+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 Year Anniversary  (Read 1150 times)

pjh1765

10 Year Anniversary
« on: July 18, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Hello fellow Surface Hippies,
I haven’t posted since 2012 so I thought I’d share my 10 year update.  My 2011 surgery was a success and I have had no issues whatsoever.  I have a friend who is an Orthopedic Surgeon who informed me that metal is really not used anymore and recommended I have an X-ray and blood test to check for metal ions.  The X-ray showed no noticeable wear and my blood test results were good!  I’m very active and play golf once a week and have never felt any pain since my left BHR.  This procedure was fairly young when I had mine so it is very reassuring to read the successful 15-20 year anniversary posts.
Left BHR 6/22/11 Dr. Lannin - Stanford Univ. Hospital

jimbone

Re: 10 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:48:30 PM »
PJH-

Congratulations on a decade of successful recovery.  You and the other pioneers of this amazing surgery are owed the appreciation of the rest of us that benefited from your decisions.  Glad to hear you're doing well and enjoying your life.  Just past my 3rd year anniversary of the left hip, Sept. will be the 3rd anniversary of my right.  Getting my life back was worth every doubt and recovery challenge.  Anyone facing this surgery needs to recognize how far it's come, how adept the top surgeons are at this point and how much they will benefit from deciding to get it done.  Great to read your story and thanks for checking back in.

stevebf1118

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 09:19:54 AM »
I face a serious dilemma at 12 years post BHR.  Metal ion levels that have been well above normal since 2012 have spiked recently, see graphs.  My orthopedist has been recommending revision surgery for almost 5 years and expect after meeting with him this coming week to hear the same.  This is the conclusion of an MRI I received in 2019 with regard to the general condition of the implant at that time.  I am a endurance cyclist accumulating roughly 30,000 miles post surgery and over that time experienced only occasional mild pain in the anterior area and NO loss of range of motion.  I turn 68 next week and the implant is intact with no indication of imminent failure this being the reason I've been reluctant to have the revision which is an invasive procedure with long recovery time.  Recent blood work shows no kidney or live issues and Echo cardiogram indicates no evidence of cardiovascular disease , I am fit and strong given my age but wonder at what point I put myself at serious risk.  Am interested in thoughts on the subject.   

FINDINGS:
Comparison is made to the prior MR pelvis dated 03/20/2015

There is a resurfacing type right hip arthroplasty. There is an
unchanged pseudotumor arising from the posterior inferior margin of
the right hip joint space and extending along the posterior greater
trochanter. The pseudotumor does not appear significantly changed in
size or appearance since the prior study and measures 4.7 cm superior
to inferior x 1.5 cm anterior posterior x 5.4 cm transverse. A small
right hip effusion is present.

There is left hip chondrosis with degenerative tear of the labrum and
a associated para labral cyst. Bone marrow is normal.

There is normal alignment of the lumbar spine. Degenerative disc
disease is present from L3 through S1. Sacroiliac joints are normal
and symmetric.
There is no evidence of osteitis pubis.

Tendinous insertions of the iliopsoas and gluteal muscles are normal.
There is tendinopathy of the left hamstring tendon at its insertion
site on the left ischial tuberosity with a partial tear.

There is mild bilateral greater trochanteric and ischial bursitis.

There is normal muscle bulk without evidence of atrophy or
denervation. Sciatic nerve appears normal.

There is diverticulosis without evidence of diverticulitis. There is
no adenopathy or free fluid.

johnieappel

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 03:56:30 PM »
Hi, I'm curious about your metalosis issue, other than the levels of metal detected being high are you experiencing any other symptoms like pain or discomfort? I'm at almost 14 years with my BHR and I work construction. I've been having discomfort and some pain since the end of October 2021. It was after doing a complete roof tearoff, re-sheeting and re-shingling on a 2000 sq foot home. I have had no tests for metalosis but had an Xray back in mid November which appeared normal from what the radiologist report said. I've yet to get my Dr.'s report on the Xray because of the Holidays. I feel like it could be a metalosis issue because I have several symptoms which include:
Anxiety, Groin pain, Tinnitus, Irritability, Poor memory and mental fogginess.
~ John

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat