol or Advil would stave that off.  The only pain I have now at 6 months is trying to get my nose to my op side right knee like I can on my left.  Getting better and less pain and soreness every day.  I do 54 stairs every day at work, usually more than twice a day.  Feel like taking them 2 at a time somedays, but, hey, I'm getting old!   :D
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
-LH (scheduled 6/10/24)

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 07:41:44 AM »
I am also a Dr. Gross graduate, things will rapidly get better for you for sure.  My only good joint now is my right hip.  I was wondering if THR patients had much pain post-op.  My pain with a HR was more like a monkey fist under my incision.

My BIL did not want to hear anything but doing it locally and that meant a THR. 

-Chuck

Hi, Chuck!

Jan 4 of this year for me.  Pain level went from varying between 4 to 8 pre-op to a steady 2 post-op for a couple weeks, then 0!  Muscles get a little sore with heavy activity, but the Polar Cube and a little Tylenol or Advil would stave that off.  The only pain I have now at 6 months is trying to get my nose to my op side right knee like I can on my left.  Getting better and less pain and soreness every day.  I do 54 stairs every day at work, usually more than twice a day.  Feel like taking them 2 at a time somedays, but, hey, I'm getting old!   :D
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »
That's such a shame that he won't even consider resurfacing.  I'm sure you've told him about the many advantages of it.  Some folks just get their minds set on it, I suppose. 

I imagine the pain levels will depend entirely on the surgical approach.  I know of someone who recently had a THR done with an anterior approach, and they had very little pain afterward.  Plus, sitting/standing (particularly getting on/off the toilet) is MUCH easier.

....at the expense of bone preservation.....
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM