+-

Author Topic: Post Op Activities of Daily living expectations?  (Read 124 times)

LarryBud

Post Op Activities of Daily living expectations?
« on: August 06, 2021, 11:24:11 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm on the books for my right hip with Dr. Gross for early November.  I'm trying to get my head around what to expect for my return to normal post op.

I've been trying to read through stories but don't have a good feel after reading many.  My questions are around basic daily functions more than hard core physical activities ( I care about them too but will wait my time ).  For example:

How long until I get up and use the bathroom at night?
When can I expect to put socks and shoes on?
What clothing will I be able to manage?  When can I put on blue jeans?
What will going to the store look like at week 2, week 4, etc?

My 52 YO Female neighbor had THR done 5 weeks  ago.  She was slowly walking unassisted at week one and walks without a limp now.  She claims there is still has swelling but you'd never know anything happened to her in a chance meeting.

I know things will be slower with resurfacing but are any guidelines / comments on the above?

PalmettoGolfer

Re: Post Op Activities of Daily living expectations?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »
I'll be 12 weeks out on Monday.

I can answer the questions you specifically asked, but they will only be my experience.  You can expect different results as most people on this site will tell you

"How long until I get up and use the bathroom at night?"  I peed a river the first night.  I must have gotten up 10 times.  A little wobbly, but I was able to manage on my own after the first couple of times.  They recommend that you have someone available for 24-48 hours after surgery

"When can I expect to put socks and shoes on?" Oh how I wish I could put them on the normal way.  Flexibility is still an issue for me (you may be fine).  I use a sock-putter-oner (or whatever its called) for my socks and a long shoe horn for the shoes.

"What clothing will I be able to manage?  When can I put on blue jeans?"  With a dressing stick?  All of them. Along with the sock thingy the dressing stick was a life saver for me.

"What will going to the store look like at week 2, week 4, etc?"  This is my op day +16 from my original post.  It will gradually improve from there.

Wednesday post op +16

Doing very well, still have some residual swelling which is being stubborn.  I am back at work (IT) so there's a lot of sitting.  I'm finding that I need to get up about every 30 minutes or so to work it out.  I also may be walking a bit more than I should, nothing major and it's not hurting during the walk but it may be contributing to the swelling hanging around.

Sleeping is still an issue, can 't get comfortable on my back, finding that I end up on my stomach during the night (not all the way but half way with the pillow still under my operated side.  Don't notice any pain but I'm trying to stay on my side it's just difficult to control at night.

Overall I think I'm on track and feeling better every day.

EDIT:  Walking-I'm walking without either cane or crutch.  Slight limp but that's getting better every day as I continue to work on my stride.  Stairs are still good leg up and operated leg down.  Trying to work on that to build muscles.  I can go either way with a "normal" step with assistance from the hand rail.

Trying to maintain a slow and steady pace.

I hope this answers some of your questions

You're in good hands with Dr Gross so you can cross that off of your worry list if you have one  :)

LarryBud

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply PG.

Iím pleased that bathroom excursions can be a solo event.  Thatís better than expected.

I must admit that Iím disappointed to hear that one canít put socks on at 12 weeks without aids.

Can you tie the shoes up once you use the long shoehorn?

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 01:56:27 AM »
How long until I get up and use the bathroom at night?

Unless you want to pee your bed I suggest it that very first night! I've had both hips done (five years apart). I'm a single woman living alone. I managed. I have never peed in my bed.

Before you leave the hospital you will have PT and occupational therapy where you will walk, they will show you how to navigate the tub, stairs, dress yourself, etc. They're not going to release you until they know you can look after your basic needs, home partner or no.

When can I expect to put socks and shoes on?

Welllll......this all depends. Using the sock putter onner thing and a long handled shoehorn you will probably do this at the hospital before you live. Without implements? This varies from person to person. Some people can do this after a few weeks. Then there's me. For my right hip it took months. For my left hip it took a while, but not as long for my right. I would definitely say I'm on the slow end of the bell curve for this one.

What clothing will I be able to manage?  When can I put on blue jeans?

For the first several days you'll probably stick to pjs and sweats. As you start to feel better there are no limitations on clothing. That being said, many people have a seriously swollen leg for a bit, which would probably put the kibosh on skinny jeans until it reduces. Using the implements you can put on anything that feels comfortable to you. The implements are helpful. After surgery your muscles are week. The adductors can really take time. This means that standing up and putting on pants without implements is difficult to impossible for a while.

For all clothing it's really individual. Some people can stop using the implements sooner than others. Even is you have the other hip done later you may discover that hip heals differently. There's no right or wrong, or specified time. It's what feels comfortable to you.

What will going to the store look like at week 2, week 4, etc?

Grocery delivery is a blessing. I advise stocking up in advance as much as possible, and keep as much stuff at grabbing level as possible. Week 2 would be tough. You'll probably still need a walker or crutches, and be fragile. You won't be able to carry much. Two weeks after my most recent surgery I did get in my car, walker and all, and drive 20+ miles each way to a preferred pizzeria for their pi day special. So it can be done (I had my neighbor bring the pies in my house). By week 4 you should be down to a cane. Use the cart for support. Don't try and carry a case of water up the stairs. Use common sense.

You will heal up. The first few days are tough, you're fragile for the first couple of weeks, but you'll notice progress on a daily progress.

Buy a deluxe hip/knee replacement kit from Amazon. You'll use all that stuff. Bungee shoelaces will make your life easier. Good luck!

LarryBud

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »
Thanks Catfriend,

There is so much info on the long term ( which is why we do this in the first place ) but I'm trying to set my expectations for the first few days, weeks, months.

Reality that this is going to happen is beginning to settle in.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 03:54:01 PM »
Hey LarryBud.  Lots of good stuff here, and I'll add my $0.02.  I had one hip done 9 years ago, and one 10 months ago.

Bathroom:  The hardest part of getting into bed, in my experience, is lifting your operated leg.  For my first surgery, my wife would help me lift the leg and then pivot into bed.  I eventually figured out that you need to put your non-operated leg UNDER the heel of the operated leg, and use it to lift the operated side.  Then you can just pivot into bed.  Get out the same way.  I needed to do this for a few weeks on hip #1.  Interestingly, for hip #2, I was able to lift the operated leg without assistance by day 3 or 4.  I think that is because in the intervening years, I did a LOT more lower body work than I had ever done before, and so was just much stronger.  You've got time, so if you can strengthen your lower body and core before surgery (and without too much pain), do it.

Socks/Shoes:  For both surgeries, I bought a pair of slip-on shoes........no laces.  I also have an extra-long shoe horn which helps.  Tying shoes takes a while, and when you DO reach them (at least for me), it is in a different way.  I USED to tie my shoes by simply bending down, and I eventually got there.  But, even now 10 months out, I'm tying my shoes the modified way.  Instead of just bending at the waist, imagine doing a short lunge on the operated side, chest up, and lowering down to the ground.  Now you can reach your laces.  This is still what I'm doing, but - to be honest - I have NOT worked on my flexibility nearly enough.  If you really focus on stretching (AFTER your six months), you'd be ahead of me.  Socks are a pain in the butt, and I STILL (remember the not working on it thing) have to sit on a chair and sort-of pull my foot up to the chair.  I had my wife help me for 4-6 weeks, as I had lent someone the sock putter-onner and never got it back.

Clothing:  You'll definitely need a set of grabbers.  Underwear is a pain at first.  You basically have to put them on the ground, get your feet in, then use the grabber to pull them up.  If possible, I would avoid blue jeans for maybe 3-4 weeks.  Shorts or sweats are easier.  Shorts are easier than pants.

Going to the store:  This can vary a LOT.  My first surgery, sitting/driving was not comfortable for almost 4 weeks.  If I went at week 2, it was not as the driver.  Fast forward 9 years (which means 9 years older), and I could easily drive at 2 weeks.  Again, the stronger your legs and core are before surgery, the faster (in my experience/opinion) you'll get back to routine things. 

Hope this helps, and don't fret:  Dr. Gross is absolutely the best!

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats