+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Unable to lift my leg up  (Read 1048 times)

cardiotrader

Unable to lift my leg up
« on: July 16, 2021, 12:27:24 PM »
Hello Everyone:
I had a left sided BHR procedure about 5 weeks ago. I did ok post op, till the following week that we started home rehab. after 2 sessions of rehab and the following day of my second session of my rehab, I ended up in the ER with sever spasm attacks that was the most unbearable pain that I ever had in my life!!. After several MRI, CT scans, X-Ray and blood works, they found retropretoneal air in my pelvic area. they thought that rehab exacerbated the situation and that's why caused my severe spasm. I ended up staying 2 days in the hospital and attacks continued  for 3 days after my discharge. My surgeon NP stopped all the Pt and Home rehabs after that. I am ok now and can walk and drive w/o any assisting devices, but not able to lift my operated leg more than 90 degrees off the ground. Therefore, putting on long pants, socks, or tying my shoelace is impossible. I spoke to another co-worker who had the same surgery about 6 years ago by the partner of my surgeon, and he said that he was able to do all that in a week or 2 after the surgery. At this point, I am getting a little worried, since I am having occasional groin pain also. I am trying to exercise on my own to strengthen my core muscles. I am 56 years old and played soccer all my life, even a week before my procedure. I am wondering if anyone in this community had similar experience and what should be my expectation. Thank you all.

PalmettoGolfer

Re: Unable to lift my leg up
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:07:38 PM »
Cardio, I'm sorry to hear about your problems!

Although I didn't have issues after surgery, IIRC at 5 weeks, I think I was in a similar situation.  For the first 6 weeks I didn't do anything other than the exercises I was assigned by my surgeon, Dr. Gross, and walk.

I'm coming up on 9 weeks this Monday.  I just try to go a little further each day.  I still don't have the ROM to put on my sock or shoes either, but each day when I try, I try to stretch a little further.  It's getting better all the time, just slowly  :)

As of about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I'm back at the gym.  I got clearance for squats, not past 90 and with no more than 50 pounds.  I'm not getting to 90 yet but again, I just try to go just a bit further each session.

It takes some time for the muscles to start working correctly again but the difference between 5 weeks and now is pretty significant.

We're all different and I've read some recovery stories that were much quicker and some that were slower than mine. 

I tell people all the time, even though this process was (for me) painless and more of an inconvenience, I don't want volunteer to do it all over again because I try and push to hard.  Take your time, stick to what your Dr tells you and it'll come around.

cardiotrader

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 05:46:41 PM »
Thanks Palmeto. I agree with you that everyone's recovery is different, and perhaps the amount of injury prior to the procedure. I appreciate showing me the light in a few weeks, that makes me feel better. I have been going to the gym also and pushing myself a little harder everyday. One thing that makes me feel good all along, is I don't have the unbearable pain and spasm that I had before the surgery. I hope we both regain our full ROM, fairly soon. Thanks for replying to my message.

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your post surgery problems. I have never heard of that problem, but it sounds awful. Glad you're over that. As for your others issues, I think your friend either has forgotten details of his recovery or had the fastest recovery ever. Five weeks is within the 45 days of 90 degree restrictions, so I wasn't even trying to tie shoes, or put on pants and shoes without clothing aids. Lifting my leg 90 degrees would have been right out!

You're probably recovering just fine. First, find yourself a new PT, preferably one who has worked with resurfacing patients before. And wait a bit. I think you started PT a little early. Your exercises should still be gentle, plus walking.

I, personally, was really slow at tying shoelaces. Don't be surprised if this takes you a bit. Soccer is an impact sport. Speak with your surgeon as to how long it will be before you can take it up again. Your bone and device are still fusing. It's much too soon for that now.

You might want to read other recovery stories on this site for an idea of how long you can expect it to take to be up impact sports again. Like I mentioned, except for your complication, you're probably healing up just fine, but your expectations may need adjusting.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:38:23 AM »
I'm always baffled by the wildly disparate recovery regimens that different surgeons suggest.  Some are full-blown PT starting at 2 weeks, whereas Dr. Gross has a few simple exercises for six weeks, followed by different ones post-six weeks, all reasonable.  I'm at 10 months now (hip #2, 10 years hip #1), and I still do not have full range of motion back on my recent hip.  Of course, I'm not stretching enough either.

Tying shoes at 2 weeks seems like selective memory to me, particularly if the surgeon used a posterior approach.   Do you know if your surgical approach was posterior, or something else?

Whatever happened sounds like an anomaly, and that you're on the right track.  Range of motion will come with time and effort.  Best of luck!

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

cardiotrader

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
Thanks for your comments. I am supposed to see a doctor on 07/27, and will definitely sick out a professional PT sessions then. I believe you are right, I am rushing it too much. I have no plans to go back to impact sports, at least 6 months - 1 year after my surgery.

cardiotrader

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »
The approach was posterior, and I looked it up on YouTube. Its a big procedure!!!

PalmettoGolfer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 06:31:35 PM »
I looked it up too.  I think I was ok with the procedure itself but when the doctor took the operated side leg and started slinging it all over the place that's when I was ok, I'm not watching anymore   :o

It is a major surgery and I'm always amazed at what these doctors can do now.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat