+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: If a Ceramic resurfacing fractures.. you are screwed right?  (Read 1067 times)

Hippyu

If a Ceramic resurfacing fractures.. you are screwed right?
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:26:29 PM »
The fragments will always be in your hip and will make getting a metal thr/resurfacing almost impossible.. as the ceramic particles will grind away at the metal.

LDub

Re: If a Ceramic resurfacing fractures.. you are screwed right?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »
Hey Hippyu

To address your subject: I do not believe that is the case. Ceramics prosthetics for total hip have been through several decades of development (currently in their 4th generation) and current ceramics have a very good track record. Ceramic fractures are very rare. Less than one in a thousand. And fractures are often in the liner not the actual ceramic.

Do a few searches on pubmed (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/) or take a look at these papers:

Incidence of Ceramic Fracture in Contemporary Ceramic-on-Ceramic Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Meta-analysis of Proportions. December 17, 2019 DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2019.12.013

Ceramic-on-ceramic bearing fractures in total hip arthroplasty: an analysis of data from the National Joint Registry PMID: 28768777 DOI: 10.1302/0301-620X.99B8.BJJ-2017-0019.R1

Small head sizes (usually 28mm or so) and heavier patients have a greater risk of fracture. But that head size is found in total hip arthroplasty. Not resurfacing.

I'm only speculating on what I've read but I believe if the prosthetic does crack it is dealt with rapidly (as the patient typically can't walk on it). And revisions are performed on them. But you should speak to your surgeon about this if you have questions.

As this site is focused on hip resurfacing you may actually be referring to ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing and not replacement(?)  In that case there really isn't any data yet on fractures with CoC resurfacing.

However, consider that the resurfacing CoC prostheses (there are two currently in trials) will be fourth generation, that there is actually no ball involved (your own femoral ball is resurfaced and would not be anywhere near 28mm, usually 40-60mm depending on the sex and size of the patient) and that patients typically have lower BMIs than total hip patients. Ceramic fracture will probably be even less likely with CoC resurfacing.

My two cents anyway ;)

Cheers.

24/09/2021  RBHR (ReCerf CoC) Koen De Smet Age 60

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:49:42 AM »
Great answer, LDub!  Pretty good for a newbie....... :P
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

LDub

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:58:18 AM »
Thanks Andy. I hope you are keeping the rubber side down :). Nice bike by the way. I had never heard of Fezzari. Looks like a sweet ride. Hope you're healing well.

Cheers.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »
All healed up and back at it.

I hadn't heard of Fezzari either, and two summers ago I did a 3 hour endurance race on my dinosaur of a bike.  Fezzari was all over the place, so I looked into it.  They're a direct-to-consumer brand, made in Colorado.  I looked up a LOT of reviews, and they were all glowing.  Basically, you're getting a much higher-end bike for the same money, as there is no middle-man markup.  For basically the same money, I got a carbon frame and a few other doo-dads, whereas if I got a Trek it would have an aluminum frame.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

LDub

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »
Nice. I have an 2018 YT Jeffsey I bought online. It's been great. But I think the specs on those Fezzari bikes are bit better for the money than even YT. Might have to keep them in mind if I need a new bike after my hip resurfacing :). New bike day is always a good day!

Cheers.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM